cat-proof latch

Old May 29th 09, 11:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default cat-proof latch

Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (5/28/2009 11:43 PM):
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
We have sliding (pocket) doors connecting the "catty" and (ostensibly)
"non-catty" sides of the house.

So, is there anything that can reliably keep the cats in their half the
house? I'm thinking about a latch for the doors. The sticking point is
finding something that's easy for humans and impossible for cats, can be
operated from both sides, and doesn't make it look like we're in a
prison.

How about a hook and eye near the top of the door? Not beautiful but it
would work.

Hook and eye is inoperable by cats, especially these cats. It can't be
higher than a seated person can reach, but about as high as a doorknob
should be OK. It'd have to have enough slack in the mechanism to allow
a hand through so you could work it from both sides; I dunno if you can
do that unless your hook is long enough to allow enough of a cat through
to put significant force on the mounting.

Nah - just add a bit of stiff wire to the hook so that it sticks thru to
the other side - then the door only needs to open wide enough for the
bit of wire.

jmc
Old May 30th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB

Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

You could put one on each side. MLB
Old May 30th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

They'd have to be linked. If the inner one is locked, you're blocked
from entering the room unless you can change it somehow.

Anyhow, I got some refills for my Ssscats and made them pretty well
untippable (and un-accidently-reaimable), so I'll see if that works.

--
The mnky gibbering and screeching used to keep me up at night, although
in the lst week or so it's prtty mch tailed off to nthng. The smell has
Old May 30th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Fri, 29 May 2009 18:01:36 -0600, MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

Is this a joke? Close the door.

Want some thing easy for humans but impossible for cats? There's a lovely
invention that has been around for centuries. It's called a door knob.
Old May 30th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB

Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

He said this is a pocket door -- no knobs. MLB
Old May 30th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

thanks. I knew I must have missed something.

There are locks available for pocket doors.

https://www.hardwareworld.com/334-10...k-pYB7J88.aspx

http://www.johnsonhardware.com/1521.htm

http://www.handlesets.com/index.cfm?...categoryID=269

Old May 30th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2009 18:01:36 -0600, MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB

wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

Won't stay closed under cat assault. Note in the first sentence where I
stated that these are "sliding (pocket) doors". They don't have strong
latches.

Want some thing easy for humans but impossible for cats? There's a lovely
invention that has been around for centuries. It's called a door knob.

See my previous paragraph.
--
-eben P http://royalty.mine.nu:81
GEMINI: Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive
Old May 30th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Fri, 29 May 2009 21:34:04 -0400, Hactar wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2009 18:01:36 -0600, MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB

wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

2nd quoted paragraph, 4th line. This is only operable from one side,
assuming it's like the similar-looking one from Kwikset. (I checked.)

http://www.johnsonhardware.com/1521.htm

Interesting. I'll look into it.

http://www.handlesets.com/index.cfm?...categoryID=269

Appears to have the lock mechanism on only one side: "Pre-assembled for
doors opening left to right. Plates are reversible." If the mechanism
were on both sides, it wouldn't _need_ to be reversed.

They can be nonsymetrical yet be accessible from either side. It depends
on the shape of the striker.

The ones I've seen can be opened from either side, but only locked from
one side.
Old May 30th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB

Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

How many people going in and out? If there is only one person, there is
no proble,. MLB
Old May 31st 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
[...]

Three. Cat #1 waits halfway across the room, then darts through the
door if she sees it open. (She's deaf, so she can't hear you approach
it.) If you're carrying something, there's by far room for a cat to get
through. Cat #2 waits until someone (e.g. Cat #1) leaves the door open and
then goes through.

--
-eben P royalty.mine.nu:81

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein