My cat is attacking new small dog

Old January 25th 04, 04:38 AM
Knack

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:00:28 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Cat Protector ) said,

I have to agree. Give the dog back. I have to wonder why people mix cats

and
dogs to begin with in the same household? If the OP wanted another

animal
then get another cat so they can keep each other company.

Oh, good lord. Please stop posting your worthless, inaccurate
"advice".

To the OP- What others have told you about starting over and
introducing the animals gradually is good advice. I wouldn't
surrender the dog just yet- I'd re-approach the introductions from a
different, more gradual angle.

If the OP needs an acceptable dog, it'll be a heck of a lot faster and
easier to replace the wimpy dog rather than to try to correct the
relationship between it and the cat. Obviously the OP isn't too particular
about dogs or that dog wouldn't be of the rescue variety. Should be a quick
and easy switch if it's done soon (before OP gets attached to it, and before
the return policy of the shelter expires for that dog).

Old January 25th 04, 05:00 PM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote in
message .. .
circa Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:38:01 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Knack ) said,
Obviously the OP isn't too particular
about dogs or that dog wouldn't be of the rescue variety.

I find this statement repugnant.

I might if I could decode it. Is English CP's second language?

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

Old January 25th 04, 05:02 PM
Mary

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Laura R." wrote in
message .. .
circa Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:38:01 GMT, in

rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Knack ) said,
Obviously the OP isn't too particular
about dogs or that dog wouldn't be of the rescue variety.

I find this statement repugnant.

I might if I could decode it. Is English CP's second language?

Apologies to CP. Bad attributions. My Bad.

Old January 25th 04, 06:28 PM
Tracy

you've worked on their relationship for at least a month. It can take
that long or longer with 2 adult cats, so why shouldn't it with a cat
and a dog?

They may end up at the best of friends after three straight weeks of
attacking. You never know. And that poor little dog may never get
another chance at adoption.

Feliway is a good suggestion. Also limit their time together, if you
can, and make it clear to the cat that you are sad and unhappy when
the dog gets attacked. Be reassuring to your cat (who is simply
protecting territory from an invasion) and basically do all of the
things suggested when introducing two cats.

You cannot judge success or failure in a week.

And it will be easier in the long run for your cat to adjust to this
dog than to start all over again with another.

I know it's human nature to feel pain for the newcomer, but honestly,
they more than likely will work out a mutually tolerable arrangement
for living together in a couple of months.

And you got a pretty tough little cat. Trying to be alpha cat with a
dog is pretty ballsy :

Old January 25th 04, 07:00 PM
Cat Protector

Cats are royalty after all so the feline is making sure the canine knows
this. My neighbor has a dog, a siberian husky that he says loves cats. Of
course when this dog encountered my cats, they hissed and arched their
backs. This dog wasn't coming at them growling or in any type of threatining
manner (he is actually one of those dogs that just has a lot of puppylike
energy) but my cats saw the enemy. The interesting part of this dog is that
he reminds me of the sled dogs in that movie called "Snow Dogs." There was
one in there named Demon so I call my neighbor's dog Snow Dog. Of course his
name is Glacier.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
m...

Old January 25th 04, 07:55 PM
Kailey11

To give you all more information, I have been volunteering at this dog rescue
foundation since October and this yorkie has been there all that time (since
July 2 actually). She was living with 20 other rescue dogs and was terrified. I
kept waiting for the right home to appear for her but it never did. We didn't
know how she would do with cats. She had always been my favorite dog and I felt
protective of her. I couldn't stand to send her back with all the other bigger
dogs anymore and decided to try it. She is my first dog. I really wasn't
intending to add a dog to my family. This one just needed to get out of where
she was. In spite of the cat problem she is really coming out of her shell. I
care about her a lot and can see she would really blossom as the only animal
perhaps with a retired person/couple. But I also hate to see her go through
another move if this can be resolved.