Dry and wet -- one cat's experience

Old March 4th 10, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Dry and wet -- one cat's experience

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

I did. I spent most of my time outdoors in the warm weather.

Perhaps you should have watched the natural feeding behavior of cats in
the
wild.

They were wild. No one was feeding them.

Do what math? We're discussing cats, not "math."

If the math confounds you, I'll make it a little easier for you: If

cats
eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period, how often do they eat?

I never saw a cat out hunting 20 hours a day. Nothing confounding about

it.

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period". That is not
the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day. Don't convolute my statements
...Stick to facts and don't add what was not written...

You seem to have watched
a colony where you live

Yep that's it.... How did you know? lol Actually, I know a guy who

knows
guy who saw a feral colony across the highway once as he was driving by.

Yep, that it here where I live also.

I was being facetious. Actually, we manage 32 colonies totalling about 500
cats. We have TNR programs in 4 counties in 2 states.

Three feral colonies no one fed or
cared about and another is starting up again. Only this time I'm feeding
them.

If you're feeding the colony, I hope you plan to spay & neuter all of them.

They do not hunt 10 to 20 hours a day for 10 to 20 small meals a day.

From where are you getting this "hunting 10- 20 hours a day"??? You're
trying to disprove a phrase *you* conjured up. Once again, I said "cats eat
10 to 20 small *meals* over a 24 hour period". Not "cats hunt 10 to 20
hours a day". You seem to have a serious reading comprehension problem.
Don't convolute my statements ..Stick to facts and don't add what was not
written...

and are convinced all cats are out hunting every 1
1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a day. That's not what I witnessed with several

colonies
here in TN.

Okey dokey. If you were watching a managed colony that was feed twice a
day, you weren't observing the natural feeding behavior of cats.

Who said it was a "managed" colony fed twice a day? Stick to facts and
don't add what was not written.

I said "*if* you were watching a managed colony". You didn't say if the
colony was managed or not. You seem to have a problem understanding what you
read.

These were cats that were born and died in
abandoned barns/outbuildings. No one fed them. No one even went near the
places.

....but you know their feeding pattern over a 24 hour period.....? Okey
dokey. lol

Do you know what this saying means: "The frog at the bottom of the well
thinks the whole sky is only 3 feet wide"?

I know what I saw with these colonies. And again you're WRONG. They

didn't
only eat small prey endlessly and hunt continuously 10 to 20 hours a day,

I'm just curious, are you dyslexic? You keep saying "hunt continuously 10
to 20 hours a day". I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour
period." You're confusing *meals* with *hours*. Do you make the same
mistake at restaurants? "I'll have a well done hour with a side order of
minutes". lol

they were often seen dragging rabbits and squirrels and young turkeys into
the brush. They drag then between their front legs as lions do.

If you want to cite websites that discuss dry verses wet cat food,

read
mine. It was the first factual discussion and the best, and from

where
all
the other sites obtained their references.

ALL the other sites? ALL of them? :-D

That's right.

I don't see what that has to do with free feeding grain filled dry

foods.
know which is better = their natural diet - meat!

But you obviously don't know what their natural feeding behavior is!

Of course I do. I lived right by 2 wild colonies here in the midstate.
They didn't eat small prey endlessly and hunt continuously 10 to 20 hours

day.

"hunt continuously 10 to 20 hours a day." Again you said it! lol! Try
reading a little slower- you might not miss so many words and actually
understand what's being said. lol

None of them did. Mothers with kittens to feed were seen out hunting
more than the others. That was about all.

If cats needed 10 to 20 meals a day, they wouldn't thrive on the 2 or 3
meals most people who feed wet/raw foods feed them. They would turn into
skeletons, sicken and die. My 2 are thriving and growing beautifully on 3
meals a day.

You're joking, aren't you? If you're not, you have a lot to learn about
feline nutrition. A can of cat food contains between 180 and 200 kcals. A
neutered, indoor cat has a daily energy requirement (DER) of about 18-20
kcals/lb. Since you're not too good with math, that translates into about
160-180 kcals/day for a 9 lb. cat or about 1, 5.5 oz can or 2, 3 oz. cans of
cat food a day. That's why your cats survive on 3 meals a day.

An average mouse contains about 30 kcals, young mice even less. Insects and
other small prey cats eat contain much, much, less. Cats in nature eat to
meet their DER. That is why cats in nature eat 10 to 20 small meals over a
24 hour period. Intact, feral cats have a much higher DER than neutered
cats- 240-300 kcals/day.

But then the discussion was free-feeding HOUSE CATS, not the
feeding behavior of assorted wild colonies.

We sure are, Einstein! lol! *You* said "Soon he'll learn he has to eat
everything at one time as cats do in nature and not nibble all day long." .
I replied: "Ah- but in nature cats *do* eat all day long:". That's what got
me into this. Can't you remember what you're discussing? lol

I wasn't talking about free feeding dry food - you were. I was

discussing
the natural feeding behavior of cats. You convoluted the discussion into
another dry vs wet debate.. as you always do.

Do you realize you look ridiculous disputing a fact that has been
well-studied and documented for decades?

To you, anyone who disagrees with you looks like a fool.

That's because unlike you, I don't get into arguments over topics I know
nothing about.

Now where are the
studies proving cats spend 10 to 20 hours a day hunting small prey?

I've already provided highly credible references- I'm not going to do any
more of your homework for you. Do your own homework, you might learn
something and realize that you don't know as much about cats as you think
you do.

Old March 4th 10, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

"Phil P." wrote:

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period".
That is not the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day.

My most recent inductee was trying to survive on bugs in the area
here. He might have been hunting 20 hours a day...

