Cat brought strange creature home

Old January 13th 08, 12:59 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

Default Cat brought strange creature home

I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.

It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
dolphin.

My first thought was that it was a baby hedgehog but they have front
legs. Does anyone know what it might be or has anyone had their cats
bring in something similar ?

I took the creature back out and put him under the fence which borders
the woodland. He was not hurt and soon took off. I kept my cats
indoors for a while so they would not bring him back.

--
Count Baldoni

Old January 13th 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Espen

Baldoni writes:

I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.

It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
dolphin.

I think it had front legs, you may not have seen them.
Unless the cats got them.
The funny nose usually indicates a mole.
Old January 13th 08, 05:06 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"Baldoni" wrote in message
It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
dolphin.

Sounds like a shrew. Was it one of these?
http://www.borealforest.org/zoo/shrew.htm

Old January 13th 08, 06:51 AM posted to alt.pets.cats, alt.cats, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Jan 13, 12:06*am, "Upscale" wrote:
Sounds like a shrew.

Either a shrew or a kangaroo mouse.

Shrews have the bottle nose, but they have front legs.
Kangaroo mice don't have front legs for running, but
typically don't have a bottle nose.

Maybe it's a new breed of kangaroo shrew?

Old January 13th 08, 12:05 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

Upscale was thinking very hard :
"Baldoni" wrote in message
It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
dolphin.

Sounds like a shrew. Was it one of these?
http://www.borealforest.org/zoo/shrew.htm

It looked like one of those but I think it was a baby.

--
Count Baldoni

Old January 13th 08, 12:06 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

studio was thinking very hard :
On Jan 13, 12:06*am, "Upscale" wrote:
Sounds like a shrew.

Either a shrew or a kangaroo mouse.

Shrews have the bottle nose, but they have front legs.
Kangaroo mice don't have front legs for running, but
typically don't have a bottle nose.

Maybe it's a new breed of kangaroo shrew?

I am in the UK I will check if they are a native of this country.

--
Count Baldoni

Old January 13th 08, 12:08 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

After serious thinking Gail wrote :
I'm glad you rescued this little creature (whatever it was).
Gail
"Baldoni" wrote in message

The strange thing about it all was that the 3 cats did not harm it in
any way when they had the chance, nor did they play with it.

--
Count Baldoni

Old January 13th 08, 12:09 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

cindys explained :
"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Baldoni writes:

I have 3 cats but a few months ago one of them came home with this
creature he had picked up. He did not kill it but the 3 of them were
chasing it around but neither of them would harm it.

It managed to get under the furniture and so I was able to catch it.
It had been making a squeaking noise and was about the same size as a
mouse. But it had no front legs and a sort of bottle nose like a
dolphin.

I think it had front legs, you may not have seen them.
Unless the cats got them.
The funny nose usually indicates a mole.

--------
I agree. Sometimes, the nose looks like a miniature octopus. These are called
"star-nosed" moles.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

It may have been a baby mole.

--
Count Baldoni

Old January 13th 08, 12:14 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

studio formulated the question :
On Jan 13, 12:06*am, "Upscale" wrote:
Sounds like a shrew.

Either a shrew or a kangaroo mouse.

Shrews have the bottle nose, but they have front legs.
Kangaroo mice don't have front legs for running, but
typically don't have a bottle nose.

Maybe it's a new breed of kangaroo shrew?

I think this is the fellow here although he was young. Maybe I missed
his front legs due to them being small.

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/ma...more_info.html

It mentions that it is illegal to trap these in the UK.

--
Count Baldoni