Soon to be a Meowmie again (TW and KFW)

Old January 16th 05, 04:57 AM
dgabriel

Default Soon to be a Meowmie again (TW and KFW)

Hi, everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted here on a regular basis. Most of the
time I've been posting in fits and starts, during the past few years.

But now I'm here to share some sad and happy news.

The sad news: I did post this on catslaves, but didn't have the heart to
post it twice, so I never quite managed to make my way to RPCA. Last fall,
starting in the middle of October, Harmony's appetite started to fail.
The next four weeks consisted of trips to the vet, blood tests, and meds
for appetite, nausea, and antibiotics (to fix her far-too-elevated white
blood cell count). The vet suggested an ultrasound, but the timing was
bad. First, I needed to wait for a payday, and then I had to wait because
the person who operates the ultrasound was on vacation.

The symptoms, unfortunately, were pointing toward a diagnosis of cancer,
as the vet could feel that Harmony's intestines were thickened. But we
needed the ultrasound to confirm or disprove that theory.

Meanwhile, even with me using a syringe to feed her soft cat food, and
eventually giving her subcutaneous fluids because her lack of appetite was
causing her to become dehydrated, her weight continued to drop.

Unfortunately, we never managed to get the ultrasound. On November 21,
Harmony was extremely weak, and I suspected that she was going to be
leaving for the Bridge soon. She was curled in her cat bed, the one place
she seemed to want to be during the last few days.

So I took her, IN the cat bed, upstairs from the basement. It was too cold
down there, and I didn't want her to spend her final hours alone. She used
to love to sit next to me on the extended foot of the recliner on the end
of our sofa. I'd lay down, she'd lay down next to me, and all would be
right with the world. So that's where I set her cat bed. I lay down
next to her, giving her an occaisonal pet on her side and telling her
how beautiful she was and how much I loved her. Some time after midnight,
we both fell asleep.

When I woke suddenly at about 4 AM, I reached over to pet Harmony, and
that was when I realized that she had passed peacefully in her sleep. She
was 14.5 years old, and as loved of a cat as there ever could be.

And I missed her. Moreover, losing her triggered me to miss her other two
adopted sisters who preceded her to the RB, Misty and Melody. For 28 of my
41 years, I've had at least one cat, and it hurt terribly not to have that
extra brightness that a loving feline brings to one's day.

So I talked it over with my husband, and last week we went to the local
PetSmart. It opened recently, and it has partnered with the Morris Animal
Refuge to help rehome animals.

We filled out the paperwork to be approved to adopt. It was approved, so
we visited the animal refuge this afternoon.

And started the process of adopting two 9-month-old boykitties. I love
them already. I don't think they are biologically related, but they are
about the same age, and they were both brought in as strays. They're
already friends, and they are two incredible love sponges. ) My
goodness, what purr motors they have!

No cat will replace Harmony. Ditto for Melody and Misty. I was honored to
be their Meowmy for 14.5, 13.5, and 10 years, respectively, and I'm a
better human for having loved each of those cats.

But now it's time to honor their memories, which I'll cherish forever, by
providing a OneTrueHome to two more cats in need.

So please purr that the blood tests, neutering, etc, turn out all right
for my two soon-to-be-spoiled cats. The sooner all those things are
accomplished, the sooner I can bring the boys home. And then we'll have a
REAL home again, the kind that includes both humans AND cats.

Donna (with a couple of names in mind for the new kitties, but I'll
"announce" them once I'm sure the names fit)

Old January 16th 05, 05:56 AM
Julie Cook

Donna,

We let a candle for Harmony when she made the journey to the Bridge and
Hobbes, Selena, Lacey and Sam purred her on her way. I know how you
must miss her but I'm sure she would be pleased to know you want to
honor her memory by giving the two boycats a OneTrueHome. And the two
boys don't know how lucky they are ...yet. Purrs on the say that
everything works out for you and your DH and that the boys are home very
soon.

