Kitty with swollen leg after subQ fluids - is that normal?

Old September 7th 03, 01:37 AM
Bill

Default Kitty with swollen leg after subQ fluids - is that normal?

I've been having trouble giving my cat subQ fluids and managed to do my first
real dose today. I gave her 200 ml instead of 100, because that is what the
vet did and because we had skipped days. (I was supposed to do 100 ml/day
starting Wed. but had been unable to come up with a plan on how to do it.)

Anyway, I was looking around for the fluid after about 6 hours and could not
see it except I noticed that her right front leg was very swollen, though all
her other legs looked normal. Is that OK? Unusual?

Thanks.

Bill

Old September 7th 03, 01:57 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Bill" wrote in message
m...
I've been having trouble giving my cat subQ fluids and managed to do my

first
real dose today. I gave her 200 ml instead of 100, because that is what

the
vet did and because we had skipped days. (I was supposed to do 100 ml/day
starting Wed. but had been unable to come up with a plan on how to do it.)

Anyway, I was looking around for the fluid after about 6 hours and could

not
see it except I noticed that her right front leg was very swollen, though

all
her other legs looked normal. Is that OK? Unusual?

Thanks.

Bill

This is normal. It didn't happen to my cat when I was giving her subQs,
*but* I've read about it happening. It's just the fluids pooling
(gravity) - prob. esp. since you gave her double the recommended amount; her
body will eventually absorb the excess.

This is just my personal opinion - which a vet may well disagree with,
but... if I were to wind up skipping a sub-Q session, I think I'd give her
125 - 150 mL instead of 200.

Figure out a time when you can feasibly give her the fluids at around the
same time each day - a few hours deviation either way is no huge deal.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old September 7th 03, 02:37 AM
TracyN

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote ...

"Bill" wrote ...
[...]

Yup. Used to see the same thing all the time with my kitties. It
doesn't hurt them. Just looks weird.

Tracy

Old September 7th 03, 03:02 AM
blkcatgal

Totally normal. My cat would get a swollen front leg too. It should go
away as the fluids are absorbed.

Sue

m...

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 11:13 AM
How hard is it to give subQ fluids? Bill Cat health & behaviour 4 September 1st 03 05:15 PM