Katrina Recovery Update

Old March 21st 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Katrina Recovery Update

CatNipped wrote:
For those of you following my daughter's Katrina saga....

I have some *VERY* good news.

First, Erin and Greg finished putting on the new roof last weekend
(they did it *BY THEMSELVES*). They've also finished replacing all
the studs inside the house that were damaged (and while they were at
it they rearranged the floor plan to open the house up by putting a
bar between the living room and kitchen instead of a wall, and taking
down the wall that created the hall).

Then they got a nice surprise - they heard last Friday that an
out-of-state branch of their church is sending a "mission team" to
help Katrina victims rebuild. They arrived today at Erin's house.
The team includes a licensed electrician and a licensed plumber and
they were able to purchase all materials (including bathtub, sinks
and toilets) at out of state at cost (which will save Erin and Greg a
bundle since prices for building supplies along the gulf coast have
sky-rocketed). This week they will finish rewiring the entire house,
lay all the pipes and plumbing (they enlarged the bathroom so the
placement of the tub was moved), and float the dry wall. They
estimate they will be done with all this by the end of this week.
This will put them *WAY* ahead of the schedule they'd planned!

After that Erin and Greg will have to apply the wall and ceiling
plaster and paint all walls and ceilings, hang their kitchen
cabinets, put down the flooring (they're going with ceramic tile, I
think), and start replacing essential furniture (beds and table and
chairs). By then the house should at least be far enough along for
them to move back in - they'll just have trimwork and yardwork after
that.

Erin took pictures of the new roof last Saturday and she'll be
sending them, along with pictures of the result of the work they'll
be doing this week, in a week or two and I'll post them as part of
the pictorial journal we're keeping online.

That's wonderful news! I'd been wondering how they were getting on. I've
also been thinking about Gypsy and Digger, how are they doing?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 21st 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
om...
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

They're both doing fine. I'm sure they're glad to be back in their own home
too.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 21st 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-21, CatNipped penned:
First, Erin and Greg finished putting on the new roof last weekend
(they did it *BY THEMSELVES*). They've also finished replacing all
the studs inside the house that were damaged (and while they were at
it they rearranged the floor plan to open the house up by putting a
bar between the living room and kitchen instead of a wall, and
taking down the wall that created the hall).

Nice!

Then they got a nice surprise - they heard last Friday that an
out-of-state branch of their church is sending a "mission team" to
help Katrina victims rebuild.

Even nicer! What a relief it must be to get some help.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 21st 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

This is wonderful news. And it is most likely that the team will be better
qualified than anyone they could find to hire right now. Do it yourself
roofing is OK but do it yourself wiring is iffy. Bet they will learn a lot
from the pros.

Purrs that they can get into the house and be able to start of the yard as
soon as possible. I know those kids just want to be HOME.

Jo

Old March 21st 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

This is such wonderful news. Purrs that every things goes well and everyone
is back in their wonderful "new" house soon.
--
Charleen
Mr. Pumpkin

Old March 22nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Erin took pictures of the new roof last Saturday and she'll be sending them,
along with pictures of the result of the work they'll be doing this week, in
a week or two and I'll post them as part of the pictorial journal we're
keeping online.

How very exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
As awful as it was to lose everything like that, I bet they feel
really good about rebuilding their own house like that. What a glow.
Just think, in 20 years they'll be able to relax and look back on
'the time we built a house by ourselves'.
You must be very proud of them.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old March 22nd 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jane" wrote in message

Erin took pictures of the new roof last Saturday and she'll be sending
them,
along with pictures of the result of the work they'll be doing this week,
in
a week or two and I'll post them as part of the pictorial journal we're
keeping online.

How very exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
As awful as it was to lose everything like that, I bet they feel
really good about rebuilding their own house like that. What a glow.
Just think, in 20 years they'll be able to relax and look back on
'the time we built a house by ourselves'.
You must be very proud of them.

I'm extremely proud of them!

They looked at me like I was crazy, right after the storm, when I told them
this might be a blessing in disguise. But again, mom was right! ; This
was the spur that got the house put in my daughter's name at last (her
abusive, alcoholic father was finally convinced to sign over his half of the
house after he saw pictures of the wreckage). They'll have a house note
(which they didn't before since the house was paid off in 2002), but it is a
low-interest SBA loan so they'll still be better off than most people who
are paying on a house (including me). *AND*, even though it entails a lot
of physical labor, everything in the house will be new and exactly to their
liking when it's all said and done.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 22nd 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

I'm not sure how these things work, but is there any possibility of
that sorry excuse for a man (meaning the ex) sueing for half-ownership
of the house once it's restored? Does he even have a legal leg to
stand on? Do you think you should consult with a lawyer just in case?
That would certainly worry me a whole lot. There are lots of
lawyers who would at least give you an idea for a very cheap price.
Just so you'd be prepared if he does decide to do something nasty.

Old March 22nd 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jane" wrote in message

[...]

No, we had a lawyer draw up the donation papers and the ex signed them with
two witnesses' signatures and then had it notarized. I had already signed
donation papers and Erin took both documents to the courthouse there and had
the house legally put in her name.

Side notes: I made sure it was put in *just* her name as an early
inheritance - if they ever get divorced she won't have to go through what I
did with property settlement when her dad and I got divorced (he fled the
state when charged with contempt of court for failure to appear for the
umteenth back child support case - and even though he owed me over $40,000
in unpaid child support I *still* couldn't get the house in my name without
his signature - and it took the house being totally destroyed before he
would do that). I also let her and her brother know that her brother will
get her share of my present house when I die since she got this house now

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

..

Old March 22nd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

snip

I'm so glad they managed to do so much already! And for the plumber and
electrician to help them is just wonderful!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek