Tiger's surgery today

Old October 6th 04, 02:58 AM
Elizabeth Blake

Default Tiger's surgery today

I brought Tiger back to the vet today to have her procedures done (ear
cleaning, teeth cleaning, removal of tumor). She was not happy to be back
at the vet's. While I was in the waiting room I took her out of her
carrier. She was shaking, and just curled up in my lap and stayed put.

The vet told me to call them around 4:00pm, which I did. He said that Tiger
was still very out of it. She had to have two teeth pulled but the rest of
her teeth look good. He said she had an ulcer in one ear, which they
cleaned and medicated. He said the incision to remove the tumor wasn't very
deep, but it was large. He told me to call back after 6:30 to check on her
and she was doing better, waking up more. I have to call back at 10:30
tomorrow morning to see if/when I can take her home tomorrow.

My sister asked me if they give cats any pain medication after surgery. I
never thought about that and was wondering if they do. I'm sure Tiger is
feeling really uncomfortable right now and will until she heals. I remember
when I had the two cats at worked spayed 5 years ago, they didn't get any
after-surgery medication.

--
Liz

Old October 6th 04, 04:57 AM
MacCandace

I hope Tiger will recover quickly and get back home to you tomorrow. And, of
course, I hope her tumor is benign. Yes, they do have pain meds for cats but
not all vets give it. Hopefully, your vet did. Usually if you ask, they will
even if they weren't planning on it to begin with. I don't think they usually
give it for just a spay but, in her case, I hope so. I would ask for some
tomorrow. Poor girl, that's a lot to have done at once but hopefully it will
make her feel much better in the long run.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 6th 04, 05:38 AM
Rhonda

Hi Liz,

Do they have someone that stays with her all night? Is it a 24-hr place?

I hope she's doing much better tomorrow morning. She went through a lot
today, I can see why she's sleepy for so long.

I hope you get to bring her home tomorrow and she's feeling good enough
to complain!

Take care,

Rhonda

Old October 6th 04, 10:11 AM
Phil P.

"MacCandace" wrote in message
Yes, they do have pain meds for cats but
not all vets give it. Hopefully, your vet did. Usually if you ask, they

will
even if they weren't planning on it to begin with. I don't think they

usually
give it for just a spay

Isn't that disturbing as hell? Ovariohysterectomy is actually a major
surgery - its the entire removal of a major organ.

I'm sure human females receive an analgesic after their surgery. Why is
there even a doubt that cats experience pain after surgery? Just because
cats are masters of concealing their pain that doesn't mean they don't
experience pain.

My vet doesn't give his clients the option of post-op pain medication - its
mandatory and automatically included.

Phil

Old October 6th 04, 03:04 PM
CatNipped

"Phil P." wrote in message

Isn't that disturbing as hell? Ovariohysterectomy is actually a major
surgery - its the entire removal of a major organ.

I'm sure human females receive an analgesic after their surgery. Why is
there even a doubt that cats experience pain after surgery? Just because
cats are masters of concealing their pain that doesn't mean they don't
experience pain.

My vet doesn't give his clients the option of post-op pain medication -
its
mandatory and automatically included.

Phil

Having had a hysterectomy myself, I couldn't *imagine* not giving my cats
pain medication after spaying. However, that was an "option" that my vet
gave that cost extra (of course I paid it, along with the extra charge for
IV fluids, etc.). For three weeks after my surgery I hobbled around barely
moving, moaning the whole while. Sammy, on the other hand, ran around the
day after her surgery, jumping on things and playing, and pretty much acted
as if nothing were wrong.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 6th 04, 04:08 PM