If you're feeding the colony, I hope you plan to spay & neuter
all of them.

I think she does not realize the harm in feeding cats that then
have babies who mostly die horrible deaths.
Old March 4th 10, 09:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period".
That is not the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day.

My most recent inductee was trying to survive on bugs in the area
here. He might have been hunting 20 hours a day...

If you're feeding the colony, I hope you plan to spay & neuter
all of them.

I think she does not realize the harm in feeding cats that then
have babies who mostly die horrible deaths.

Hey.....Don't lay the blame for that on her. For millions of years cats and
many other animals have died horrible deaths.....Since long before Humans
walked the earth. Put the blame for that where it belongs.....Directly on
the shoulders of your God or Gods. (or whatever mythical creature you
believe started this universe)

Old March 5th 10, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period".
That is not the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day.

My most recent inductee was trying to survive on bugs in the area
here. He might have been hunting 20 hours a day...

If you're feeding the colony, I hope you plan to spay & neuter
all of them.

I think she does not realize the harm in feeding cats that then
have babies who mostly die horrible deaths.

Hey.....Don't lay the blame for that on her. For millions of years cats

and
many other animals have died horrible deaths.....Since long before Humans
walked the earth.

Just because animals have died horrible deaths long before humans walked the
earth, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to prevent as much suffering and
death as possible whenever we can.

Put the blame for that where it belongs.....

If an individual perpetuates or contributes to the suffering and death of
animals the blame falls directly on them.

Directly on
the shoulders of your God or Gods. (or whatever mythical creature you
believe started this universe)

You don't have to believe in a god or gods to have compassion and sympathy
for animals.

Old March 5th 10, 09:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period".
That is not the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day.

My most recent inductee was trying to survive on bugs in the area
here. He might have been hunting 20 hours a day...

If his diet was mostly bugs-he would need to eat many times a day. The
number of meals a cat needs to eat depends on the caloric content of the
meals. The lower the caloric content of the meals the more meals the cat
needs to eat.

If you're feeding the colony, I hope you plan to spay & neuter
all of them.

I think she does not realize the harm in feeding cats that then
have babies who mostly die horrible deaths.

Probably not.

Old March 7th 10, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period".
That is not the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day.

My most recent inductee was trying to survive on bugs in the area
here. He might have been hunting 20 hours a day...

If you're feeding the colony, I hope you plan to spay & neuter
all of them.

I think she does not realize the harm in feeding cats that then
have babies who mostly die horrible deaths.

Hey.....Don't lay the blame for that on her. For millions of years cats
and many other animals have died horrible deaths.....Since long before
Humans walked the earth. Put the blame for that where it
belongs.....Directly on the shoulders of your God or Gods. (or whatever
mythical creature you believe started this universe)

Don't blame the gods of olympus or whatever you're talking about either.
Life and death are just part of the natural order.
If the cat lived at all, it was one lucky (and blessed) cat.

Old March 7th 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (3/7/2010 12:15 AM):

"Phil P." wrote in message

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period". That is
not
the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day. Don't convolute my statements
..Stick to facts and don't add what was not written...

If they're not hunting - where the hell are they getting 10 to 20 small
meals a day? The mice and birds aren't coming to them! If this whole
thing is about you wanting to feed your cats dry kibble.... don't
bother. Just feed them whatever you want and ignore anyone who may
disagree.

I've already provided highly credible references- I'm not going to do any
more of your homework for you. Do your own homework, you might learn
something and realize that you don't know as much about cats as you think
you do.

There is nothing in what you provided showing cats must have a full bowl
of kibble in front of them 24/7.

End of conversation.

I think you got things misconstrued somewhere. I don't believe Phil P.
has *ever* suggested a cat get kibble. Years ago, he's one of the folks
that helped me get Meep the "carbivore" on wet food, to combat her cystitis.

jmc
Old March 8th 10, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

news

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

[...]

Yes, but it's the, "Natural order" that I like to complain about. (Even
though I can't do much about it)

Old March 8th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

I said "cats eat 10 to 20 small meals over a 24 hour period". That is

not
the same as cats hunting 20 hours a day. Don't convolute my statements
..Stick to facts and don't add what was not written...

If they're not hunting - where the hell are they getting 10 to 20 small
meals a day?

Now you're implying I said cats don't hunt, which of course I did not.! lol!
Are you trying to be this funny or do you really have a problem
understanding what I'm saying? What part of "cats in the wild eat 10 to 20
small meals over a 24 hour period" don't you understand? Cats could
probably do well on 7 or 8 meals a day if adult mice are plentiful.

The mice and birds aren't coming to them! If this whole thing
is about you wanting to feed your cats dry kibble....

Do you realize you're arguing with yourself? Where did I say I want to feed
my cats dry kibble? You made that up just like you made up I said cats hunt
10 20 hours a day, and cats don't hunt. You twist and covolute what's
actually being said and then you argue about it.

don't bother. Just
feed them whatever you want and ignore anyone who may disagree.

Okey dokey.

I've already provided highly credible references- I'm not going to do

any
more of your homework for you. Do your own homework, you might learn
something and realize that you don't know as much about cats as you

think
you do.

There is nothing in what you provided showing cats must have a full bowl

of
kibble in front of them 24/7.

End of conversation.

Oh no you don't! You're way too much fun to let go! lol

Old March 8th 10, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

"Somewhere"? How about everywhere? She didn't get anything I said right.

I don't believe Phil P.
has *ever* suggested a cat get kibble.

I wonder from where she got that? lol

Years ago, he's one of the folks
that helped me get Meep the "carbivore" on wet food, to combat her

cystitis.

jmc

How's Meep doing?

Phil