Sort of a Poll - cats & counter tops

Old September 3rd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Sort of a Poll - cats & counter tops

I've always considered myself lucky in that Persia shows very little
inclination to jump on tables or counters. She gets on the bed with me,
absolutely, and I love that. And before I got her Drinkwell fountain she'd
get on the bathroom counter to sip water from the running tap while I was
brushing my teeth. Once she got her own running tap, that stopped Other
than that, she has never jumped up on tables. Definitely not on the kitchen
counters.

Mom's neighbor actually *feeds* her cats on her kitchen counter. That's
where both of their bowls are. I'm not a cleaning fanatic nor am I paranoid
about germs, but this bothers me. After all, the cats have been burying cat
pee and poop with the same paws that are now walking all over the food prep
area (not just the counter where their food is).

Do you let your cats walk around on your kitchen counter tops? On the table
where you're dining? I promise I won't flame you if you say it doesn't
bother you. I'm just curious.

Jill

Old September 3rd 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:30:18 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

Do you let your cats walk around on your kitchen counter tops? On the
table where you're dining? I promise I won't flame you if you say it
doesn't bother you. I'm just curious.

Jill

On the counter tops? Sure. On the cutting board? Nope.

I don't view the counter top as being clean enough for food, no matter
how thoroughly I clean it. The cutting board is another matter. I clean
it aggressively before I use it, then again when I'm done with it. Things
that don't have to go on the cutting board, like veggies, get washed
before I put them in a dish I'm cooking so having kitty paw germs on the
counter top isn't a problem.

I actually feed Harri on the counter.

Old September 3rd 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nanny[_4_]

My cats walk everywhere and I wouldn't know how to stop them, especially as
I have to work, so I can't keep an eye on them. I never prepare food on the
counter, I always use a cutting board and/or plates.

Nanny

"jmcquown" schreef in bericht
. ..

Old September 3rd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

NO! I also kee[ Clorox wipes handy in the kitchen and both bathrooms to
wipe the fixtures and keep them clean. MLB
Old September 3rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

They know it's not allowed but all three get on the table occasionally and
sometimes Baggy and Shadow will get on the counter, the only reason Snoopy
doesn't is she is now too old to jump that high.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 3rd 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Mine do - and even if I yelled at them they'd still do it when I'm not there
so I wouldn't trust that they never did. What I do is just a quick spritz
with Windex with ammonia on the surface I'm fixing to use - counter or
table.

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old September 3rd 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jmcquown wrote:

Do you let your cats walk around on your kitchen counter tops? On the
table where you're dining? I promise I won't flame you if you say it
doesn't bother you. I'm just curious.

Caliban walks on the counters. I've tried sometimes to lift him off, but
he just boucnes right back, like a rubber ball. So mostly I just let him
hang out there. Miranda doesn't jump directly on the counter, but
sometimes, if I'm standing next to a counter, she will jump on my back
and then down onto the counter. I don't know why she does this. It's
much hihger to jump via my back. Maybe she just wants a good view of it
before she jumps on it. This happens so seldom that I let her do it.
What the hey, Caliban's been there anyway.

They both sit on the table all the time. I've never tried to keep my
cats off my dinner table. It doesn't bother me.

Old September 3rd 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Do you let your cats walk around on your kitchen counter tops? On the
table where you're dining? I promise I won't flame you if you say it
doesn't bother you. I'm just curious.

Around here the cats get to walk on anything they want. We do wash tables,
counters etc down and keep them out of the dishes and off the cutting boards
and such. I used to chase them off the kitchen and dining room furniture,
but got tired of it. We don't let them on the tables or counters when food
is on them.

Pam S

Old September 3rd 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Cinnamon is the only one who will on occasion get on the kitchen counter. I
wipe it off before I put food on it. It's part of living with cats.

We have a small table in the kitchen in front of the window. They all will
walk or lay on the table. I just clean it off before we use it.

They do stay off the dinning room table.

--
Ann
in Connecticut
. ..

Old September 3rd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Dante no-- Dante, for some reason isn't all that interested. Stinky yes.
Stinky also gets his gooshy dinner on the table top, where Dante won't
bother him. I want him to concentrate on his food in peace. A lot of the
old house rules for Stinky don't apply anymore, purposely. I look at him as
a retired gentleman who's earned some privileges.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net