When to change to 2 meals per day?

Old January 8th 04, 01:52 PM
Al Kondo

Default When to change to 2 meals per day?

I have been feeding my 2 - 5 1/2 month old kittens 3 times per day for
the past 3 months or so. I have read here and elsewhere that adult
cats should be fed 2 times per day. At what age should this change
be made?

Al Kondo
Old January 9th 04, 03:42 AM
wumpygirl

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
I have been feeding my 2 - 5 1/2 month old kittens 3 times per day for
the past 3 months or so. I have read here and elsewhere that adult
cats should be fed 2 times per day. At what age should this change
be made?

Al Kondo

I have read this too, but I don't go by it, as not all cats are happy being
fed twice a day. Many cats are grazers who enjoy several small meals a day.
After all, by nature, cats are hunters and don't have set meal times. I
think that set feeding times are for the convenience of the owners.

My cat (almost 3 years old) has always been always been a grazer. From the
day she arrived she's always had free access to kibble and 4 meals of canned
each day.

When she was a growing kitten, the age yours are, she would quite happily
snarf down 4 whole small tins each day. When it had appeared that she had
stopped growing at the age of 9 months, my vet suggested I switch her over
to an adult foods and cut back the amounts so that she wouldn't get to
porky.

Sooooo the kibble was switched to low cal and the number of cans reduced
from 4 to 2, but the number of meals remained the same.

If you are wanting to switch your kittens over to twice a day feedings, I
wouldn't suggest doing this until they have stopped growing.

Just my 2 cents worth. :c)

Judy

Old January 26th 04, 05:10 AM
Shaggin

I have two cats with sagging stomachs. the one i am sure is obese and her
stomach nearly sags to the floor and sways when she walks its a sight to see
lol. well anyway i asked my friend a vet techincian what to do and she said
to give them the amount of food we are giving them but to feed them half of
it twice a day. She said it would speed there metabolism. looking forward to
trying it seeing putting them on a diet wasent working before. let me know
if this was successful for others or not. and ill let everyone know my
experiences with it. my cats are like 2 yrs old now.