Ping Sheelagh

Old June 24th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Ping Sheelagh

On 23 Jun, 23:36, Igenlode Use-Author-Supplied-Address-
] wrote:
On 23 Jun 2007 sheelagh wrote:

[snip bobcats]

You know what? In the UK, the domestic cat is actually still
considered to be on the wild life list.......
The same as a Fox, or Badger, or even a viper..( the only poisonous
snake that is native to the UK.) I am sure that there must be plenty
more out there, dumped or abandoned, or even escaped from people
keeping them who are simply too frightened to go to the authorities &
admit that this has happened to them.

The Scottish wildcat isn't *quite* the same thing as a pet cat gone
wild, despite the fact that the two species are capable of
cross-breeding. I'm not sure feral moggies are reckoned as 'wildlife',
even here ;-)

(I believe our pets are supposedly descended from African desert cats
via the Ancient Egyptians and Romans, rather than the native European
forest variety...)
--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower http://ivory.150m.com/Tower/

* Never assume malice when ignorance is a possibility *

The Scottish wildcat isn't *quite* the same thing as a pet cat gone
wild, despite the fact that the two species are capable of
cross-breeding. I'm not sure feral moggies are reckoned as 'wildlife',
even here ;-)

I don't know about Scotland, Sorry! Do you have wild cats(as such) up
there?

I only know that cats are on the wild life list in England, merely
because when I went to enquire about running a cattery, our local
council told us that the cat side of affairs was of no consequence,
however, the bit about running a cattery as a business was altogether
different because it is classed as running a business from your home.
I was quite surprised to hear this, because I couldn't imagine that
they were still on it.. Rather than added recently, it has been on it
for a long time..

Perhaps I miss understood. I will check to make sure on Monday for
sure
S;o)

Old June 24th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 23 Jun, 05:17, "mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote:
sheelagh wrote:
Hey I know you had a post about rabies take a look at what we have to deal
with here in Florida

[quoted text clipped - 34 lines]

Good God!
You know what? In the UK, the domestic cat is actually still
considered to be on the wild life list.......
The same as a Fox, or Badger, or even a viper..( the only poisonous
snake that is native to the UK.) I am sure that there must be plenty
more out there, dumped or abandoned, or even escaped from people
keeping them who are simply too frightened to go to the authorities &
admit that this has happened to them.

By showing me these photographs, you have helped me build a better
picture of the difference between what we consider to be wildlife, as
opposed to what we would consider to be wildlife, if you see what I
mean?

I found the photos to be fascinating, truely!

The thought of being able to lean out of your window and watch a
family of Bob cats acting rather like a pride is something that we
really have no grasp on over here. I have "never" seen an opossum
before either. I had a picture in my minds eye of a ferret looking
sized creature, that might attack a cat that might be caught unaware.
I had no grasp on what the reality of a opossum's size, features or
appearance. In fact, Imagined that it might even be a creature that a
cat would have a good fighting chance against, should they come up
against one, actually!

I "should" have known better really, coming from hotter climates....

I now see how wrong my assumption was!

And the tarantula spider was just the icing on the cake really...?!!!
Bob cats are massive, their kittens make my cats look like cuddly
toys, the opossums are like gigantic badgers, & the thought of finding
one of those spiders in my shoe/ bed, or anywhere really, is enough to
make me break out in a cold sweat;o(
I am so glad that you saw fit to share this album with me. It has
certainly put a few things in better perspective for me now. Thank you
Marii.
You have no idea how much this has helped me appreciate why you all
see things so differently in the USA.

I really do hate this, for and against arguments, that pop up their
ugly heads so frequently between us all.

It paints a far clearer reason as to why you all feel so passionately
about keeping your cats indoors. It is because of the differences in
our wildlife couldn't be more different if we lived worlds apart.
Because we don't have the same fear factors over here, it is hard for
us to appreciate why it is such a big problem with you all, if you
understand what I am trying to describe?

Perhaps if we faced the same hazards that you do, we could understand
and appreciate why you feel this way. It has certainly made me rethink
why you all choose to keep your cats & kittens indoors.
And, if we faced the same ones, we would feel the same way that you
all do too.

So far, we have been so lucky not to have these problems to contend
with, which is why the vast majority of us don't understand your
fear's, & choose to allow our cats to roam where they please.
Personally, I have had a few bad experiences which is why I choose
only to allow my own cats out whilst I am with them. Nonetheless, it
is not Rabid dogs that we have to contend with. It is a far worse
predator...Called Human Beings. The worst & most unpredictable
predator of all. disgusting, but true all the same...

