Trap, neuter, release roundup

Old October 16th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

Default Trap, neuter, release roundup

The TNR that was to take place 2 weeks ago finally got underway yesterday.
The Cat haven worker who originally gave me the dates had incorrect
information on when, but everything else was correct. We had some surprises,
a more complete effort for the first day, and a few new faces in the traps
who seem to have kept themselves out of sight previously.

Scruffy, the most battle scarred and wary of the crew was a concern. I
didn't think he'd be likely to come near the traps after all the human
commotion. He actually walked into one while the humane society worker was
still here and was straddling the pedal in the trap, eating away. I was able
to reach past him with a stick and trigger the trap. Easy one!

Bubbles, domesticated as they get, and housebroken, surprised us all. The HS
worker tried to transfer him from a trap to a carrier. He did one of those
notorious feline liquid pretzel moves and got away. I managed to call him
back a short while later and get him in a carrier. Boy was he ****ed when he
figured out what I was doing. As soon as the door was closed, he lunged at
me, slapping front paws down with his head and ears lowered, hissing and
obviously not happy.

Spook, brother of Bubbles, was figured for a difficult catch but really put
up a hell of a fight. He wanted nothing to do with the traps, no matter what
bait was in them. He finally took an offering of dry food on the ground. I
was able to sneak up on him and pick him up. He was fairly cool about it
until a carrier was placed on the ground, then all hell broke loose. It
ended with me having to pin one front leg up alongside his head while
isolating his rear legs at the hip. It took one more set of hands to manage
him and another to hold the carrier. He struggled all the way, and everybody
involved bled a little. He was finally in with no harm.

Mr. Jingles was also figured for a tough catch, but surprised everyone. He
accepted an offer of dry food, allowed himself to be picked up and loaded
into a carrier without any struggle at all. He even turned around in the
carrier and accepted head scritches through the grille.

Most of the rest went without incident. the litter of 4 kittens wasn't too
bad either. They're about 5 months old now. Two went in the traps almost
right away. The other two were hard sell after witnessing most of the others
being caught. They kept circling the traps, trying to fish the food out
through the sides and back of the trap, but wouldn't venture inside. After a
few hours, I placed a hot chicken wing about halfway into the trap, where it
could be reached without tripping the thing. Sure enough, one of them went
for it. Now that he had confidence he could get it, take the food and
escape, I placed the next wing up beyond the trip pedal. Sure thing - he
went in and set off the trap. Lather, rinse, repeat, and his brother was in
a carrier too!

The traps that were left overnight yielded one more female that is always
very reclusive and another female tabby that was never seen around here
before. I'm thinking it was 12 cats total that were taken at my residence.
This includes a few that neighborhood kids caught and brought over for
transport.
So far, I know of around 28 or so rounded up in just a few hours last night.
The trapping effort continues today.
Animals will be neutered today, released tonight or tomorrow. Any testing
positive for feline leukemia will be put down. Those with medical needs will
be treated before they are returned.

This is the first TNR in this area. I'm hoping the success will impress the
county commissioners enough to pry some money loose for future efforts.

Old October 16th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
krazy

[...]

Very good. Too bad you could not find homes for some of the younger
kittens / cats.

Old October 16th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"RobZip" no wrote in message
[...]

Go You!

Must be a good weekend for trapping. We got 4 males that have been eluding
us all summer. We had to trap overnight to get two of them and then the
other two wandered into the traps during the day. We've been after some
kittens but have found that our kitten traps aren't working properly. The
little guys ate well this weekend but are unfortunately still out there.

I'm hoping the possum we caught took notes and will avoid the trap in the
future.

I've got two out back in traps now to take over to the vet this afternoon
for surgery tomorrow.

Glad we got these guys now. It's supposed to rain all week here. I think the
other volunteer is going to try trapping the kittens again today when she
goes back to release the ones who were neutered over the weekend.

Old October 16th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..

I'm hoping the possum we caught took notes and will avoid the trap in the
future.

