Ping Kilikini

Old June 21st 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Kilikini

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...

There are a huge number of people who fall through the cracks - they
don't have enough money to afford individual insurance, but they're too
"wealthy" for public assistance (ie, Medicaid). The poverty line for
most public benefits in this country is so low that it leaves many
people who actually do need assistance out in the cold.

I have friends in the US who are engaged, but not married, and the odds
are, they may never actually be married because...

While each is single, as two single people they qualify under a state
plan for insurance for low-income people. They are able to get
assistance with medical care, drugs and discounts for gym membership.

HOWEVER, if they were to get married, the household maximum-income is
considerably less than the maximum-income for two single people. It's
as though it were assumed that if they married, they would have kids
and one of them would not work, or work part time, while caring for the
kids.

Since, I'm married, under 40, with no dependents and my husband makes too
much money at lets, say, well under $20,000, it was so hard to get funding
for me. My husband makes too much money. Yeah, okay. Anyway, the point
is, we've considered getting a divorce so that I could get help. It was
going to be a last option, but we discussed it.

Thank God I found a private agency that gets funding through rich
individuals who are willing to help. The surgeon and hospital get paid
through this, so no further money comes out of Americans pockets.

It's a win-win situation.

kili

Old June 21st 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:
"alex" wrote in message
. ..

Yes, except the Medicaid system is very unreasonable (and varies
from state
to state even though the program receives federal funding). I had
emergency
surgery back in 1993, the very day I was supposed to start a new
job and would have been *fully* covered by insurance from day one
if I hadn't been rushed off the the hospital instead. The woman in
the hospital social services office essentially told me later that
because I didn't have children I may as well not bother applying
for Medicaid assistance. It was
her experience they would turn me down flat.

Jill

Untrue, I am a breast cancer survivor and have worked in hospitals
for over 30 years. From what I can tell the hospital asked how
Kilki would satisfy her bill. She was asked for a deposit which she
didn't have she was assigned a social worker, I don't think she has
filed the paper work. If her application is complete but not
approved often the hospital will provide services since they can
bill retro-actively.
http://ahca.myflorida.com/Medicaid/pdffiles/sos.pdf

People do have to spend down there assets but Kilki doesn't have
any. But you do have to provide information. The quickest way is
to go to the local office and file in person. Call her state
representative to assist her.

Kilkini needs to have the lump out (it may not even be cancer) and
she needs to do take the proper steps ASAP.

I was never assigned a social worker, though. *I* found a social
service agency that's in the process of helping me (and I've sent off
all the paperwork), but I also found funding through a private
organization called Healthy Women Today that's funding the entire
thing. I went to another surgical consult on Monday (I like this
surgeon better, anyway) and they're pushing up my surgery. It's
supposed to be Friday, but the funding may not come through in time.
I'm expecting a phone call from a hospital today to tell me where I
have to go and when.

I'm going to have two lumps removed under local anesthsia. They will
then send the lumps to the pathologist for the biopsy. If cancer is
present, I'll have to come back for a second surgery to remove the
lymph nodes, which will then be tested. If they're clean, I'm good.
If they're not, I have to decide upon radiation or a mastectomy.

The important thing is that the surgery is covered AND I have filed
for disability/medicaid for any future problems.

It's been such a long ordeal, but there's finally light at the end of
the tunnel.

kili

I am *so* glad to hear this, Kili. I hope your surgery can happen as
soon as possible and that it even turns out that your lumps were benign.
Hugs and purrs,
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 21st 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:

The important thing is that the surgery is covered AND I have filed for
disability/medicaid for any future problems.

It's been such a long ordeal, but there's finally light at the end of the
tunnel.

I'm so glad that the funding is sorted now. Now you have to concentrate
on getting better. When I had my thyroid gland removed due to a
malignant tumour, a nurse at the hospital said the best thing patients
can do to fight cancer is to keep their spirits up. All the stress you
had to go through to find funding is so counterproductive and I'm so
sorry you had to jump through all those hoops. I hope it didn't
aggravate your condition, and we are sending loads of purrs that the
lumps turn out to be non-cancerous.

Old June 21st 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message
kilikini wrote:

The important thing is that the surgery is covered AND I have filed for
disability/medicaid for any future problems.

It's been such a long ordeal, but there's finally light at the end of

the
tunnel.

I'm so glad that the funding is sorted now. Now you have to concentrate
on getting better. When I had my thyroid gland removed due to a
malignant tumour, a nurse at the hospital said the best thing patients
can do to fight cancer is to keep their spirits up. All the stress you
had to go through to find funding is so counterproductive and I'm so
sorry you had to jump through all those hoops. I hope it didn't
aggravate your condition, and we are sending loads of purrs that the
lumps turn out to be non-cancerous.

Thank you, Marina!

kili

Old June 21st 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
kilikini wrote:
"alex" wrote in message
. ..

It's been such a long ordeal, but there's finally light at the end of
the tunnel.

kili

I am *so* glad to hear this, Kili. I hope your surgery can happen as
soon as possible and that it even turns out that your lumps were benign.
Hugs and purrs,
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness
overflow.
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Thanks, Britta!

kili

Old June 21st 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

kilikini wrote:
. ..

Purrs for the lumps to be benign.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old June 21st 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
kilikini wrote:
"alex" wrote in message
. ..

I'm going to have two lumps removed under local anesthsia. They will
then send the lumps to the pathologist for the biopsy. If cancer is
present, I'll have to come back for a second surgery to remove the
lymph nodes, which will then be tested. If they're clean, I'm good.
If they're not, I have to decide upon radiation or a mastectomy.

The important thing is that the surgery is covered AND I have filed
for disability/medicaid for any future problems.

It's been such a long ordeal, but there's finally light at the end of
the tunnel.

kili

Purrs for the lumps to be benign.
--

Thank you, Adrian! I appreciate it. I'm absolutely terrified, though!

kili

Old June 21st 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:50:51 GMT, "kilikini"
wrote:

I'm going to have two lumps removed under local anesthsia. They will then
send the lumps to the pathologist for the biopsy. If cancer is present,
I'll have to come back for a second surgery to remove the lymph nodes, which
will then be tested. If they're clean, I'm good. If they're not, I have to
decide upon radiation or a mastectomy.

The important thing is that the surgery is covered AND I have filed for
disability/medicaid for any future problems.

It's been such a long ordeal, but there's finally light at the end of the
tunnel.

kili

My Mum is a breast cancer survivor - she was diagnosed about this time
last year. She ended up having a mastectomy on one side and is now
absolutely fine - free of cancer. For various reasons, she could not
have had radiotherapy or chemotherapy, so she is very thankful that
surgery was sufficient. It's funny, for some people cancer is a
life-changing event, but for my mother it was just one more thing to
deal with alongside her various other problems. For her, I think this
was (and is) a very healthy attitude and approach to the cancer and
helped her to recover quickly and without complications.
I guess I'm trying to say two things; firstly that breast cancer
treatment these days seems to have a high rate of success if they
catch it before it escapes elsewhere, and secondly that adopting a
positive attitude that suits your personality and outlook can be the
best medicine, even if what you're doing is different from what
everyone else is doing.

Tish
Old June 21st 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Tish. I love hearing about survivors!

kili

Old June 21st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Since, I'm married, under 40, with no dependents and my husband makes too
much money at lets, say, well under $20,000, it was so hard to get funding
for me. My husband makes too much money. Yeah, okay. Anyway, the point
is, we've considered getting a divorce so that I could get help. It was
going to be a last option, but we discussed it.

Thank God I found a private agency that gets funding through rich
individuals who are willing to help. The surgeon and hospital get paid
through this, so no further money comes out of Americans pockets.

It's a win-win situation.

kili

I am so glad that things are turning around and I will keep my kitties
purring for you.

While I believe in public support for kids (ie, even though I don't
have kids, I'm glad to pay taxes to help fund education), I do think
it's ridiculous that single people seem to get more than families
without children.

--Fil