Winter essentials: Snuggle Safe, Heat Reflecting pads,..??

Old November 18th 05, 05:11 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Winter essentials: Snuggle Safe, Heat Reflecting pads,..??

Kiran wrote:

Heat reflecting mattresses?

I cut up a $3 thermo-reflective mylar space blanket and used pieces to line
two of the cat beds, putting it between the foam and the cover. One of the
cats really seems to love them, another seems put off by the crinkely noise
it makes. The others are indifferent to them and prefer to sleep on my
furniture or inside the cat carriers w/ fleecy kennel pads.

Old November 18th 05, 05:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Kiran, we've used Snuggle Safe for an older kitty who didn't move too
much, she liked it. We put in under towels.

The thing our cats like best though, is our electric blanket. They LOVE
it! We call it the "cat magnet." I always have my side on high, and they
are always crowding me out of bed. We even leave it on during the day,
and we have a lot of seemingly boneless cats sprawled all over.

Rhonda

Kiran wrote:

For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
Heat reflecting mattresses?
A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?

You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

Old November 18th 05, 05:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:11:31 -0600, 5cats wrote:

Kiran wrote:

Heat reflecting mattresses?

I cut up a $3 thermo-reflective mylar space blanket and used pieces to
line two of the cat beds, putting it between the foam and the cover. One
of the cats really seems to love them, another seems put off by the
crinkely noise it makes. The others are indifferent to them and prefer to
sleep on my furniture or inside the cat carriers w/ fleecy kennel pads.

Where did you find the space blankets? This sounds like a good idea. It
is always colder on the floor where the cats usually are. MLB
Old November 18th 05, 06:58 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rhonda" wrote

We even leave it on during the day,
and we have a lot of seemingly boneless cats sprawled all over.

I love this description! When I brought Gracie home from the
shelter she did what I called "the boneless cat" in my arms, always
with her head facing to the right so that I had to pet her with my
left hand. (Always when I was standing.) I figured out that one
of the volunteers who loved on her was left-handed, and of
course had to stand because there was nowhere for humans sit
in the crowded room. It was hilarious because she just completely
relaxed with her little flat, wedge-shaped head in the crook of my
elbow.

Old November 18th 05, 07:11 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Cats, at least my cats ususally find a warm spot such as snuggling with my
wife and I. Or theiy can be weird; in the summer find the hottest place in
the house or in the winter the coldest one and I'm in Ohio. I'm looking for
a microwave heatpad for the stray we've been feeding, she's beautiful, but
she won't come in. We have a cat carrier to block the wind. People simply
leave their cats, appalling, isn't it?

--
"Other than telling us how to live, think,
marry, pray, vote, invest, educate our

Old November 18th 05, 07:17 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Kiran wrote:

Heat reflecting mattresses?

I cut up a $3 thermo-reflective mylar space blanket and used pieces
to line two of the cat beds, putting it between the foam and the
cover. One of the cats really seems to love them, another seems put
off by the crinkely noise it makes. The others are indifferent to
them and prefer to sleep on my furniture or inside the cat carriers
w/ fleecy kennel pads.

Where did you find the space blankets? This sounds like a good idea.
It is always colder on the floor where the cats usually are. MLB

Most camping supply stores will have them.
I got a 4 pack from sportsmansguide.com, 1 to cut up, 3 to stash in the
car for emergency use.

Old November 18th 05, 11:51 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

How do you keep your cat on the floor? I got only one and she took over the
whole set of my furniture.. *grin*

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

news