Looking for a vet... What questions should I ask?

Old October 8th 03, 05:31 PM
Al Kondo

Default Looking for a vet... What questions should I ask?

My wife and I are caring for two orphaned kitties that we found
abandoned in our garage. We love them and are doing our utmost to
make sure that our home and care is the best we can provide. We took
them to a vet a week ago.... one that was recommended by some friends.
I was a little uncomfortable with a couple of responses to some
questions I had. Specifically, I was uncomfortable with:

1. He recommended that we feed the cats a dry food diet following the
8th week. I know that there is quite a controversy over wet and dry
food. My research on the internet has convinced me that wet, canned
food is the way to go. It seemed that he didn't know that there was
an issue here.

2. I asked him about his attitude about declawing cats, and, he
responded that he would do it if requested by the owner. My wife and
I are convinced that declawing is not what we want for our cats.

From the above, I am beginning to explore other vets in the area. I
will ask them the questions that derive from the above issues.
However, are there other questions I should ask that are important in
selecting a vet for our two kitties? Also, are we being too
idealistic to think that vets would have a view closer to ours
concerning food and declawing?

Thanks, Al Kondo
Old October 8th 03, 05:52 PM
Iso

Over-anxiety can push owners to jump from one veterinarian or treatment to
the next, whether conventional or holistic. This can overwhelm and confuse
your Pet's body, never allowing any one method a chance to work. On the flip
side, worry and discouragement can lead owners to give up on medical
treatment without really trying. Don't let yourself be hurried into medical
decisions. Give treatments a chance to work and make any changes
purposefully and carefully, in cooperation with your veterinarian.

Finally, learn to have faith in the power of healing. Life always seeks to
right itself -- and remember it's just a cat. It's impossible for the cat to
have the complete range of emotions that humans possess. Don't inflict human
feelings on your feline. These things have a way for working themselves out.

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
[...]

From the above, I am beginning to explore other vets in the area. I

Old October 8th 03, 09:51 PM
Shawn & Michelle

One thing you can do before paying to see a vet is to call around
and ask what each vet's opinion is on declawing. I see several in
our phone book that advertise that they do declawing, so those that
do that wouldn't be for you! Our vet, who is a feline vet only,
absolutely will do not declawing. I respect her opinion on that a
lot, not the least reason is that she is probably losing some
potential earnings because of her stance. But I know she has the
best interest of the cats in mind, which is great!

I'd say that if you are not comfortable with a vet, check out
others! I brought my hamster to a vet that I'm not at all
comfortable with - she was walking out the door as I was asking
questions! The questions she did answer were vague and without
explanation. So, the end result is that the next time I need a vet
for a non-feline in the family, I will search out another. I think
it's important to be comfortable with our vets, dentists,
physicians, etc.....for the entire family.

It's marvelous that you're so caring with your kittens! They are
lucky little critters to have found you!!

Michelle

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
[...]

From the above, I am beginning to explore other vets in the area.

Old October 8th 03, 11:14 PM
MaryL

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
[...]

From the above, I am beginning to explore other vets in the area. I
will ask them the questions that derive from the above issues.
However, are there other questions I should ask that are important in
selecting a vet for our two kitties? Also, are we being too
idealistic to think that vets would have a view closer to ours
concerning food and declawing?

Thanks, Al Kondo

In addition to issues raised by the other replies, I would suggest that you
would check with other people in the area -- in other words, those who love
their pets. They are often your best source of information concerning the
quality of care that is received. Who do they prefer, and why? Does their
vet show a truly caring attitude? How comfortable are they (and their pets)
with their vet? Also, make sure that arrangements have been made for
evenings and weekends in case of an emergency. Is there a 24 hr. contact
number (usually done on a rotating basis with several vets in a community).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly:
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old October 9th 03, 01:07 AM
PawsForThought

From: (Al Kondo)

My wife and I are caring for two orphaned kitties that we found
abandoned in our garage. We love them and are doing our utmost to
make sure that our home and care is the best we can provide.

Congrats!

1. He recommended that we feed the cats a dry food diet following the
8th week. I know that there is quite a controversy over wet and dry
food. My research on the internet has convinced me that wet, canned
food is the way to go. It seemed that he didn't know that there was
an issue here.

