Strange Cat Laws: Is Your Cat A Law Breaker?

Old August 30th 13, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Strange Cat Laws: Is Your Cat A Law Breaker?

http://fullyfeline.com/2013/08/stran...a-law-breaker/

Old August 31st 13, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Judith

I like the one about not giving a lighted cigar to a cat. How often could
that have happened to get a law about it??
Tweed

Old August 31st 13, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Judith

I like the one about not giving a lighted cigar to a cat. How often could
that have happened to get a law about it??
Tweed

That's a good question! Then again, there are strange laws on the books
all over. My parents were teenagers in a very small town in western
Ohio. (It was classified as a village.) There was (is?) an antiquated
law on the books saying you are not allowed to walk your goose down a
city street. I never actually saw anyone attempt to do walk a goose
anywhere. I also never heard anyone call McDonald, Ohio "a city". LOLOL

http://www.naturespup.com/Articles/J...-pet-laws.html

Jill
Old August 31st 13, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Judith

I like the one about not giving a lighted cigar to a cat. How often could
that have happened to get a law about it??
Tweed

That's a good question! Then again, there are strange laws on the books
all over. My parents were teenagers in a very small town in western Ohio.
(It was classified as a village.) There was (is?) an antiquated law on
the books saying you are not allowed to walk your goose down a city
street. I never actually saw anyone attempt to do walk a goose anywhere.
I also never heard anyone call McDonald, Ohio "a city". LOLOL

We have strange laws here too. My elderly neighbour would never go out
without a coin in her pocket otherwise she could
be arrested as a vagrant.
Whether that is still so I don't know.
I doubt that our police would be interested in checking old ladies to make
sure they have a coin in their pocket.
It's all very interesting.

Old September 1st 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

We have strange laws here too. My elderly neighbour would never go out
without a coin in her pocket otherwise she could be arrested as a
vagrant. Whether that is still so I don't know. I doubt that our police
would be interested in checking old ladies to make sure they have a
coin in their pocket. It's all very interesting.

I've heard that one too and always have money on me even if I just pop
around the corner to post a letter but there again I frequently slip my
change from shops into my pockets.

Judith

best to be safe! I always have a coin in my pocket just in case. I've
never been arrested but hey, they won't get me on that one ;-)

Tweed

Tweed

Old September 2nd 13, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Dave told me once that if you didn't have at least a pound on your person the police could arrest you for vagrancy as they could argue you didn't have the fare home apparently even if you had a season ticket or something they could still arrest you. Don't know if it's ever been repealed or for that matter enforced

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 5th 13, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley" wrote in message
Dave told me once that if you didn't have at least a pound on your person
the police could arrest you for vagrancy as they could argue you didn't have
the fare home apparently even if you had a season ticket or something they
could still arrest you. Don't know if it's ever been repealed or for that
matter enforced

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

--------
Funny you should say that. I used to take out an elderly neighbour
sometimes and once she went back into the house to get a coin to put in her
pocket. I asked her why and she said the same thing, that she could be
arrested as a vagrant, but it didn't seem to need to be a pound, any coin
would do.
So I looked up the UK Vagrancy Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagrancy_Act_1824
It seems to not have been repealed but whether you would get locked up for
having no money on your person these days I really don't know. Best not to
risk it :-)

Tweed

Old September 6th 13, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

It's probably never enforced - think of all the people who go out for a
walk or a run and don't bring money along so they don't get robbed.

But it's one of those laws where, if the cops want to arrest someone and
they need a reason, that one might come in handy for them. That's the problem
with ancient laws that no longer serve a purpose. Nobody gets arrested for
it, so hardly anyone even knows about it (except old people who remember
when it *was* enforced). But then it could be applied arbitrarily when an
excuse is needed.

--
Joyce

If your kid comes out of the bedroom and says he just shut down the
government, it seems to me he should at least have an outfit for that."
-- John Waters, on the sorry style of today's rebels

Old September 7th 13, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly. I've never been arrested but I always have a few coins in my
pocket, just in case they get me on that one :-)

Tweed

..

We Have New Laws To Protect Animals in UK/Animal Welfare Laws sheelagh Cat health & behaviour 4 April 11th 07 02:35 PM
Laws of cat physics Joy Cat anecdotes 1 September 23rd 06 11:20 PM
Laws of Physics Julie and Sam Cat anecdotes 4 September 21st 06 05:10 AM