Sum News.

Old November 25th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sylvia M[_5_]

Default Sum News.

"Fred" wrote in message
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee wrote:

Wewll, dat shur iz Sum nooz! Sum Gud Nooz, dat iz!
I unner stand bowt takin hur tyme, lukkit me an Sunnydanze!

Bowt woik, Fred haz sum gudgud ideerz.
Eeffin hewlpin peepilz wiff doze Windowz kin be uh gud ideer.
Heow tu yuze OE tu mayke liddul foldurz tu put tingz in, an yuze
message rooolz tu mayke spekul tingz go tu doze foldurz, an heow
tu send emaylez on wiffowt gibbing uhway efurrybodyelzez email
addresses.
An heow tu cut an payzt tu Woid, an edit tu get rid ov awlla da
karrotz( ) an heow tu mayke folderz tu poot files into on
dezktop ur inna Mi Dokz fowldur.

Meowmee haz hewlpt seffural hoominz tu du deze tingz, an day ar
sooo berry tankful, dat hur thot dat unka Fred mite emkorpyurate
deze kompooter hewlpink ideerz fur tuna$, It wud tayke twee ur
moor wun-ower lezzunz, kuz hoominz braynz get tyred kwiklee.

Dats a possibility. But he duzn't wike M$ softwear an da
recent
virus is an eggzample. Linux iz much moor reliable and secure AND
IT"S FREE!!! For da most part. Espeshully if you get da Ubuntu
variety uv Linux. No9t just da Operatin System is free, alla da
applicashuns is free also.
Just a few sites on da web are Internet Eggsplorer specific and
through business deals have refuse to werk fur Linux systems.

Diana, fur her house.

--
Peace,
Fred

Ennywayz, tink bowt teetshink summa da sayme trykz an skyllz.

Meowmee haz 250 biting giggaz in hu pooter, an olny bowt 39 ar yuzed.
kud she twy Linux?
Wud hur hab tu throw windoz owt da windo, ur kud hur keepz it tuu?

Tuu bad yu dun't lib kloze, yu kud hewlp fix da sketti bakka da PC.

Toonya

Old November 25th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_6_]

Default OT ~ Partitioning a hard drive (WUZ ~ Sum News.)

In article , says...

"Fred" wrote in message
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee wrote:

[...]

I can't answer all of your questions (Fred probably can, though), but
you can run Linux and Windows on the same PC. All you'd have to do is
partition your hard drive. There's a way to do it from a DOS command
line, but I forget the magic keystroke(s) to make that happen, and there
are people out there that say that a software package like Partition
Magic is a better way to partition your hard drive anyway (I just
Googled Partition Magic... did Norton buy the rights to the application,
and if so, WTH did THAT happen???!!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning is a half-way decent
description of what formatting is all about and what it accomplishes.
This WILL NOT tell you HOW to partition your hard drive, but there are
some good links at the end of this article that are worth checking out
that DO explain the ins and outs of how to partition a hard drive.

There's a halfway decent article on PC World's website on how to
partition a hard drive...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/73826...your_hard_driv
e.html or http://snurl.com/6rp7d

and there's another tutorial that is a little bit more complex (IMHO)
at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial116.html

Now *I* have a question... I am running WinXP Home Edition, Version
2002, Service Pack 3. I have a 36.79 GB NTFS partition, and a 5.13 GB
NTFS partition. I "inherited" this computer when my brother passed away
four years ago. I haven't done diddly to it except maintain it by
running the Norton equivalents to Scan Disk, Disk Defragmenter, etc.
(Oh, wait... I did, too, do something to it on my own... I switched from
FAT32 to NTFS shortly after I got it set up in my current home [and I
have NO intention of going back to FAT32, FTR].).

Can join these two partitions to create a 40+ GB hard drive (I know some
of you are wondering "why would you want to?", and that's a valid
question. Let's just say it's just something I want to do)? ISTR
something about how FAT32 systems can't handle partitions over a certain
number of gigabytes (I just don't remember how many GBs). Can I
"rejoin" these two partitions I have on my computer without frying WinXP
in any way, shape or form? I know how to partition the drive and
"join" partitions and stuff. I just need to know IF I can "join" these
two partitions. TIA.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand... I hope I've led you to some useful
information about how to partition your hard drive. I'm no master at
partitioning by any means, but if you have questions, I'd be happy to
help as much as I can.

