cheapest source for Albuterol & Flovent

Old November 10th 05, 05:51 PM
No More Retail

Default cheapest source for Albuterol & Flovent

Heck Phil I added your website to our link preferred sites; ps you need a
search engine on it.
Which on is better to use for the inhalers

Old November 10th 05, 06:37 PM
-L.

Lumpy wrote:

This kind of thing happens time and again and is one reason why
Phil, for all his crankiness [] contributes more to this group than
anyone with regard to medical issues.

He's also the only one who has never given you any **** for being an
asshole.

BTW, do you always slurp him twice when he makes a post, cybercat, er,
I mean, Lumpy? Or is it Mary today? or Topaz?

-L.

Old November 10th 05, 09:47 PM
opalmirror

Default Flovent price/alternatives, asthma chamber selection and why

Hi all... a little commentary.

We find prices routinely in the 100-125 USD for the Flovent (aka
fluticasone) that Fritz receives (120 metered doses, 220ug). Note that
the 220ug is the US labeling which requires measuring the dose at the
plastic boot, in other countries the same exact product is labeled
250ug which is the dose delivered to the plastic boot - 30ug is either
deposited in the interior or escapes around the boot.

Optichamber and AeroChamber were on the market first. Cat owners and
veterinarians (even Dr. Philip Padrid) routinely modified them or to
improve the dose delivery efficiency by a number of means, including:
replacing the mask with a more cat-friendly one, by cutting out the
valving, by adding tape around the mask/chamber connection where losses
occurred.

Aerokat overcame all these deficiencies. It was designed for cats, not
humans. All three products (Optichamber, aerochamber, aerokat) were
evaluated by the Aerokat manufacturer using a 'live' physical model of
a cat's respiratory system (shape of face and nostrils and
constrictions in upper airway, lung tidal volume, flow rate,
respiration rate). The size of respirable particles and their deposited
dose in the 'lungs' of the mechanism were compared. Guess, even with
modifications, which product was the most efficient in delivering the
dose? Aerokat.

A cat's lungs are much weaker in comparison to a similar sized human (a
baby), and much less strong than the equivalent weight dog. Cats are
made for waiting and pouncing, humans are made for long walks, and dogs
for jogging for hours at a time. So you'll see the cat has the least
going for it in lung strength.

Most cats *can* use optichamber and aerochamber, but the losses on the
way to the lungs are greater than aerokat and the delivered dose lower.

As for alternative inhaled steroids to fluticasone/Flovent? There
aren't any that are as effective and this is supported both through
research and the biochemical and physical properties of fluticasone.
Important measures here are the respirable particle size (must be very
small to penetrate to the lung tissue), the therapeutic efficacy on the
lung tissue, and the flushing through the excretory process of the
steroid which doesn't make it into the lungs. From an individual
testing perspective with Fritz and several other cats on the Yahoo!
Feline Asthma Inhaled Meds group, who have tried alternatives, the
therapeutic response has been disappointing. (Thanks Phil your
information here was accurate!)

We have photos and videos of delivering the dose of Flovent with Fritz
on www.fritzthebrave.com -- take a look and you can see it takes one
hand to operate the dispensing (thanks again Phil). There are many
other ways of holding the cat than we show, as well.

Cheers,
James
coauthor, http://www.fritzthebrave.com, Feline Asthma with Fritz the
Brave!

Old November 11th 05, 02:45 AM
Phil P.

"opalmirror" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

With all due respect to Dr. Padrid, that's the marketing gimmick used to
promote the AeroKat. The AeroChamber with the infant face mask is perfectly
suitable for use in cats. The sensitivity and resistance of the valve
system does not restrict or limit inhalation. We have used the AeroChamber
on many cats with excellent results- IMO, much better results than with the
AeroKat since the cats receive the entire dose with no loss of medication.

Most cats *can* use optichamber and aerochamber, but the losses on the
way to the lungs are greater than aerokat and the delivered dose lower.

Actually, the valve and baffle system of the AeroChamber enhances fine
particle dose delivery to the lungs and reduces inhaling larger particles
that will be deposited in the cat's mouth or nasal passages and subsequently
absorbed systemically. Without the valve system, the AeroKat is little more
than a hollow tube with a mask and is as efficient as a cardboard toilet
paper core (no offense-just making an accurate analogy).

The major flaw in AeroKat is that the medication is lost if you don't get it
right on the first try or if you're medicating an uncooperative cat. At
about a $1.00 a dose, failures can quickly cause a caretaker to resort to
systemic steroids or even relinquish the cat.

[...]

The other methods might work, assuming you're medicating a cooperative cat.

You have a great site!

Phil

Old November 11th 05, 04:16 AM
Phil P.

"Lumpy" wrote in message ...

This kind of thing happens time and again and is one reason why
Phil, for all his crankiness [] contributes more to this group than
anyone with regard to medical issues. Now when my vet tells me
something I ask Phil before I make any decisions. He's really good
about keeping up with the latest information, not to mention
generous about taking the time to share the information his
love of cats has moved him to seek out and absorb. Way to
go, Phil.

What do you mean by "crankiness"? LOL! I'm not cranky, I just have a low
tolerance for assholes.

Old November 11th 05, 05:53 PM
Newsman

opalmirror wrote:
Hi all... a little commentary.

We find prices routinely in the 100-125 USD for the Flovent (aka
fluticasone) that Fritz receives (120 metered doses, 220ug). Note that
the 220ug is the US labeling which requires measuring the dose at the
plastic boot, in other countries the same exact product is labeled
250ug which is the dose delivered to the plastic boot - 30ug is either
deposited in the interior or escapes around the boot.

[Rest of message deleted]

Hi. I appreciate all the information. What's your source that you're
able to pay $100-125? The cheapest price I've been able to get is
$133.67 (and that's if you buy 6 inhalers at $800 up front).

Thanks.
Old November 17th 05, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Newsman wrote:
opalmirror wrote:
Hi all... a little commentary.

We find prices routinely in the 100-125 USD for the Flovent (aka
fluticasone) that Fritz receives (120 metered doses, 220ug). Note that
the 220ug is the US labeling which requires measuring the dose at the
plastic boot, in other countries the same exact product is labeled
250ug which is the dose delivered to the plastic boot - 30ug is either
deposited in the interior or escapes around the boot.

[Rest of message deleted]

Hi. I appreciate all the information. What's your source that you're
able to pay $100-125? The cheapest price I've been able to get is
$133.67 (and that's if you buy 6 inhalers at $800 up front).

Thanks.

Your best source for advice on all issues related to using inhaled
medication for cats with asthma would be
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/felineasthma_inhaledmeds/

We have one cat with asthma and she's been on Flovent 110 administered
with the AeroKat for about three years, no problems at all. We just buy
the Flovent at Walgreens, but it's a little more expensive there than
if you look at the sources suggested by members of the feline asthma
inhaled medication group. They show, for example, that you can get
three units of the Flovent 220 for about $332 from drustore.com. Our
cat only needs one puff once a day so it lasts longer for us, but many
cats need the higher dosages.
-Yngver