black cats

Old April 22nd 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Emma Wallace

Default black cats

On Apr 20, 8:17 pm, "
wrote:
I say a prayer to Sammy most every evening. It goes something like
this, " Sammy, if we are to live together for the next 15 years, I
want to die one second before you. I wont be able to bare living one
second without you.

I have had black cats for many many years... I dont know why, but they
are special to me. None more than my present 1 1/2 year old Sammy.

One of my beautiful cats is pure black, the one that I've had the
longest. When I went looking for a second cat I was really drawn to
the black cats because I love mine so much, but the right personality
match came in the form of a blue-cream longhair that looks very
different from my first cat. I think my overall preference is still
for black cats.

Old April 22nd 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On 21 Apr 2007 20:53:49 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

On Sat 21 Apr 2007 03:46:48a, Meghan Noecker wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

Would anybody have a photo of a cat that matches this and be
willing to send me one via email?

What about this one? I had fun searching for that description.

http://purrfectcatshelter.org:8080/i...lucky-2006.jpg

Pretty close. Jasper didn't have the white on his chest, and there
might be some white on the nose.

I used to spend hours just looking at pics, but never found what I was
looking for. Sometimes, I look at the pics on craigslist and petfinder
too. BUt I can't adopt another cat right now, so that was kind of a
tease.

A couple weeks ago, I found an ad for a free Burnese Mountain Dog
puppy. Three months old. Supposedly moving to a warmer climate. The
photo was so cute. And I really want a Bernese mountain Dog. But I
cannot get another dog right now. So, I spent several days looking at
a photo of a dog I cannot have.

Old April 22nd 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Running Scissors

Lynne wrote:

on Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:19:21 GMT, Running Scissors
wrote:

From what I hear from black cat owners, they are smarter and more
affectionate than most other cats. I read somewhere that due to this
phenomenon, there was a theory that the smart/affectionate/vocal gene
was somehow attached to the black coloring gene.

My solid black cat, Lamonte, was quiet and mean. I adored him anyway.
Also, I wouldn't call him dumb, but he wasn't anywhere near as smart as my
Rudy (orange tabby). That's just my sample of one, of course. If I hadn't
met and heard about so many insane torties/calicos, I would think the
theory you posted was completely ridiculous.

It's not my theory. It's something I read online a while ago. I, too,
thought the idea of gene pairing was out there, but who knows?
Old April 22nd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mb from pa

My solid black cat, Lamonte, was quiet and mean. I adored him anyway.
Also, I wouldn't call him dumb, but he wasn't anywhere near as smart as my
Rudy (orange tabby). That's just my sample of one, of course. If I hadn't
met and heard about so many insane torties/calicos, I would think the
theory you posted was completely ridiculous.

It's not my theory. It's something I read online a while ago. I, too,
thought the idea of gene pairing was out there, but who knows?- Hide quoted text -

One of my cats is pure black. Her name is Mischief. She is named
that because when we went to get our cats, she was climbing up the
front door of the cage. My son knew we had to have her. Well, she
lives up to her name. Out of the three cats, she's the one who will
get locked in a closet because you don't know she's there. You can't
see her. She gets up on my counters and tables (which I absolutely
hate). If she see's a bread tie,she'll get it to the ground, get it
under her paw, drag it over to the stove, and shoot it under the stove
like a hockey puck. One time I found 5 dollars, 15 hair ties of my
daughters' and numerous bread ties. But she is the most loveable of
the three. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Old April 23rd 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
snip

A couple weeks ago, I found an ad for a free Burnese Mountain Dog
puppy. Three months old. Supposedly moving to a warmer climate. The
photo was so cute. And I really want a Bernese mountain Dog. But I
cannot get another dog right now. So, I spent several days looking at
a photo of a dog I cannot have.