You are correct, a wet food diet is definitely better for the kittens. In my
experience most vets aren't too knowledgeable about nutrition and often push
products that they sell in their office. What they learn is mostly from sales
reps.

2. I asked him about his attitude about declawing cats, and, he
responded that he would do it if requested by the owner. My wife and
I are convinced that declawing is not what we want for our cats.

Please, whatever you do, don't listen to that vet and declaw your kittens.
Declawing is actually the amputation of the last digit on each toe and is
extremely cruel. Unfortunately, many vets declaw cats as it's a money maker
for them.

If you are into natural care, you can find a holistic vet at
www.altvetmed.com,
which lists them by state. In the alternative, maybe you can ask around to
other people you know in the area who have cats and see if they can recommend a
good vet.

Good luck,
Lauren

________
Old October 9th 03, 01:07 AM
PawsForThought

Old October 10th 03, 05:50 PM
Kalyahna

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
My wife and I are caring for two orphaned kitties that we found
abandoned in our garage. We love them and are doing our utmost to
make sure that our home and care is the best we can provide.

Congrats on the addition to your family!

We took
them to a vet a week ago.... one that was recommended by some friends.
I was a little uncomfortable with a couple of responses to some
questions I had. Specifically, I was uncomfortable with:

1. He recommended that we feed the cats a dry food diet following the
8th week. I know that there is quite a controversy over wet and dry
food. My research on the internet has convinced me that wet, canned
food is the way to go. It seemed that he didn't know that there was
an issue here.

While it's possible for vets to either attend seminars on feline nutrition,
and to take courses in their education on that as well, it doesn't mean that
they do or have or ever will. You can certainly ask if the vet has studied
nutrition or can provide proof of working nutritional knowledge beyond a
high school graduate's knowledge (which may involve certificates for
completion of nutrition seminars). Ask the vet what he or she feeds her own
cats and pay attention to whether they actually mention that, or if they're
trying to sell what's in the office.

2. I asked him about his attitude about declawing cats, and, he
responded that he would do it if requested by the owner. My wife and
I are convinced that declawing is not what we want for our cats.

His response isn't really surprising, at least not in the US. Most vets
declaw. A lot of them do so without questioning the reasons behind it. It
may be this specific vet that doesn't seem to care, but it doesn't mean
every vet in that clinic have the same ideas. Call around and ask about
declawing policies. See if they offer behavioral counseling (sp?) as an
alternative to declawing (keep in mind that vet schools primarily teach
medicine, not behavior - that requires more schooling and/or training).

From the above, I am beginning to explore other vets in the area. I
will ask them the questions that derive from the above issues.
However, are there other questions I should ask that are important in
selecting a vet for our two kitties? Also, are we being too
idealistic to think that vets would have a view closer to ours
concerning food and declawing?

You can ask about their stance on age for alteration (spaying or
neutering) - some insist on waiting until six months, some will perform the
surgery as little as two pounds (but if you're interested in that option,
make sure to find an experienced vet).
You should always feel comfortable asking anything of your vet, and you
should always feel respected by the staff you encounter in the office. My
last vet treated me like an idiot, so I took my business elsewhere, and I
can tell you that my cats have never so enjoyed the vet. The new clinic is a
feline-only clinic, and the people I see remember me and my cat... and my
kitties loooooove the treats and catnip pillows they get... not to mention
the love. They're professional, but they genuinely enjoy their job. However,
if you choose a cat-only clinic... well, this one at least tends to be more
expensive, and you really have to know where to draw the line. My Pan had
considerable conjunctivitis (something much seen in the shelter where I
work), and if I hadn't been familiar with the problem and how it's treated
in the shelter, I might have been talked into more tests than were really
necessary. But at least this vet welcomes questions and answers honestly,
with no evasiveness.
Plus, their staff is coming (for free) to the shelter to do a presentation
and training for our staff on cat behavior and proper, safe handling. It
means a lot to me that a busy vet still finds the time for things like that,
that they recognize the importance of a humane organization.

And they have several office cats. And kitkat bars on the counter for the
humans. *hehe*

And now I'm done rambling.