Oooohh. Don't count on it. Possum be dumb like an old red brick. I was
trying to trap a sick cat a few years back and the same darned possum got in
the trap 3 days in a row.

Old October 16th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..
I think the other volunteer is going to try trapping the kittens again
today when she goes back to release the ones who were neutered over the
weekend.

There is a bit of a dilemma here with the sheer number of cats involved and
so many of them looking alike. I'm told that the ones being returned will
have a small dot of orange paint placed between their ears so they can be
easily distinguished from ones that may be missed in this initial trapping
session.

Old October 16th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In ,
RobZip purred:
"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..
I think the other volunteer is going to try trapping the kittens
again today when she goes back to release the ones who were neutered
over the weekend.

There is a bit of a dilemma here with the sheer number of cats
involved and so many of them looking alike. I'm told that the ones
being returned will have a small dot of orange paint placed between
their ears so they can be easily distinguished from ones that may be
missed in this initial trapping session.

Even better than orange paint (which wears off as fur falls out & new grows
in) is ear-tipping. A 1/2 to 1 inch portion of the tip of one ear (the
standard seems to be the left) is snipped off while the feral cat is still
under anesthesia, so that one can tell sterilized ferals from those that are
still breeders. this helps avoid the re-trapping of sterilized ferals, and
performing an unnecessary op (referring to females here).

Old October 16th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"RobZip" no wrote in message
. ..

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..
I think the other volunteer is going to try trapping the kittens again
today when she goes back to release the ones who were neutered over the
weekend.

There is a bit of a dilemma here with the sheer number of cats involved
and so many of them looking alike. I'm told that the ones being returned
will have a small dot of orange paint placed between their ears so they
can be easily distinguished from ones that may be missed in this initial
trapping session.

The ones done at the spay day over the weekend have their ears tipped. The
ones our vet does get notched but the notch is so small as to be almost
useless. Fortunately some are unique colors or color patterns so we
recognize them when we see them. We had a calico in the trap Sunday morning
that we had spayed back in the spring. She was as calm as could be and
almost looked like she knew she'd get released so it was worth a while in
the trap for the good, smelly food.

We finally trapped out 'tattle tale' cat. The one night it looked like he
was sitting out by the trap warning off all the others. We didn't get anyone
that night thanks to him. Ditz walked right into the trap himself yesterday
afternoon.

Old October 16th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Edna Pearl

That's awesome. I was just recently reading about the local TNR program in
the vet's office the other day. I think my family used to BE the TNR
program in this community before TNR had a name, when the community was
smaller. We grew up on a farm (which is now divided up amongst us kids), we
love cats, and ferals tend to accumulate (and reproduce, if we don't get to
them first) around the farm. During some seasons, my brother brings
grunches of them to the local humane society for a voucher and then on to
the vet. Then we have the joy of watching them playing in the gardens and
barns, like exceptionally beautiful wildlife, especially in the evenings.
(Our domesticated indoor cats sit on the windowsills and get excited -- it's
like prime time TV for the indoor kitties.)

We name some of them, and refer to them collectively as "the runtbrains."
(Not very nice, I guess, but an apt description of their goofy antics.) If
a newcomer has a litter, we try to get homes for the babies at the right
time, but it's kind of like there's a window of opportunity, where you want
the mama cat taking care of them for the appropriate length of time, and you
don't want to bother the mama too much during that process, then once
they're weaned you have to get them used to people before they go
irretrievably feral. My brother (next door) is really good at it, but it
takes a lot of attention and understanding that I can't muster the time for.
We joke that my brother and sister-in-law run a "cat farm." People who want
a cat know to come to him and ask, "You got any spare cats at the moment?"
I got two of my three that way -- and they are beauties. (My third cat was
a dumping victim that somebody rescued from the middle of the street in town
and took to my vet's office on a day when I happened to come in. She didn't
spend enough time with her mother before she was dumped, so she's got some
behavioral and health problems, but I'd swear that as a result of her rescue
she is the personification (felinification?) of gratitude for simple
pleasures.

It's great that TNR is so organized now in so many communities.

ep