Wisconsin/domestic cat hunting

Old March 7th 05, 02:36 PM

Default Wisconsin/domestic cat hunting

Old March 7th 05, 11:43 PM
Cheryl

On Mon 07 Mar 2005 09:36:01a, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

How sick is this?
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...in+cat+hunting

We need to do something about this.

Jane

Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
--WebTV-Mail-17215-3414
html
center
body bgcolor=white text=black
br
br
centera href=http://www.epier.com/auctions.asp?71613,0,1img
src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/vintagegirl/BANNERS/EP
IER.jpg/a br
br
a href=http://members.aol.com/rebjet/ourcats/ourcats.giffont
color=black size=5banimation of our cats/a
br
-icreated by
jet

Attachment decoded: untitled-3.htm
--WebTV-Mail-17215-3414--

http://www.dontshootthecat.com/

--
Cheryl
Old March 7th 05, 11:53 PM
---MIKE---

Jane, This is a text only newsgroup. Please remove your signature
(HTML) before posting to it.

---MIKE---

Old March 8th 05, 11:44 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

What needs to be done about it--except supporting it?

Look I have 3 cats and except for the occasional irritation from where
they've hopped onto places I don't like them hopping onto--and even that
I've managed to break them from doing lately--I like them a lot, and would
NOT want anyone shooting at them. But I live in an apartment and they are
kept strictly indoors.

The urge that some feel towards shooting an offending cat--this wouldn't be
an issue if the victim's neighbor would control their animals. Too often
they don't, even when they're warned of the problem; they think everyone
around them is just supposed to put up with the problems their pet is
bringing. No wonder some feel the need to shoot.

And really, where I grew up was in a very rural setting, and it was nothing
for people to shoot stray animals with their pistol or rifle; in fact, my
own mother, herself a very strong cat lover, though nothing of doing it,
especially if the animal was a dog. If a stray dog or cat--usually dog--was
bothering your own pets or getting in the trash, you shot it--that was it.
No problems. No need to involve animal control, you handled it yourself.

If someone has a cat or dog bothering them in anyway with regards to the
animal trespassing into another's yard and creating problems, the victim
should be able to do whatever they have to do to remedy the problem. Period.
Now they of course should first let the neighbor know of the issues and give
the neighbor a chance to rectify it--to control their animals. But if they
fail to, the victim shouldn't have to indefinitely keep having to put up
with the problems bought on by the offending animal.

Of course it's not the animal's fault, it's the fault of the irresponsible
owner. But the victim needs a quick remedy without endless visits or waiting
on hold on the phone dealing with animal control if they can handle the
problem themselves. It's simply a case of speedy rectification; shooting is
a lot quicker than all the legwork one would have to do to have animal
control handle things.

And if the owner doesn't want their cat or dog shot, they should take
responsibility for their animal and control it. There is no excuses, not
even "I can't help what they do when I'm not home." No excuses, period.

So--by all means, try & reason with your neighbor first. But if they won't
listen to reason, I say--bang bang bang.

LRH

Old March 9th 05, 12:05 AM
---MIKE---

I see troll Larry is at it again. Don't respond to him.

---MIKE---

Old March 9th 05, 03:29 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

You can mis-categorize it as "trolling" all you want. I'm totally serious
about what I'm writing. Where I grew up, residents shooting any stray
animal--be it cat or dog--was par. I am still in touch with such persons and
apparently this is still the case. It's not something done by any special
wackos who love to skin cats alive or anything like that--it's common
practice among just about anybody.

The point is simple: no one should have their yard trashed by someone else's
animals, and if the animal's owner won't take responsibility for their
animal, it's ridiculous to expect them to have to go through endless
paperwork & delays dealing with animal control when shooting the offending
animal is a lot quicker.

If they trap it instead and drop it off to the dog pound, so be it.
Whatever--I am simply saying I am all for the victim taking action to
protect their property. I am totally 100% against tieing their hands telling
them such actions are abuse or whatever.

LRH

Old March 9th 05, 03:32 AM
KellyH

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message
You can mis-categorize it as "trolling" all you want. I'm totally serious
about what I'm writing. Where I grew up, residents shooting any stray
animal--be it cat or dog--was par. I am still in touch with such persons
and apparently this is still the case. It's not something done by any
special wackos who love to skin cats alive or anything like that--it's
common practice among just about anybody.

Glad you're not my neighbor! When my cat went missing, an indoor-only cat
who escaped because of a broken screen door, my neighbors actually helped me
find him. They didn't shoot him like you would have.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 9th 05, 07:21 AM

equalizer wrote:

Likewise -- make sure your ugly wife Jenifer NEVER strays into my
territory, or bang bang bang.......

Hope that's not a mercy f*ck :-)

Old March 9th 05, 12:48 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

"KellyH" wrote in message

Glad you're not my neighbor! When my cat went missing, an indoor-only cat
who escaped because of a broken screen door, my neighbors actually helped
me find him. They didn't shoot him like you would have.

--

I might very well have done as your neighbor did. Let me say--his (or her)
solution is better than shooting them. I'm all for it.

What I am referring to is when you have someone who doesn't try & control
their animal, and their animal is always roaming about getting in your trash
cans, hopping on the hood of your just-waxed car, et al--and the owner takes
no responsibility for it even after they've been warned numerous times, or
helped out like you were.

Then, in such cases, I think the property owner being victimized needs the
latitude to take action to protect his belongings and keep invaders out of
his trash cans, off the hood of his expensive car, etc.

But, if they can do what your neighbor did and it works out that way, that's
fine by me--and, again, in fact, that's a better way.

LRH