suggesions in getting cat in carrier

Old November 12th 03, 05:16 PM
hmc

Default suggesions in getting cat in carrier

Can you help us get our cat in the carrier? We tried to get her to the
groomers b/c she has matts (she's a long-haired beauty), but after 3 hours
my wife and I were beat. We have tried many things to get her in the
carrier:

* clicker training. we got her to go near the carrier, but not inside. that
was a small success.

* made it an inviting place. we let her roam in for treats and toys. she
goes in but keeps her legs out. when she hears us coming she skittters out
the top. (trust me, she won't go in the cage with the top window closed.)

fortunately (maybe she feels badly about her behavior??) she let my wife cut
a couple of matts out. she actually climbed on her lap! a first (and last)
time after 2 years.

we have tried Rescue Remedy (a Vet assisstant suggested it) to calm her
down, but we couldn't tell if it worked or not. any suggestions? she's the
skitteriest cat alive.
--
----------
to reply personally, please remove the "blah" from my email address.

Old November 12th 03, 05:38 PM
J1Boss

Can you help us get our cat in the carrier? We tried to get her to the
groomers b/c she has matts (she's a long-haired beauty), but after 3 hours
my wife and I were beat. We have tried many things to get her in the
carrier:

Speed! Sometimes the only option is a sneak attack. Position the carrier in a
place your cat sleeps. While she's sleeping, walk in and close the door to
thar room. Scoop her up (a towel may be helpful) and put her in the carrier as
fast as you can, before she wakes up entirely. Close door. It helps if you
have a top loader with a large opening, and the carrier is bigger than you
actually need. I have a Nylabone one that can fit a very large cat. Front and
top opening.

If she's a really skittish cat, grooming is going to be hard as well though.
RR works well for some animals, not as well for others. You may need to up the
ante on that one, in order to get those mats out. After they're out, getting
her used to more gentle grooming, everyday, is better than only addressing the
problem once the mats are in place.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Old November 12th 03, 05:41 PM
Betsy

I've never met a cat who would willingly enter a carrier! Force is
required!

First, if you have a carrier whose top can be removed, this may help. But
it will require at least 2 people to keep her from scooting out the openings
while you reassemble the carrier.

I stand my carriers on end and lower the cat into it hind end first.

Sometimes wrapping kitty in a towel (including covering the head) and
inserting kitty into the carrier very quickly works.

Some cats will allow you to shove them in head first with a minimum of
resistance. I haven't had one of these in years.

P.S. be sure you are up on your tetanus shots and be sure to clip kitty's
claws before you do any of this!

Old November 12th 03, 06:13 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
Can you help us get our cat in the carrier? We tried to get her to the
groomers b/c she has matts (she's a long-haired beauty), but after 3 hours
my wife and I were beat. We have tried many things to get her in the
carrier:

Get a pillow case. Put it in the bathroom.

Close all portions of the cat carrier except one (top or side, but it
should easily face up) to put kitty in. Leave carrier in another room,
close to bathroom.

Go get kitty. Hopefully, she hasn't seen any of this. Bring to bathroom
and close door.

Plop kitty into pillow case. Close top with hand. Bring kitty to
carrier. Plop kitty into carrier, pillow case opening down, then quickly
remove pillowcase and close door.

A bit mean, but efficient and less likely to result in bloodshed than
just trying to shove her in.

Oh, they make kitty "muzzles" that cover the mouth and eyes so the cat
stays calm if she is one of those that completely freaks in the carrier
and might hurt herself.

Also, they make cloth carriers that are more like purses than carriers.
Your cat may prefer one of these, as it wouldn't have the same
associations as the hard top.

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old November 12th 03, 06:13 PM