No Rabies, no poisonous snakes, no Bob Cats, wolves, Foxes & other
predators either. Only humans which is really sad.
However, having said that, how lucky we are....
S;o)

I didn't intend this to drag out the indoor-outdoor discussion(?) at all,
just to show you some other interesting pictures of bobcats, although I can
see it isn't such a big leap into that other subject. My son isn't at all
bothered by the wildlife he sees around him, but for me, it's so different.
I'm Canadian & live in Toronto - wildlife here? rabbits, racoons, skunks,
various small garden snakes, owls, bats, some hawks & falcons, too many black,
gray & small red squirrels, foxes, deer. Nothing terribly unusual. The
biggest threat to cats here is traffic, dogs running loose & the 2-legged
predators as you've mentioned.
M.

I didn't intend this to drag out the indoor-outdoor discussion(?) at all,
just to show you some other interesting pictures of bobcats, although I can
see it isn't such a big leap into that other subject. My son isn't at all
bothered by the wildlife he sees around him, but for me, it's so different.
I'm Canadian & live in Toronto - wildlife here? rabbits, raccoons, skunks,
various small garden snakes, owls, bats, some hawks & falcons, too many black,
gray & small red squirrels, foxes, deer. Nothing terribly unusual. The
biggest threat to cats here is traffic, dogs running loose & the 2-legged
predators as you've mentioned.

Marii, I know that you didn't. nor did I come to that!

The reason that I decided to respond to your post & your link, was to
point out to others that we don't have the right to declare that what
other people do with their cats, is wrong! You photo's really were an
eye opener for me, & I think there are a few others that are just as
surprised as I was too.

My point was to make it clear that until I saw your post, I remained
ignorant as to what life is like in the area where your son lives. I
have no idea what it must be like to be able to watch lynx, Bob Cats,
opossums & spiders the size of my palm in your garden @ all! I was
struck between awe, & Horror. I feel the same way that you do about
the back & forth debate regarding what is best to do with your cat.

However, if a few more of us were educated in the same fashion/ way
that you explained this to me, there wouldn't be so many ruffled
feathers in the group, because it would be obvious as to why you feel
as passionately about keeping your cat protected. Only a fool would
allow their cat out in an area that you so kindly shared with us!
Do you see what I mean?

*None of us should be so arrogant* as to think that we know what is
best for another person, & the way they see fit to care for their cat,
*unless it is plain for all to see that they are mistreating their
cat.*

As Inglenode so kindly pointed out:

"Never assume malice, when Ignorance is a possibility"

I was Ignorant as to why everyone felt so passionately about keeping
their cats indoors. Without the same threats over here, it is hard for
us to comprehend why you all felt that way. Now, we know better;o)
As you know Marri, My cats spent years wondering around where they
pleased, until the day that Ringo got shot. After that, everything
changed for us & our cats too. I am no longer prepared to take that
risk anymore. I have a few photos of Ringo with his injuries. But
unfortunately, @ the time I could only get my hands on a digital
camera, so I have to find a way of scanning them so that I can share
them with you all. Perhaps if a few people saw how Ringo looked in the
first couple of days after he was shot with a BB gun @ point blank
range, they might change their minds about the threat of humans around
their cat? We don't have the same wildlife threats that you do, but
our young men/ & women can be ruthless when it comes to pointing air
rifles and shooting cats. It is a sad fact that they seem to do it for
kicks, & It make me feel sick to think that they enjoy it too.

At the end of the day, they are all predators....
And it wouldn't hurt any of us to be a bit more tolerant/respectful of
how each other feels, & respect the reasons why they feel that way,
without calling anyone else names for the way they choose to keep your
cat.

I hope this explains why I chose to respond to your post?
It wasn't to open the debate once more. I know that you know me well
enough now to know that I would never choose to bring up an
inflamatory issue without good reason & cause.

Thank you for sharing that once again,
Sheelagh
PS: How is my Coco today )

Old June 25th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 Jun, 00:55, Igenlode Use-Author-Supplied-Address-
] wrote:
On 24 Jun 2007 sheelagh wrote:

On 23 Jun, 23:36, Igenlode wrote:

[snip]

The Scottish wildcat isn't *quite* the same thing as a pet cat gone
wild, despite the fact that the two species are capable of
cross-breeding. I'm not sure feral moggies are reckoned as 'wildlife',
even here ;-)

I don't know about Scotland, Sorry! Do you have wild cats(as such) up
there?

