Kitty Flu

Old March 13th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Kitty Flu

"Cazz A" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:
"dejablues" wrote in message
"Cazz A" wrote in message
u...
Isn't it impossible to vaccinate against a virus? All vaccinations do
is stop the virus from being fatal, that doesn't stop a secondary
infection from killing the cat.
Have you been vaccinated for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella,
hepatitis? These are all caused by viruses and they are prevented by
vaccines. You have the vaccine, you do not get the disease, except in
rare instances. Cats get vaccines for FeLV , calcivirus, rabies, and
panleukopenia, which are all caused by viruses.
Good hygiene prevents secondary bacterial infections, and good care
prevents them from being fatal.

She has 11 cats. What's a dead one here or there? There are plenty more
where that one came from. They always find dead animals and really sick
animals among the population of hoarders, if only because they don't have
the sense to only take on the number of animals they can properly care
for. Cazz is patting herself on the back for coming in here and asking,
that's real love, you know. Half those cats, at least, should be rehomed.

You know what? Lu had a home before this crap with the RSPCA started. NO
cat is released from my house without at least being desexed. Roma has a
potential home since last night, an answer to one of my 4 adverts. Lu will
be desexed in 4 weeks, that's the first appointment I could get for him(I
had to wait 6 weeks for the other desexings).

I have talked to a vet(not my usual) who does housecalls, she'll be here
tomorrow.

No, actually I'm not patting myself on the back. I came here looking for
people who'd been through this before and could add their perspective to
my vet's diagnosis and prescription, but all you do is throw insults at
me.

Why do you use stupid terms like "desexed" and "kitty flu?"

Old March 14th 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

Why do you use stupid terms like "desexed" and "kitty flu?"

Adaptations. Spaying/neutering may be more accurate, but in the vast
scheme of things, desexing means just as much, requires much less typing
and I've learned on different lists to be mindful of my language.

Kitty flu was intended to grab attention as a subject, it wasn't
supposed to insult. I could've used 'feline influenza' as a topic
heading, but then many people would assume I'm a vet here to instruct.
I'm not, I'm just another person who's come here looking for
information. Technically correct names aren't normally used in casual
conversation, and I don't want to confuse people who may otherwise be
able to help me.
Old March 14th 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cazz A" wrote in message

Why do you use stupid terms like "desexed" and "kitty flu?"

Adaptations. Spaying/neutering may be more accurate, but in the vast
scheme of things, desexing means just as much, requires much less typing
and I've learned on different lists to be mindful of my language.

You're not in Kansas any more. This is Usenet. Use the correct terms so that
people know what you are talking about. Your cats have upper respiratory
infections which require a vet's care as they are really contagious and can
lead to your cats refusing to eat, which can kill them rather quickly.

Old March 14th 09, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

cybercat wrote:
"Cazz A" wrote in message
Why do you use stupid terms like "desexed" and "kitty flu?"

Adaptations. Spaying/neutering may be more accurate, but in the vast
scheme of things, desexing means just as much, requires much less typing
and I've learned on different lists to be mindful of my language.

You're not in Kansas any more. This is Usenet. Use the correct terms so that
people know what you are talking about. Your cats have upper respiratory
infections which require a vet's care as they are really contagious and can
lead to your cats refusing to eat, which can kill them rather quickly.

Ah Kansas...Yet another place I've never been to.
I was told by the vet who diagnosed Lu that he has flu. For an infection
I have no problems using antibiotics for, flu is a virus, antibiotics
don't help viruses, they help the secondary infections. It's actually
harmful to use antibiotics proactively, that's why I originally asked.

I've never had the flu. I had one cold before I turned twenty, had 2
since then. Why is it such a problem to ask about the effects of flu in
cats?
Old March 14th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cazz A" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:
"Cazz A" wrote in message
[...]

Feline influenza is viral, upper respiratory tract infections are bacterial,
for sure, but people tend to use the term "cat flu" for both things.

You can read about it he

http://cat-care.suite101.com/article...line_influenza

I imagine most people take their cats to the vet over this since it can
certainly kill them, and just like a bacterial infection, will indeed spread
through your entire clowder. You may easily have a few dead cats on your
hands if you don't get the affected ones competent vet care. All of your
cats need to be vaccinated. If you leave your cats untreated they can die
from pneumonia.

Old March 16th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

People,
We're now on the tail end of the flu. 2 cats, Oscar (ex feral grump who
took a swing at a vet nurse when he went in for his vaccination and
neuter) and Toby(one of 2 undersized kittens who were dragged from under
a washing machine that killed their mum) are getting vibravet twice a day.
Thanks heaps for all the advice. In my colony of 11, we've had no
casualties, and we're not likely to.