do your cats like to be held?

Old February 23rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JB

Default do your cats like to be held?

Jimmer does not. he'll tolerate it for the briefest of moments, only
until he conceives an escape plan, and only while being held on his
back. he's a big-time lap cat, though.

Buck does not, mostly. she'll get in a mood where she's just purring
and headbutting and rubbing all over me, and if I'm sitting, I can
hold her for a bit. she'll get her front paws on my shoulder, rub my
ear a couple times, and then lick it like crazy. less than a minute
later, she's done with that and must be released. she usually starts
lolling in my lap at that point. otherwise, she gets very squirmy
within a few seconds of my picking her up (unless it's pill time, in
which case I have close to a minute). she's also a lap cat, roughly
on par with Jimmer.

Grizzly doesn't generally care to be picked up, but when she does, she
is to be carried around with her front legs up on my shoulder, looking
behind me. I am to stop at each wall corner and doorway and allow her
to mark it with her face. I take the opportunity to rest my ear on
her side and take in her deep, rumbly purring. this doesn't last too
long, usually around 5 minutes. when Grizzly does not want to be
held, she doesn't get squirmy--she simply moves gently in such a way
that indicates that I must put her down, and she never jumps away
prematurely. she's not usually much on being a lap cat, though.

Jungle Jack inspired this post. even if he's very energetic and
playful, he calms right down in my arms. (I've snatched him up from
play a few times to test that theory but just go along with the
playfulness nowadays.) most of the time, he hops up into my lap, at
which point I have the option to pick him up, and I usually do.
(occasionally when I don't, he forces the issue by climbing up into
"holding" position, which is entirely too sweet.) he starts out, as
the girls, looking back over my shoulder. he rubs his face all over
my ear, sticks his nose in my ear, bites my ear, bites my beard, etc.
after a while, he'll drop down into the crook of my elbow and
practically fall asleep. I leand down and kiss his head, and he
responds with another round of ear-bashing. he'll do this for a good
20 minutes at a time, all the while relaxed beyond belief. I've never
known a cat who liked so much to be held, and even if he and I lived
forever, I'd never get anywhere near enough of it all.

Jeff
Old February 23rd 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Neither of mine like it.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 22, 10:03?pm, Karen wrote:
Neither of mine like it.

Frank, Boots, no way are you gonna pick them up. Yoda's okay with it,
and so is Bozzy. Biskit *loves* to be carried around like baby. I just
support her butt with the crook of my arm, and she clings to my
shoulder. That leaves one hand free. She'll hang on until I make her
get down.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 02:50:28 +0000, JB wrote:

[...]

TuTu is definitely a lap cat. I cannot pick her up because she is too
heavy. Every time I sit in my chair to watch TV she comes for a cuddle
and purr and she loves to be combed. Then she turns on her back so I can
comb her belly. When I am reading the newsgroups, she will often jump on
my desk then walk across to the computer table and then climb into my
lap.

Old February 23rd 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karen wrote:

Neither of mine like it.

None of mine like it, either. Smudge will tolerate it for about...
oh... 45 seconds. Then she starts squirming to get down.

Roxy hates to be picked up, so I rarely do it - but occasionally I
weaken and I can't resist. She'll brace herself against me by putting
both front paws on my upper chest and pushing back as much as she can,
all the while staring at me as though I've lost my mind.

Licky? Hahahahahahaha!!!

But they're all very affectionate, and Smudge and Roxy both love to
lie on me, cuddle and purr. Licky will cuddle under certain circumstances,
but he doesn't actually get *on* me.

Joyce
Old February 23rd 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Feb 22, 6:50 pm, (JB) wrote:
Jimmer does not. he'll tolerate it for the briefest of moments, only
until he conceives an escape plan, and only while being held on his
back. he's a big-time lap cat, though.

Francesca is the same way. She'll curve around very artfully to avoid
being picked up. She will tolerate being held for nanosecond if I do
manage to hold her, but the whole time, she looks at me as if to say,
" the second you let go of me I am SOOO out of here!" But if it's her
idea, she'll very happily sit in my lap to be caressed and admired.
When she's REALLY enjoying herself, she'll slime me and absolutely
vibrate with purrs.

Nina will tolerate being held in certain moods. And sometimes she
really seems to enjoy being picked up and cuddled. Other times she'll
claw her way up my shoulder and leap for the floor with insulting
eagerness to get away from me.. =o) She too, is an ardent lap cat, and
loves being stroked and praised when I'm watching TV in my comfy
chair. She will often curl up for a nap, but she's a little brick in a
fur coat. Sometimes the girls will share my lap happily. Other
times, they'l start to bat each other and growl, and it usually ends
with Nina chasing her poor Mama away. She's a little terror,
sometimes.

Melissa

Old February 23rd 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

JB wrote:
Jimmer does not. he'll tolerate it for the briefest of moments, only
until he conceives an escape plan, and only while being held on his
back. he's a big-time lap cat, though.

Persia doesn't like to be held, per se, if you mean picked up. But she
snuggles and cuddles with me on the couch or in bed. Climbs right up on me
when you get down to it. But only if she instigates it. My picking her up
is a questionable activity... she might tolerate it, she might not.
Sometimes she surprises me and just snuggles against me and I walk around my
apartment with her head on my shoulder. Other times, even though some evil
person front declawed her, she digs in with her rear claws and says NOOOO!
You just never know. So erring on the side of clawsion is a good idea

Jill

Old February 23rd 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

JB wrote:
Jimmer does not. he'll tolerate it for the briefest of moments, only
until he conceives an escape plan, and only while being held on his
back. he's a big-time lap cat, though.

snip
Jeff

Snoopy hates being picked up but she loves cuddles on my lap. Baggy prefers
not to be picked up though he'll tolerate it, he's never sat on a lap I hope
one day he will.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Basho and Issa *love* to be held. They would happily spend all day in
your arms. Luna and Xoxo love be be on your lap, being petted. Fez loves
the lap too, and he will enjoy being held sometimes. Rufous will let you
hold him if you show him a few fingers to lick (the boy has an oral
fetish, what can I do?). Maya detests being held, but she will happily
sit right next to you and meatloaf.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 23rd 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

(JB) wrote:

I've never
known a cat who liked so much to be held, and even if he and I lived
forever, I'd never get anywhere near enough of it all.

Jeff

Smokey doesn't like to be picked up but he will let you without too much fuss.
He likes to lay on the arm of my chair and get lovins.

Sweetpea doesn't like to be picked up but will not try to get down if you do.
She loves to sit on Dennis's lap.

Tippy doesn't like to be picked up unless you have treats in your hand. He
loves to get up in the chair with Dennis or me and get lots of lovins. He likes
lovins most of the time and will roll around on the floor, counter or where
ever else he deems appropriate while you give him lovins and kisses.

Teddy doesn't like to be picked up but will let you hold her for about 30
seconds before squirming to get down. She likes to get lovins when she is on
the cat tree or in the bathroom while we're trying to get ready for work or go
somewhere.

Kramer loves to be picked up and actually demands it! He trys to climb up my
arm so I'll hold him and give him lovins. I, of course, being a good slave will
force myself to pick him up and give him lovins and kisses and he just purrs up
a storm. He doesn't stray too far from me. If I'm not holding him he is in my
lap.

Randy
http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/