----------
Don't think you're alone in this. I too spend time looking at online
pictures of dogs and cats at local rescue shelters who are available for
adoption, and whom I would love to adopt but just can't. (I have five cats).
Why do we torment ourselves like this?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 23rd 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Running Scissors" wrote in message
Lynne wrote:

on Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:19:21 GMT, Running Scissors
wrote:

From what I hear from black cat owners, they are smarter and more
affectionate than most other cats. I read somewhere that due to this
phenomenon, there was a theory that the smart/affectionate/vocal gene
was somehow attached to the black coloring gene.

My solid black cat, Lamonte, was quiet and mean. I adored him anyway.
Also, I wouldn't call him dumb, but he wasn't anywhere near as smart as
my Rudy (orange tabby). That's just my sample of one, of course. If I
hadn't met and heard about so many insane torties/calicos, I would think
the theory you posted was completely ridiculous.

It's not my theory. It's something I read online a while ago. I, too,
thought the idea of gene pairing was out there, but who knows?

-------
I think calicos have a reputation for being very vocal and kind of skittish.
My Amanda certainly fits this description.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:53:56 GMT, mb from pa wrote:

One of my cats is pure black. Her name is Mischief.

My daughter and I were talking about names the other day and decided that
if we ever get a female cat were are going to name her Chievious so we can
call her Miss Chievious.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
Old April 23rd 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:37:09 -0400, "cindys"
wrote:

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
.. .
snip

A couple weeks ago, I found an ad for a free Burnese Mountain Dog
puppy. Three months old. Supposedly moving to a warmer climate. The
photo was so cute. And I really want a Bernese mountain Dog. But I
cannot get another dog right now. So, I spent several days looking at
a photo of a dog I cannot have.

----------
Don't think you're alone in this. I too spend time looking at online
pictures of dogs and cats at local rescue shelters who are available for
adoption, and whom I would love to adopt but just can't. (I have five cats).
Why do we torment ourselves like this?

I don't know. I made this horrible agreememt almost two years ago that
I would not get any more pets until I move out. I currently rent the
basement from my parents. It works out well for me, and we take care
of each other's pets.

I made this agreement so that my mom could adopt a cat she liked at
the shelter. She also agreed no more pets and she would spay the dog,
which she did.

When I made the agreement, I had Jay Jay and Kira along with my dog,
Jenny. I had no idea that Kira was going to die so young. And now
Jenny is showing her age (14). So, it is now possible that I could be
done to only one pet soon. I've had at least 2 pets since I was 10
years old (24 years). I've had 3 pets (2 cats and a dog) from age 14
to 34 with a brief spike at 3 cats and a dog.

I'm really not used to this. When thet puppy showed up, I showed the
photo to my mom and asked her why I torture myself. In all honesty, I
was hoping that she would talk to my dad (I recently learned that she
did) and that he might let me off the agreement (not a word). I really
don't want to ask, because I meant it when I agreed. And he has really
put up with a lot from us. He was not an animal lover when he met my
mom, and he ended up with a wife, 3 kids, and a grandson, who all love
animals. He pays for all the food, cleans the yard, helps with the
feeding, etc. And he rarely complains. But we know he has always
thought we have too many.

Old April 24th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Suki

Hi,

I am new to the group, and have benefited daily from the collected
knowledge of this group. Thank you!

I have been owned by my black and white Tuxedo, Suki, for two months.
Without being able to search past posts or read through current posts,
I think I would have driven Suki and David (spouse) crazy over the
past two months.

When Suki chose us I was looking for a blue-eyed, Siamese-Tabby mix.
Before now, I never considered owning a black - with character white
markings and terrific white whiskers (I think she looks like an angel
fish sometimes) cat. And now, I can't believe what an intelligient
and strong cat she is! I think somewhere along the way I had
subconsiously subscrived to some of the negative press around black
cats.

While not a lap cat, Suki likes to sit beside me on my chair and watch
movies, and likes to lay beside us througout the night.

I would like to share a picture of my sweet-pea, but am stil ltruing
to figure that out.

Thanks again!

SMS

Old April 24th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Apr 24, 12:02 am, Suki wrote:
[...]

The **** is your problem

that's what you might hear if someone disagrees with you, as nobody is
watching us.. we can post what we like.

Welcome