Julie, Hobbes, Selena, Lacey and Sam

Old January 16th 05, 05:56 AM
Helen Wheels

dgabriel wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry to hear about Harmony - she sounds well-loved indeed.
Curled up next to her favourite person sounds to me like the nicest way
of all to go.
Great news that you've found two new little pals - we'll all be looking
forward to more news!
Old January 16th 05, 06:00 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 04:57:28 +0000, dgabriel wrote:

[...]

Sending purrs for a perfect match. Congratulations.

Old January 16th 05, 06:34 AM
Christine Burel

A beautiful tribute to Harmony and your dear RB kitties, Donna. I am so
sorry for your loss. I cannot think of a more honorable way to treasure
your kitties' memories than by doing what you are doing for these two
strays. Many purrs for these lucky kitties to have good check-ups; looking
forward to hearing more about them!
Christine

Old January 16th 05, 07:06 AM
Melissa Houle

dgabriel wrote in message
Hi, everyone!

SNIP
So I took her, IN the cat bed, upstairs from the basement. It was too cold
down there, and I didn't want her to spend her final hours alone. She used
to love to sit next to me on the extended foot of the recliner on the end
of our sofa. I'd lay down, she'd lay down next to me, and all would be
right with the world. So that's where I set her cat bed. I lay down
next to her, giving her an occaisonal pet on her side and telling her
how beautiful she was and how much I loved her. Some time after midnight,
we both fell asleep.

When I woke suddenly at about 4 AM, I reached over to pet Harmony, and
that was when I realized that she had passed peacefully in her sleep. She
was 14.5 years old, and as loved of a cat as there ever could be.

That sounds like the most perfect way of all to let a loved companion pass
to the Rainbow Bridge. Harmony was with you, and at home among her beloved,
familiar surroundings, and it was gentle and natural end. But I know how
sad that parting is for we humans who must remain behind for now. I
certainly missed my dear Isadora when I had to send her across the Rainbow
Bridge last spring. She had been a cat with enormous personality.

And I missed her. Moreover, losing her triggered me to miss her other two
adopted sisters who preceded her to the RB, Misty and Melody. For 28 of my
41 years, I've had at least one cat, and it hurt terribly not to have that
extra brightness that a loving feline brings to one's day.

Hugs, I know that was hard. I was lucky in that I still had Panther alive
at home waiting for me when I came back from the Vet with Izzy's empty,
terribly light carrier. It was a huge comfort to come home and find a still
living cat there.

[...]

I hope the boys both get clean bills of health. =o) They don't know how
lucky they are to have found a forever home with a loving Meowmie. The
best way to find comfort after losing a beloved animal is... to find someone
new to love. =o)

Melissa

Old January 16th 05, 08:42 AM
Marina

dgabriel wrote:
Donna (with a couple of names in mind for the new kitties, but I'll
"announce" them once I'm sure the names fit)

Nice to see you Donna. So sorry about your loss, but glad that you
decided to open up your home and heart to two new additions to the
family. Can't wait for names and pics!

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 16th 05, 09:30 AM
Krista

dgabriel wrote:
Hi, everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted here on a regular basis. Most of

the
time I've been posting in fits and starts, during the past few years.

(snipped)

I am sorry to read about Harmony, but happy you have found a couple of
new guys to love. We're sending out purrs, and looking forward to
reading more about the kittens.

------
Krista

Old January 16th 05, 04:23 PM
Victor Martinez

dgabriel wrote:
When I woke suddenly at about 4 AM, I reached over to pet Harmony, and
that was when I realized that she had passed peacefully in her sleep. She
was 14.5 years old, and as loved of a cat as there ever could be.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. However, that is the absolute best way
to go, peacefully in one's sleep.

No cat will replace Harmony. Ditto for Melody and Misty. I was honored to

Cats don't have replacements, merely successors.

accomplished, the sooner I can bring the boys home. And then we'll have a
REAL home again, the kind that includes both humans AND cats.

Absolutely! A house is not a home without cats.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 16th 05, 06:02 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 04:57:28 GMT, (dgabriel)
wrote:

[...]

Donna, I am so sorry about Harmony. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

But congratulations on the new additions. I will be purring for all
testing and snipping to go smoothly :-)

Ginger-lyn