Another price increase on Hill's prescription food.

Old March 4th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Another price increase on Hill's prescription food.

It was less than a year ago when I complained about Hill's price increase
on prescription cat food. Now I got hit with another price hike.
It is about 10% hike total. At this rate, don't know how long I can keep
up. Rusty will never gain weight as I have to ration his food and he doesn't
need to go on a diet.
A case of 24 cans of I/D now costs $42.78 Canadian including 15% tax.
I wish I can get a year free supply of Hill's food like Jill does. But I did
check and the contest wasn't applicable to Canada.
Big Sigh!

The price of Rusty's cat litter went up also. May have to look for a cheaper
brand. He is using Swheat scoop.

--
Winnie

Old March 4th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
It was less than a year ago when I complained about Hill's price
increase on prescription cat food. Now I got hit with another price
hike.
It is about 10% hike total. At this rate, don't know how long I can
keep up. Rusty will never gain weight as I have to ration his food
and he doesn't need to go on a diet.
A case of 24 cans of I/D now costs $42.78 Canadian including 15%
tax.
I wish I can get a year free supply of Hill's food like Jill does.
But I did check and the contest wasn't applicable to Canada.
Big Sigh!

The price of Rusty's cat litter went up also. May have to look for a
cheaper brand. He is using Swheat scoop.

Purrs for you to be able to continue giving Rusty the food he needs. I have
no idea how I lucked into that free food deal; I never win anything!

Jill

Old March 4th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
W. Leong wrote:
[...]

I remember you mentioned entering a contest on Hill's website and told
the story of how Persia needed perscription food.
I went to the website but it won't allow any entries from Canada.
I thought of switching to I/D dry which is much cheaper. But the ingredients
are not quite the same as those for I/D can. TED did say canned food only
because of Rusty's history of urinary blockages. His last blockage 8 years
ago ended him hospitalized for a weekend at the emergency TEDs and
costing several hundreds $$. So I don't want to risk it again.

Winnie

Old March 4th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
A case of 24 cans of I/D now costs $42.78 Canadian including 15% tax.

That's pricey! Is there another alternative? Perhaps not prescription
food, but something with a similar composition? I personally don't like
Hills food because they use a lot of corn and by-products, even on their
Rx diet.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 4th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
W. Leong wrote:
A case of 24 cans of I/D now costs $42.78 Canadian including 15% tax.

That's pricey! Is there another alternative? Perhaps not prescription
food, but something with a similar composition? I personally don't like
Hills food because they use a lot of corn and by-products, even on their
Rx diet.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Note that Canadian $ is lower than U.S. about $0.88 U.S to $1 CAN.
So $40 CAN. is about $35 U.S.
With the recent rise of CAN $, I would think imports from U.S. should
be cheaper. Guess the cost of transport may have gone higher to offset
any gain in exchange rate. The first ingredients in I/D can are water and
turkey. I suppose I can cook some turkey and mesh it up with some water for
Rusty. Is there any turkey baby food ?
Plus I don't have to pay the 15% tax on human food.

Winnie

Old March 4th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
W. Leong wrote:
[...]

Yeah, Persia's surgery for crystalline oxolate bladder stones cost $900. If
it weren't for my long lost love, John, I would still be paying it off. It
was really just luck I won that years worth of food for her. The vet says
she will have to eat it for the rest of her life. So far there are have
been no recurrences of her bladder stones.

Jill

Old March 4th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
I thought of switching to I/D dry which is much cheaper. But the ingredients
are not quite the same as those for I/D can. TED did say canned food only
because of Rusty's history of urinary blockages. His last blockage 8 years

I would agree with your vet there, canned food is much better than dry
food, specially if your had has had urinary issues.
Perhaps comparing other canned foods to find something similar that is
cheaper?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 4th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
W. Leong wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
W. Leong wrote:
[...]

You are so fortunate to have such a nice LLL. I must admit my mother helps
me out from time to time, now that I don't have a job.
I think she will buy a case of Rusty's prescription
food for him on his purrsday, or rather our adoption anniversary in June.
She did that at Christmas. Rusty's TED also said that he has to be
on prescription food for the rest of his life. We already switched among
several kinds of prescription. Good thing Rusty is not fussy with his food.
But he does have a sensitive tummy.
He will be 12 years old, which is over 60 in human years. I have him for
over 10 years now. With all his health problems, it is a wonder he lives so
long. He is now older than me.

Winnie

Old March 4th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
W. Leong wrote:
[...]

How much of the year is left? Time seems to go so quickly.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 4th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
I would agree with your vet there, canned food is much better than dry
food, specially if your had has had urinary issues.
Perhaps comparing other canned foods to find something similar that is
cheaper?

You got me thinking. If I can find a similar prescription food made in
Canada,
it may be cheaper. No exchange rate or long distance transport costs.
We switched different prescription food for Rusty over
the years. I remember he was on a MediCal prescription food for maintaining
urinary health. Forgot why we switched. I checkd MediCal website and
it also has a gastro diet. Its main ingredients is duck and no corn.
So it may not be any cheaper than I/D which has turkey.
I would think duck is more expensive.
Will confer with TED when Rusty goes in for his annual vaccination next
month. Come to think of it, TED told me MediCal was bought by a U.S.
company, so there goes the Canadian angle.

Winnie