Baby is in the house

Old July 13th 15, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Baby is in the house

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:37:15 -0700, Joy wrote:

On 6/26/2015 5:45 AM, dgk wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:36:49 -0500, MaryL
wrote:

Do you have a container of spray-on Feliway, or someplace where you can
get some? If so, it could be helpful to spray some in each of their
carriers about 20-30 minutes before you start your trip. It can help to
calm the nerves for a trip like that day. Are you planning to stay in a
motel? If so, it would be good to spray it each morning before you
start driving. Or what arrangements do you plan to make for the
duration of the trip? It's good to hear that baby and your other cats
seem to be adjusting to each other.

MaryL

I do have Feliway spray and have been using it in the Cat Introduction
Room. I hadn't thought about using it during the move but of course
that's a good idea.

The plan is to leave as early as possible, stay overnight at a
pet-friendly motel at the halfway point, and get to the new house by
evening. It's about 10 hours driving for each of the two days. But it
really depends on when the movers finish loading the van. They're
supposed to arrive between 8 and 10, so hopefully we can get it all
packed by noon.

If it runs too much later than that, I probably won't be able to reach
the halfway point. Either I have to select a motel closer and drive
more the second day - not impossible, or I may have to stay in one
very empty house overnight and leave early the next morning. I'm
leaving an air mattress unpacked just in case.

Baby backslid a bit yesterday. I had to go to work and when I got home
she was more or less hiding under things. But later she came out. At
one point I looked over at the cat perch which overlooks the backyard
and realized that Baby was up there with Nipsy and Scooter. Great
progress.

Then there was the disaster of the blind kitten, but that will be
another thread.

Baby may backslide quite a bit for a while after the move, but it will
take them all time to adjust. Using Feliway at the new house, and
putting out favorite things of theirs as soon as possible should help.

I hope the movers finish quickly so you can follow your original plan.

Well, it was interesting. I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up
with the group, but I won't have my own internet until sometime
tomorrow.

The trip down from NY to Florida was fairly awful. After the movers
left I had to throw out just about everything left in the house, and
that took hours. I slept on an air mattres.The next morning I had the
van all loaded and then it took about 15 minutes to get Scooter,
Nipsy, and Marlo into carriers. Then it took about 30 minutes to get
Baby into one. I almost just opened the door and sent her back outside
but I really wanted to take her.

12 hours later we pulled into the motel at the halfway point, Dillon
South Carolina. The room was fairly pet friendly but they really need
to block off the back of the bed and the couch so the cats can't wedge
themselves back there. The cats all came out during the night, but by
7 am the next morning they were back behind the furniture and it took
another 40 minutes to get them all into carriers. Baby was again the
toughest.

The next day we arrived at the mostly empty new home. I did have a
sleeper couch and dresser and such in the 2nd bedroom, and I opened
the sleeper and let the cats into that room. Scooter had peed on
himself, so I had to clean him up and cuddle him to take his mind off
that.

It's been a few days since then. The cats spend a lot of time under
the sleeper couch but they do have the run of the rest of the house.
Mostly they're active at night and hide during the day, and Baby is
the worst. She hides behind the refridgerator, but does come out to
look around at various times, mostly at night.

Tomorrow the movers drop off all the stuff, so that should make it a
bit more interesting for them. I couldn't bring their favorite cat
tree because I had built it myself and it was not meant to ever be
moved. Too big and unwieldy. But the bed will return and we'll move
into the main bedroom. That should get things more or less back to
normal.

It's all very interesting.

I'll start to be more normal in the group as time permits. I was sorry
to hear about Spicy's pancreaitits so belated purrs there.

It has been an interesting week.
Old July 14th 15, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you made it. The cats will adjust at their own rate. Having
the movers bringing in furniture will probably cause them all to hide
again, but after a day or two, they'll start recognizing things and get
better. It may take longer with Baby.

Joy
Old July 14th 15, 12:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/13/2015 4:19 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

I can only image travelling with that many cats was um, an adventure!
When we brought Persia here she squeezed herself into a tiny ball behind
the motel room night stand. No mean feat since she was not a small cat!
She was dark grey so we couldn't see her. Despite the Do Not Disturb
sign on the door I thought for sure she'd somehow gotten out when we
went to dinner. Nope, she was just very good at hiding.

The next day we arrived at the mostly empty new home. I did have a
sleeper couch and dresser and such in the 2nd bedroom, and I opened
the sleeper and let the cats into that room. Scooter had peed on
himself, so I had to clean him up and cuddle him to take his mind off
that.

Awww, sorry to hear Scooter was upset.

It's been a few days since then. The cats spend a lot of time under
the sleeper couch but they do have the run of the rest of the house.
Mostly they're active at night and hide during the day, and Baby is
the worst. She hides behind the refridgerator, but does come out to
look around at various times, mostly at night.

Tomorrow the movers drop off all the stuff, so that should make it a
bit more interesting for them. I couldn't bring their favorite cat
tree because I had built it myself and it was not meant to ever be
moved. Too big and unwieldy. But the bed will return and we'll move
into the main bedroom. That should get things more or less back to
normal.

It's all very interesting.

Glad to hear you all made it safely. They'll adjust, it will just take
some time. Be sure they'll all in the 2nd bedroom while the movers are
doing their thing. The last thing you need right now is a lost cat!

Jill
Old July 21st 15, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:51:41 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 7/13/2015 4:19 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

I did have the tracking collars on them and needed to use the tracker
to find Baby at the motel. She had squeezed under a dresser - there
was just no way she could fit under that but she did.

The furniture arrived and we're in the master bedroom. But the toilet
leaks so until I get it replaced we're still feeding in the other
bedroom. The litter robot is working and being used but I still have
the old manual litterbox in the 2nd bedroom.

I just spent 20 minutes petting Baby. She isn't comfortable here yet
but is making some progress. The other's are pretty well adjusting.
Instead of roaming over three floors, it's mostly the same square
footage all on one level, so there is a lot of space to roam around.

I'm still using the newsgroup reader on my work computer (via Remote
Desktop) so I'll need to get that running on my local computer. That
way I can stay on the newsgroups a lot easier. But there is SO much to
do.
Old July 23rd 15, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

On 7/13/2015 4:19 PM, dgk wrote:
[...]

Yes, moving is a lot of work, both before and after. I'm glad the cats
are adjusting.