care for pets

Old December 3rd 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Loving Pets

Default care for pets

My friends feed their cat canned tuna fish. I have heard this is bad
for the cat and can cause may health problems including heart failure.
Is this true?

http://www.pets-planet.info/
Old December 3rd 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

CHARTER: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

This unmoderated group is for the telling of cat stories. They can be
stories of your cat, someone else's cat or just a cat you've seen somewhere
else. The stories can be humorous or sad but should steer clear of
advocating animal cruelty in any form.
Postings advocating animal cruelty in any form are forbidden.

Cross-posting is discouraged.

Commercial advertising in general is prohibited.

With the exception of PGP (and any other similar schemes) keys, no binaries
are allowed in this group. Binaries should be posted in the appropriate
binary group with a short message directing the reader to the file location
posted here.

Old December 3rd 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:23:09 -0800, Loving Pets wrote:

My friends feed their cat canned tuna fish. I have heard this is bad for
the cat and can cause may health problems including heart failure. Is
this true?

http://www.pets-planet.info/

It's not bad as a snack but wouldn't work as a primary food. Most mammal
are able to synthesize taurine. Cats can't. That means that they need
food that has taurine added.

Cats in the wild get taurine from their prey - it's contained in raw
meat. It gets degraded in cooking and processing, so even cooked meat
isn't a decent taurine source. I don't think canned tuna contains
anywhere enough taurine either, so feeding nothing but canned tuna could
be very bad.

Dan
Old December 3rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Dan M kirjoitti:
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:23:09 -0800, Loving Pets wrote:

My friends feed their cat canned tuna fish. I have heard this is bad for
the cat and can cause may health problems including heart failure. Is
this true?

http://www.pets-planet.info/

It's not bad as a snack but wouldn't work as a primary food. Most mammal
are able to synthesize taurine. Cats can't. That means that they need
food that has taurine added.

Cats in the wild get taurine from their prey - it's contained in raw
meat. It gets degraded in cooking and processing, so even cooked meat
isn't a decent taurine source. I don't think canned tuna contains
anywhere enough taurine either, so feeding nothing but canned tuna could
be very bad.

Dan

At least over here there are tuna and other canned fish products
especially for cats. I don't have any of those at home right now, and
the brand's website only lists tuna, water, modified starch and vitamins
as the ingredients.
But then tuna for human consumption doesn't list any vitamins among the
ingredients, just tuna, sunflower oil (or brine if in brine) and salt.

I have always been under the impression that the kitty tuna was OK for a
kitty, but the human tuna was not.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old December 3rd 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Dan M wrote:
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:23:09 -0800, Loving Pets wrote:

My friends feed their cat canned tuna fish. I have heard this is bad for
the cat and can cause may health problems including heart failure. Is
this true?

http://www.pets-planet.info/

It's not bad as a snack but wouldn't work as a primary food. Most mammal
are able to synthesize taurine. Cats can't. That means that they need
food that has taurine added.

Cats in the wild get taurine from their prey - it's contained in raw
meat. It gets degraded in cooking and processing, so even cooked meat
isn't a decent taurine source. I don't think canned tuna contains
anywhere enough taurine either, so feeding nothing but canned tuna could
be very bad.

I assume the OP was speaking of "people" tuna, which also contains far
too much salt (even for people, really). Presumably tuna flavored CAT
food (a reputable brand, of course) is okay, since it would be
formulated for optimum feline nutrition.

Dan

Old December 4th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 3, 9:23*am, Loving Pets wrote:
My friends feed their cat canned tuna fish. I have heard this is bad
for the cat and can cause may health problems including heart failure.
Is this true?

http://www.pets-planet.info/

Not a good idea because canned tuna isn't nutritionally complete for
cats, I would say okay as an occasional treat I am not a great fan of
tinned tuna for myself but now and again I fancy tuna in my workaday
sandwiches and when I do I might put a small teaspoonful of it in the
cats bowl maybe once every few months but tuna is not an acceptable
food for cats unless we are talking tuna flavoured cat food but I have
heard that isn't that good for them unless it;'s part of a balanced
diet

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 4th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Loving Pets wrote:

My friends feed their cat canned tuna fish. I have heard this is bad
for the cat and can cause may health problems including heart failure.
Is this true?

[link deleted]

Adrian, I think you're right on this one - SPAM.

--
Joyce ^..^