Introducing a 3rd Cat - I think we're getting there..

Old June 4th 05, 04:53 AM
Marcie

Default Introducing a 3rd Cat - I think we're getting there..

Hi All,

Just to give an update on how Vanessa (my adopted stray cat) is doing.

It's now been 9 or so days since her spay operation, and I am letting
her wander around the house freely to explore while I am around. It's
time, I think.

Yesterday was the first time I let her out since she accidentally got
out and attacked Cleo (this past Sunday). She was very clingy and
wouldn't leave my side.

I'm happy to say that the other two are taking a bit more of a stand as
to their positions in this household and even Kidu, my sweet wimpy
fella, growled at her (from his high perch - lol).

Cleo, who is hiding under a chair in the living room, just took a swat
at Vanessa who was exploring/stalking the chair and Vanessa dashed
away. No fighting, and Vanessa wasn't nearly as vicious as the last
time. Good sign? Maybe.

Now Vanessa is laying at the entrance to my office, very placid and all
is well - till the next encounter :-) I'm hopeful that with each
encounter the cats have with one another, it will be less
painful to witness.

I'm trying to go about my business and not pay attention to what is
going on in catdom but when there is an encounter, my approach is to
just praise everybody.

I'm not certain I'll be able to leave them alone unattended by the time
I have to go to work (which is tomorrow), but I'd like to think we're
making a bit of progress.

I'll keep you all posted.

Marcie

Old June 4th 05, 06:11 PM
Alison

"Marcie" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm trying to go about my business and not pay attention to what is
going on in catdom but when there is an encounter, my approach is to
just praise everybody.

I'm not certain I'll be able to leave them alone unattended by the

time
I have to go to work (which is tomorrow), but I'd like to think

we're
making a bit of progress.

I'll keep you all posted.

Marcie

Hi Marcie,
I think its too soon to leave them alone together. You're making
careful progress and handling it the right way by praising the cats
when they are together and making it a positive experience for them .
If you're not there and any aggression gets out of hand, you'll lose
all the progress you've made so far and will have to undo any negative
feelings the cats remember from the encounter.
Alison