Seeking advice - hyperthyroid cat

Old August 5th 04, 04:20 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Default Seeking advice - hyperthyroid cat

"Liz D" wrote in message

We took her to the vet yesterday, the generl outlook is that as well
as (or because of) the hyperthyroidism she also has renal
insufficiency and he thinks she is in the early or middle stages of
renal failure. He gives her a monthly vitamin shot which helps to
stabilise her condition a little.

So my main concern is to keep her as comfortable as possible for as
long as possible and hopefully be able to notice any further decline
in time to take action before things get really unpleasant for her.
The vet thinks she probably feels chronically tired and nauseous, like
a permamnet hangover.

I think, at 16, she has had a good life, especially over the past few
years when she has been our only cat and much happier and relaxed as a
result. I think spending a lot of money on blood tests, medications
and vet visits is not in her best interests, nor ours, especially as
its likely that she does not have a lot of time left. That's just my
personal opinion.

Liz D

From what you've said in this post, you may not be interested, but just in
case...

Have you seen this site for CRF? http://www.felinecrf.org/

It is excellent. Doesn't matter that the person who wrote it is from the
UK - she's made the necessary allowances, terms, etc.

Cathy