OT. Rant

Old November 20th 04, 04:05 PM
CatNipped

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

Racism and bigotry are never right. Never. They have always been used as
an excuse to opress the minority (and sometimes even a weak majority) by
those in power.
I just told Tom that if his sister and her husband voted for the
anti-gay ammendment in their state's election, then they are not welcome
in our house. I'm sorry, but if you find my relationship so repugnant,
that you would vote to inscribe discrimination in your state's
constitution, then I do not want to welcome you into my house.
As an aside, the bible has been used throughout history to justify and
defend many horrible things, from the crusades to slavery in the US and
the oppresion of women.

How sad that someone your love loves should be that ignorant and intolerant!

{{{{{{{{{{Victor and Tom}}}}}}}}}}

There is far too little love in this cold, cruel world - it should be
celebrated in *whatever* form it comes to us. How can how someone loves
someone else *possibly* take away anything from us???!! Everyone should
have the right to love whomever they want and also the LEGAL right to
healthcare, tax breaks, critical-care visitation, inheritance, etc., etc.,
etc.

Again, how does this harm anyone else - how is it anyone's business what
consenting adults choose to do behind closed door!!!?????

I thought for a while that my son was gay - most of his friends are and,
until he started dating his finance, he never went out with women (I guess
he was just being picky LOL). If he were gay, I could not imagine loving
him any less or wanting anything else for him except to be happy and healthy
and to share his life with whomever brought him joy. I don't understand how
anyone who truly loves someone, friend or relative, could feel any
different.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 20th 04, 05:06 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I thought for a while that my son was gay - most of his friends are and,
until he started dating his finance, he never went out with women (I guess
he was just being picky LOL). If he were gay, I could not imagine loving
him any less or wanting anything else for him except to be happy and healthy
and to share his life with whomever brought him joy. I don't understand how
anyone who truly loves someone, friend or relative, could feel any
different.

Amen to that. I am the same. I've told Nathan as he has been growing up that he
is loved unconditionally. He's known for years (as I've told him this often
enough), if he is heterosexual or homosexual, he is loved - period. It really
wouldn't adversely affect how I love my son if he did say he is gay. Turns out
he's straight, but for a long time, as he gradually became more aware of issues
of sexuality generally, as any kid does as they grow up, I've always made it
clear that it's perfectly normal to be straight, gay or inbetween. Hopefully by
taking that attitude with him he's not going to be a homophobic idiot as he
becomes and adult ;-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 20th 04, 09:10 PM
Adrian

[...]

After reading your posts for several years, I cannot possibly imagine
you'd raise a child to be a bigot. Obviously you had help from Waffles
as well. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 20th 04, 09:30 PM
Yowie

wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

Well, us Aussies stereotype Kiwis as sheep loving dole bludgers.

LOL! Now it's *my* turn to be confused, Tweed!
What in the *world* is a "dole bludger"?

People who cheat on public assistance? Just a guess...

Dole=social security
Bludger=someone who does not do their fair share of work

Dole bludger = someone who claims social security and has no intention of
trying to find a job or is has a job and is illegally claiming benefits at
the same time

Here in Australia, ther is no time limit for claiming social security, and
some people claim social security for literally all their lives, often
living in government subsidised housing. The goverment recently passed laws
that people on the dole for over a certain period of time must attend
"mutual obligation" schemes such as retraining or "work for the dole" else
their benefits will reduced or (in extreme circumstances) cut off. Of course
the are any number of ways of getting around "mutual obligation" tasks, the
best way, of course is getting a permanant disability pension.

A person with a particularly caustic wit once quipped "if they worked as
hard at a job as they did avoiding work, they'd be rich by now."

(This is not meant to disparage anyone who is in genuine need of government
assistance... There but for the grace of God etc. Its the people who abuse
the system that give people on benefits a bad name.)

Yowie

---

Old November 20th 04, 09:38 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

I told her I don't want to have a friend who thinks like this. She told me
she doesn't want to have a friend that is ineducable about what is going on
in America.

Sounds to me as though she fills that description admirably!
(At least I HOPE the right-wing bigots are still in the
minority, despite the results of our election - but there
ARE otherwise rational people who voted for Bush, whatever
their reasons.)

It will be painful for me to fall out with her, but I cannot tolerate a
racist and bigot. She thinks she is right, and I think I am right.
I can't see that being a racist and a bigot is right in any country. She
quotes the Bible at me. I told her that I didn't think God was a bigot.

How COULD he/she be? Weren't we all created by the same entity?

This is hard for me. We have been friends, and we are falling out about
Bush. That was the first thing. I'll never compromise about the other
racism and homophobic stuff.
It might be the end of our friendship.

Tweed

Old November 20th 04, 11:13 PM
Sherry

Dole bludger = someone who claims social security and has no intention of
trying to find a job or is has a job and is illegally claiming benefits at
the same time

Oh, I get it. We have our share of dole bludgers too. People who claim
disability, yet at the same time work jobs for "cash" so they don't get caught.
It's not fair to the rest of the American public, especially the ones who
*truly do* need disability benefits. Or people who use ACCESS cards (that's a
credit card-thingy that low-income people can use to buy food)...and see them
buying chips, pop, decorated birthday cakes and such. Then load their groceries
up in a late-model SUV monster. Oh, don't get me started.

Sherry

Sherry