ISOBEL

Old September 17th 03, 04:25 AM
Tanada

Default ISOBEL

Where, oh where, will Isobel land? The newsies here are probably right
when they say just south of Cape Hatteras, at Morehead City. However, I
think it will land where it usually does, in Wilmington NC. So far,
every hurricane that hit the area since we moved here six years ago has
landed at Wilmington. I really think they have a huge sign out in their
harbor that says "Hurricanes Welcome", or "Hurricane Hilton." Your
thoughts?

The newsies were also talking about around 2 pm Thursday afternoon. I'm
guessing 10 am Thursday morning. Again, your thoughts? Anyone besides
us battening down the hatches? We have stacks of wood all over our back
yard. I shudder to think what will happen if Isobel picks up and
decides to really blow her stack.

The cats hate me enough for making the world end with the white stuff
(snow). They're really going to hate me for this one.

Pam S.
Old September 17th 03, 04:39 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Tanada composed with style:

The newsies were also talking about around 2 pm Thursday afternoon.
I'm guessing 10 am Thursday morning. Again, your thoughts? Anyone
besides us battening down the hatches? We have stacks of wood all
over our back yard. I shudder to think what will happen if Isobel
picks up and decides to really blow her stack.

I'm about 15 minutes (maybe 10 miles) due west of Annapolis MD an
while not on the water, we get the same storms that the Chesapeake Bay
churns up so if Isabel follows its course, I'm expecting ... errr..
something. I keep thinking that if it makes landfall down south in NC
at the outter banks it will slow down but that really isn't a great
distance when you look at the size of the storm. I only regret that I
probably won't be able to get my gutters cleaned out ahead of time. I
lost my nice picnic table with umbrella during one of our recent
storms (it went airborn ala Wizard of Oz) and it flew off the deck and
crashed to the ground and shattered so I don't have to worry about
moving that. lol

Old September 17th 03, 05:06 AM
John Biltz

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:25:08 -0700, Tanada wrote
(in message ):

Where, oh where, will Isobel land? The newsies here are probably right
when they say just south of Cape Hatteras, at Morehead City. However, I
think it will land where it usually does, in Wilmington NC. So far,
every hurricane that hit the area since we moved here six years ago has
landed at Wilmington. I really think they have a huge sign out in their
harbor that says "Hurricanes Welcome", or "Hurricane Hilton." Your
thoughts?

Not hard to understand, NC sticks out the farthest into the Atlantic. A
hurricane travelling toward shore hits the gulfstream and gets kicked
north and there is NC sticking out there in the way. I don't know how
many of them hit while I lived in Fayeteville. A lot more than hit
Florida in that time.

Old September 17th 03, 05:22 AM
Angela Ryan

I heard about that, even here in OZ!!! You poor things....hurricanes must be
terrible.

I live on the East Coast of Australia and we never get anything like that.
Australia gets cyclones up north but not down this way.

Purrrs that everything will be OK there. Purrs for you and your family that
you are safe. Purrrrs for the cats that they are OK

Angela and Gizmo

Old September 17th 03, 07:00 AM
rrb_041303

Tanada said:

[...]

Here's hoping that Isabel is not that bad or that there is minimal
damage or loss of life. All you can do is prepare as well as you can or
evacuate. An earthquake is not a hurricane but they can cause severe
damage and their is NO warning. As I said preparation or evacuation is
all you can do. Take care everyone.

Old September 17th 03, 10:31 AM
polonca12000

Lots of best wishes and purrs for everyone in danger,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Tanada" wrote in message
Where, oh where, will Isobel land? snip

Old September 17th 03, 01:14 PM
JBHajos

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:25:08 GMT, Tanada wrote:

Anyone besides
us battening down the hatches?

My son Greg lives in Newport News, VA, across the Bay from Norfolk,
which has been battening down for days, since it was a Category 4/5.
Last I heard it had dwindled into a 2. However, many in that area
have been leaving town, heading west. So what does Greg do? He
informed me he's coming HERE to escape!! (We're in Alabama.) I told
him I'd bet he's the only one in Virginia to travel a thousand miles
to an evacuation point! He'll arrive here this afternoon and stay the
rest of the week. Of course, we're delighted to have him, especially
since he's bringing his kitty, Hobie, along - - but we're a bit amused
at the lengths he'll go to in avoiding the storm.

Hoping Isabel continues to get quieter and everyone in its path stays
safe and secure.

Jeanne
Old September 17th 03, 02:33 PM
Sherry

Of course, we're delighted to have him, especially
since he's bringing his kitty, Hobie, along - - but we're a bit amused
at the lengths he'll go to in avoiding the storm.

I don't blame him! Even in this land-locked state where tornadoes are a way of
life, the thought of a hurricane seems terrifying to me. I really feel for
those people who have to leave their homes for safety. Enjoy your visit with
your son, though. Purrs that his home isn't touched.

Sherry
Old September 17th 03, 03:12 PM
OU812?

JBHajos wrote:
[...]

One of the members of another of my newsgroups posted yesterday to say she
was being evacuated as well. What do folks do with their pets when they're
evacuated? You can't take them to most evac stations can you?

Kristy
--
The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight,
because by then your body and your fat are really good friends.

Old September 17th 03, 04:58 PM
Tanada

OU812? wrote:

One of the members of another of my newsgroups posted yesterday to say she
was being evacuated as well. What do folks do with their pets when they're
evacuated? You can't take them to most evac stations can you?

That was one of the problems with Floyd a few years back. Too many
people left their animals behind, usually through necessity, and the
larger part of eastern NC flooded. Local rescue groups scrambled
together and rescued thousands of cats, dogs, birds, livestock, exotic
pets, and so forth.

If we had to evacuate, we'd load up the cats and head for the Georgia or
Tennessee borders. We'd have at least a chance of finding a hotel that
would let us bring in the beasts. So far as I know, there are no rescue
shelters that allow pets at this time. I consider it to be uncivilized,
but then we Merkins are uncivilized. If, for any reason, we do have to
leave, we'll be stacking two cats per cage and heading for the hills.

Pam S.