Need trapping help/encouragement

Old November 3rd 04, 08:41 PM
KellyH

Default Need trapping help/encouragement

Hi,

It's over three weeks now that Antonio's been missing. I have 5 traps set
around the area. I've moved some of them around a bit, trying to cover the
area as best as I can. There has still been no sign of him. I've been out
looking for him at different times of the day, I've talked to many of my
neighbors, and looked everywhere that I can. There are so many places
around here he could be hiding (woods, under decks/porches, sheds, etc).

Anyway, about trapping. I've tried a few different things, like putting
cardboard or newspaper in the bottom, nothing on the bottom, tuna, mackerel,
or canned cat food for bait, heating the bait for smell. So far I've mostly
caught possums, one raccoon, and a neighbor's cat several times. At one of
the traps, the food often dissappears without the trap going off. My
husband has adjusted the sensitivity, and I know that the trap works because
the neighbor's cat has been caught in it. I like to think this is Antonio,
but I have no idea.

I feel like I'm in my own little Fear Factor with the trapping stuff. I'm a
squeamish person, and some of the stuff I'm doing makes me want to throw up.
The mackerel is so f'ing GROSS! It comes in this oil, and it looks
horrible, like chum. When I change the bait, there's usually slugs in with
the old mackerel. Is it really necessary that I use mackerel? We rarely
eat fish, and I can't remember Antonio being particularly interested in it.
I've thought maybe I should just use his regular food. The things he would
go wild over were sliced turkey, pizza crust, and mashed potatoes. None of
those are fragrant, but might he might be attracted to them.
The other nasty thing is the possums. Several times when I've caught a
possum, which is every other night sometimes, they **** in cage! Do you
know how gross it is to clean out possum ****? Any way I can avoid catching
possums? My husband read something about using catnip oil. I went to
Petsmart today and couldn't find any, just that spray stuff. If I can
locate the catnip oil, that would be much less gross for me to deal with.

Some other things: I am really doing anything productive to get Antonio
back home by setting these traps blindly, without even knowing if he is
around? What about building a shelter in hopes it will attract him? DH
thinks that might just attract every critter in the neighborhood? Should I
set the traps, now that it is getting cold? It's going to be below freezing
at night soon in this area. I would hate for anything to freeze in the
traps overnight.

Thanks for any help.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 3rd 04, 10:46 PM
Gail

Hi Kelly: You can experiment with the traps in relation to different foods.
Yes, he may not be in the area. Have you covered the trap with twigs and
leaves? Was he a feral? (I don't remember your first posting). Do you have
the old litter that you can sprinkle outside around the perimeter of the
property? You're are doing your best and that's what counts.
Gail

Old November 4th 04, 05:42 AM
Rhonda

Hi Kelly,

I know you've said you've talked to neighbors, have you asked them to
open up all garages, sheds, etc., to see if he might be trapped inside?
I've heard so many stories of cats hiding somewhere and the door getting
shut on them. I heard a cat one morning a few months ago in the
neighbor's tool shed, thank god, because I caught the neighbors just as
they were ready to leave on a 1-week vacation.

I don't have any practical trapping advice for you, but I wish you the
best. I admire you for your persistence! I was just thinking about
Antonio this week, hoping there was good news. I still have all fingers
crossed.

Rhonda

Old November 4th 04, 05:48 AM
mlbriggs

KellyH wrote:

[...]

Don't use the traps in cold weather! Purrs that you will locate him soon.
MLB

Old November 4th 04, 02:34 PM
Rene

"KellyH" wrote in message news:5obid.52448$R05.29729@attbi_s53...
Hi,

It's over three weeks now that Antonio's been missing. I have 5 traps set
around the area.

Kelly,

I've been sending good thoughts your way, hoping you'll catch him
soon. At this point, it would not hurt to try other foods in the trap,
especially things that he loves. Someone in another thread mentioned
using KFC popcorn chicken--worth a try.

Headbutts to your household

Rene (and Tucker and Benny kitties)

Old November 4th 04, 03:43 PM
KellyH

"Gail" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi Kelly: You can experiment with the traps in relation to different
foods. Yes, he may not be in the area. Have you covered the trap with
twigs and leaves? Was he a feral? (I don't remember your first posting).
Do you have the old litter that you can sprinkle outside around the
perimeter of the property? You're are doing your best and that's what
counts.
Gail

Yes, he's a semi-feral. Very, very scared when I first got him. Finally
got to a point where he wouldn't run from us, but we couldn't pick him up,
either.
I've tried the litter from the litterbox, I admit not religiously. Maybe I
should try that again.