Cat Bites

Old September 3rd 03, 06:48 AM
Bill

Default Cat Bites

My cat bit me (in spite of heavy gloves) while trying to stuff her in the cat
carrier on the way to the vet today. Several times on one finger in fact. Now
that finger is swollen. No chance of rabies, since this is an in door cat -
just the two of us now. Has anyone had any experience with this. Is this
something a Dr. needs to see.

Thanks.

BillD

P.S. Shelia can be really violent when she wants to be. The techs at the vet
and I showed each other our Shelia wounds.

Old September 3rd 03, 08:29 AM
Niels Peter

Bill wrote:

My cat bit me (in spite of heavy gloves) while trying to stuff her in
the cat carrier on the way to the vet today. Several times on one
finger in fact. Now that finger is swollen. No chance of rabies,
since this is an in door cat - just the two of us now. Has anyone had
any experience with this. Is this something a Dr. needs to see.

Yes, a doctor needs to prescribe you some antibiotics right away.
Wounds from cat bites are some of the most infected wounds you can get -
mainly because cat teeth bury bacteria deep down in tissues not prepared
for this attack - because cat teeth are so thin and needle-shaped.
So see a doc ASAP!

Niels Peter

Old September 3rd 03, 08:43 AM
~*SooZy*~

"Bill" wrote in message
My cat bit me (in spite of heavy gloves) while trying to stuff her in the

cat
carrier on the way to the vet today. Several times on one finger in fact.

Now
that finger is swollen. No chance of rabies, since this is an in door

cat -
just the two of us now. Has anyone had any experience with this. Is this
something a Dr. needs to see.

Thanks.

BillD

P.S. Shelia can be really violent when she wants to be. The techs at the

vet
and I showed each other our Shelia wounds.

many year ago when my daughter was about 6 she ran in the house stepped on
our old cat and he bit her on the ankle........ I cleaned it (had 4 fang
marks) then thought no more of it, when she went to school the following day
it started to swell up and go very red and hard, I took her to our GP and
they put her on antibiotics. It did take a few days to settle down.

Old September 3rd 03, 11:30 AM
Linda E

My cat bit me on the hand once while at the vet's. The vet bill was only
$20, but, it cost me about $120 for antibiotics and a tetnus shot when my
hand swelled up *alot* the next day. Linda

Old September 3rd 03, 11:30 AM
Linda E

Old September 3rd 03, 11:42 AM
IBen Getiner

"Bill" wrote in message m...
My cat bit me (in spite of heavy gloves) while trying to stuff her in the cat
carrier on the way to the vet today. Several times on one finger in fact. Now
that finger is swollen. No chance of rabies, since this is an in door cat -
just the two of us now. Has anyone had any experience with this. Is this
something a Dr. needs to see.

Thanks.

BillD

P.S. Shelia can be really violent when she wants to be. The techs at the vet
and I showed each other our Shelia wounds.

Bitting is bad behaviour and should never be tolerated, Bill. Not for
one second. Why do you allow it? By not acting, you re-enforce her bad
behaviour.
I have found the answer, even though none of these wishy-washies
here wants to admit it. My can NEVER bites me now. He used to, but not
anymore. He spends his time now bidding for my attention and
affection. I'm telling you the truth. I can see when I scold him that
he would like to bite me sometimes, but he won't dare. I sometimes
test him by petting him when I know he doesn't want me to. When he's
in a bad mood, and he just wants me to leave him alone. I purposely
pet him just to challange him, but still he won't even try. I only do
this every once in a while, just to make sure that he is still
conforming. It's been over a year now, and I've not been bit once. But
the wife has, and she's the one who feeds him! (she always shakes her
head on that).
That's just the way it is. Strong messures must be taken to defeat
strong wills.

IBen

Old September 3rd 03, 11:57 AM
IBen Getiner

"Cat Protector" wrote in message news:ATf5b.11194$QT5.7223@fed1read02...
I would keep a close eye on it and if it gets worse than just a throbbing
pain then if things get worse go see a doctor. I have read that the wounds
from cat bites can be deep and become infected. Also an anti-biotic would be
a good thing to take and that may require a doctor's prescription. Cat bites
can also cause a bacterial infection known as Pasteurella that causes
swelling, redness and severe pain. So if you have any of that then
definately see a doctor. You never said whether or not the cat bite actually
broke the skin or not though.

Yeah. Right! He posted all this crap here because his finger swole up
by itself! And he's also worried about rabies. I think you can rest
assured that the little bugger drew blood.
I agree with everything else you said, though. Fine advice. Fine
advice.

I would like to stresss the part about taking an anti-biotic (with a
Doctor's script, of course). Cat bites can be a really nasty affair.
They are usually deep and take with then all those little squigglies
stuck on your cat's teeth. And what, with all that grooming and
all....
You really shouldn't let her get away with it, Bill. If she knows
she got away scott-free once, she'll go back to the well another time,
you can bet the farm on that.

IBen

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com