Oh, I'm no Scot -- or even an expert ;-)

But the Scottish wildcat is definitely quite distinct from the domestic
cat; more of a miniature lynx.http://www.abdn.ac.uk/mammal/wildcat...k/wildcat.html

I don't know anything about a 'wildlife list', though; is this the piece
of law that notoriously states that the owner of a cat is not deemed to
be legally liable for any damage it commits, whereas the owner of a dog
or various other domesticated animals *is*... ?http://www.messybeast.com/retro-legal.htm
--
Igenlode Wordsmith

The Gentleman's guide to Usenet - seehttp://ivory.150m.com/Tower/GENTLE.TXT

Thank you for both links. I appreciated them, & as you say, it clearly
defines as you note, that that the law is ambiguous in this instance:
I think it would be easy to interpratate it to mean either, couldn't
you?

While cats were legally domestic animals, the term "vermin" could be
applied by gamekeepers to poaching cats. "Vermin" was not legally
defined, generally meant a noxious, mischievous, destructive or
disgusting animal, especially one of small size, common occurrence and
difficult to control. Gamekeepers had an extensive list of vermin
which they would shoot, including "poaching cats" and many species
which later became legally protected (but which they shot and poisoned
nevertheless...

Don't get me started off on this one!!

I have a friend who's cat was shot by a game keeper. It wasn't a
threat or a pest, & never hunted at all. in fact, she was a Birman
blue point Queen, with 4 kittens that were 3 weeks old @ the time.
When she didn't return after 15 minutes, her owner went looking for
her, to no avail.
the following day the Game keeper was overheard boasting that he shot
a nice pretty white cat on the edge of the forest, & even gloated that
it was excellent target practise too....!!

The owner went to the game keeper & asked where the body of her cat
was so that she might burry it in a place of her choosing, but he
denied the entire incident.

Fortunately the owner didn't give up there, & went to the RSPCA, who
investigated the case, & the game keeper was dismissed from duty
because of the overwhelming evidence against him. but this is one
single case. there are loads of incidents where Game keepers do get
away with this, because of the ambiguity of this law....
..
Finally, did you see the news in the UK today?
I noted that scotsmen now have to get a licence to wear a sporran now.
the reason for this is because the scottish wild cat fur attached to
them is from the Scottish wild cat by tradition. The cat has almost
been hunted down to critically low numbers, that they have had to
introduce this law to protect the wild cat.
Good job!!
S;o)

Old June 25th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

sheelagh wrote:
Hey I know you had a post about rabies take a look at what we have to deal
with here in Florida

[quoted text clipped - 88 lines]

I didn't intend this to drag out the indoor-outdoor discussion(?) at all,
just to show you some other interesting pictures of bobcats, although I can

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
[...]

he's usually such a good boy - although sometimes he & the little monster can
really do a number if I've been careless in the kitchen - we had a party here
over the weekend & I thought I'd carefully put away everything edible but
overlooked a paper bag of biscotti. Sure enough while we were outside, the
boys dropped the bag onto the floor & happily chewed away at most of the
broken pieces & even carried away some of their loot under the dining room
table. They never let an opportunity pass!

Old June 26th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 25 Jun, 17:24, "mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote:
sheelagh wrote:
[...]

inflammatory issue without good reason & cause.

Thank you for sharing that once again,
Sheelagh
PS: How is my Coco today )

he's usually such a good boy - although sometimes he & the little monster can
really do a number if I've been careless in the kitchen - we had a party here
over the weekend & I thought I'd carefully put away everything edible but
overlooked a paper bag of biscotti. Sure enough while we were outside, the
boys dropped the bag onto the floor & happily chewed away at most of the
broken pieces & even carried away some of their loot under the dining room
table. They never let an opportunity pass!

LOL LOL "o"
Mine do the same thing too.
Doesnt really matter what type of food it is, as long as it is food...

I took a cracking photo of one of the kittens that I am looking after
a couple of days ago, on my mobile (cell phone).All you could see was
the rear half of the kitten, coming out the rear end of a chicken
carcass. I had served dinner, everyone was eating, then there was an
almighty crash. Between him and Lilly, the Birman, they had got the
whole dish off the side, & were about to dive in to it ...

They were ever so cross with me When I took it away from them! I made
them wait until after dinner, to allow it to cool down slightly, then
took it off the bone to feed them with. I always worry that the
chicken bones are so small that they might choke on one of them....
I know exactly what you mean about naughty boys, Lol )
S;o)