Keeping cat away from monitor: Localized ultrasonic 'no-cat' zone..

Old April 12th 04, 06:56 PM
dgk

On 10 Apr 2004 18:44:18 -0700, (Liz) wrote:

Jim Witte wrote in message ...
Hi,

Other than that (which would take quite a bit of stuff, time, money,
math, and experimentation to make), does anyone have any idea how to
teach a cat not to walk back and forth in front of a computer monitor.
Other than having the owner pet the cat rather than use the computer -
which is of course what the cat wants, althogh I think our's does it just
for spite. We would be perfectly happy if he'd just either sit off to
the side, or lay down, and we'd hapily scratch his head. But no - he
insists on wandering back and forth in front of the monitor, and
unfortunately, none of us have X-ray vision and the cat is not
transparent

Jim

Lol, this is funny. Well, I had a similar problem. One of my cats
seemed very jealous of the monitor because it got so much attention
from me that one day he simply peed on it - this was about a month
ago. Oh well, the monitor burned, obviously, and couldn´t be fixed. I
got another monitor and made a wooden box to fit it inside leaving 4
inches on each side and six inches on the top to avoid overheating. My
cats used to love sleeping on top of my old monitor too and that
problem is also gone with the box. You can make the box deep enough to
reach the edge of your table so that way the cat will not be able to
keep crossing back and forth in front of it. Wish you luck and
hopefully your kitty won´t pee on your monitor.

I have one of those cheap "monitor shelves" that attaches to the top
of the monitor with velcro and two legs that keep it up away from the
vents. It gets warm enough that the cats will sit on it for some time
though not often, oddly enough. Maybe they don't like the static
charge? It was pretty cheap ($20 or so) at the local PC fair.

That's always been my problem with the LCD kind (LED?). They're just
too thin. I mean, where is the cat supposed to sit? Talk about your
bad ergonomics...