shots and spaying for kittens cost?

Old April 19th 04, 04:57 AM
muffin

Default shots and spaying for kittens cost?

For a kitten that is obtained privately and has NOT had all the shots,
checkups and altering, what can one expect to pay to have that done.? If I
adopt through a shelter I pay them $70-100 and the kitten as everything done
or payed for already. So I was wondering about the cost for this
alternative.

Also, do the humane societies offer these initial shots and nuetering etc ?
If so is it much less then the local vet?

Any insight appreciated
Thank you

Old April 19th 04, 06:59 AM

In article p3Igc.11509$432.3198@fed1read01, "muffin"
wrote:

For a kitten that is obtained privately and has NOT had all the
shots, checkups and altering, what can one expect to pay to have that
done.?

Males are usually much cheaper to neuter than females (males can get by
with local anesthesia while females must go all the way under).

Much of the cost will be determined by where you live, how socially
conscious the vets are there and how well-funded is your local shelter.

If I adopt through a shelter I pay them $70-100 and the kitten as
everything done or payed for already. So I was wondering about the
cost for this alternative.

Oftentimes the shelter procedures are subsidized either through
government grants or private donations of money and/or veterinarian
skill and thus are provided at cost.

Private vets must make a profit to stay in business, so expect them to
cost more. The upside about building a relationship with a private vet
is that you will then have a doctor who knows your pet (and hopefully
comes to care about him/her as much as you do).

Here where I live, the Humane Society receives funds, both private and
public, to neuter trapped ferals and strays. For $10, they will test,
vaccinate, and alter the trapped animal whether male or female. A
downside for many feral colony caretakers is that if the animal tests
positive for disease, they will be immediately euthanized without
consulting the trapper. Quite a few caretakers find this unacceptable.

This low cost program is not available for privately-owned pets,
unfortunately. For pets, the cost at the local shelter is much the same
as what you pay.
Old April 20th 04, 07:22 PM
Joe Pitt

My rescue group came up with a list of services and costs a couple of years
ago. it is at http://www.animalrescuefoundation.com/free_kitten.htm

Back then boys were $174 and girls $224. We adopt out for $75.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

news3Igc.11509$432.3198@fed1read01...