--- "Unca" Cory
Old November 25th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Dem Sketti wires can sure git in da wayz. Gramby hz da CCTV anna a kouple
of ofther tings and it iz alwayz a messz.

Old November 25th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred[_2_]

You can use Linux now and stay with the "GUI," Graphics User
Interface, so it's just like Window$. Only rarely dus Fred use the
command line, because he dusn't have time to play with the system
much these days. It's still the same as Window$ when it comes to
double clicking an icon on the desktop, (and in Ubuntu Linux and many
others, you can have several desktops and switch from one to the
others on the task bar. It helps keep things uncluttered.
Yes, you could add Linux to your system. First you can get a "Live
CD" which would run from the CD drive and not effect your hard disk
at all. Fred tried one some time ago and it worked well, although it
didn't have very good graphics. You can only put so much data on a
CD and high density graphic images take space.
The legality of running certain software may depend on the country
you live in. If you want to play DVDs for instance, you need drivers
that don't come with the main release for that reason. You can get
them separately and it's not hard, just maybe not legal in the U.S.
There is lots of help around and Linux newsgroups where advise and
trolls exist side by side. The Ubuntu forums are also a great help.
I would do what I can to help, over the net should you choose to go
that route.

Fred

Granby wrote:

Hihi diz iz O T anna da Gramby iz prettie dumb so her haz ta use da
windowz
stuffz. Da restz iz Greek ta her.
"Ranger Roadkitten Mahoney" wrote in message
Fred runs Ubuntu and it works very much like M$ Doors or
whateffer.
You point and click an you can haf meny desktops wif different
fings
runnin on dem at da same time. Fred kan edit videos on his
pooter.

Dere's seferal of us in dis Community dat run Linux. Mine Paw runs
Ubuntu Studio at da toona place an Debian at home, and OS X Leopard
on both of hims laptops and on Meowmie's laptop. Him really duzn't
like dat Winders stuff.

Ranger

Old November 25th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred[_2_]

Cory wrote:

In article , says...

"Fred" wrote in message
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee wrote:

[...]

I stopped using Windows with 98 SE. I have never had an NTFS file
system and don't know anything about them. The old saying
applies, "Make backups first!" If you have an application that is
supposed to join NTFS partitions, (I mean; partitions with NTFS file
systems, of course), then it should do so, BUT never trust this stuff
to be completely safe. The Window$ system is on the big partition I
presume. If there is room you might try just moving the data files
all onto that partition and then if there are no applications
installed on it, (nor path sensitive data), then copy the whole
directory structure onto the one partition. You could then delete
the other one and expand the first, if you didn't trust the "join"
routine. I *think* I'd trust the expand routine a little more, but
it too could go wrong. There's no guarantee. Always a good time to
make backups before doing anything of the sort.

Old November 25th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mme. Anaïs ^..^[_4_]

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:34:16 -0600, Cory's nimble, little paws typed:

Can join these two partitions to create a 40+ GB hard drive

Before I get to this, let me give Anti Sylvia some advice:

Linux is a geeky boy-toy that is much more at home in a professional
environment than the home. (FWIW, I know a little something about Unix
- Linux is a "flavor" of Unix - since it was what we learned on when I
took my MS in computer Science in 1989). Unless you want to take up a
new hobby, avoid it; it has a definite learning curve, and AFAIC, few
benefits for the home user unless you want to learn more about
computing (Windows allows anyone to use a computer, even if they know
nothing about them, a boon to many in the work force). And I am less
than thrilled with the dual-boot loader that I have on one of my extra
machines. It's buggy.

Don't believe that crap about Windows' vulnerability. I built my
first computer in 1983, and have run both Unix and DOS/Windows since
1985. I have NEVER had a virus, trojan horse, worm etc. etc. on ANY of
my machines, at home or at the office, though some run 24 hours a day!
All it takes is a proper firewall, a good anti-virus program and (most
important) that the human practices safe computing. In my years of
experience, Windows doesn't "catch" problems, people do!

OK, Cory. In general, when you remove a partition, you remove the
data with it. PARTITION MAGIC is a utility that did allow you to do a
lot with moving partitions (not deleting them per se) so you would
move the partition to the end of the drive giving the second partition
a very small amount of space and combining the data and empty space
from both into one large partition, but I haven't used it in years, so
can not speak definitively. But I do know that you would be taking a
bigger risk in trying, especially if you have a dual-boot machine
since I can't see how PM would re-write the MBRs, unless it has a
utility to do so. Your call!
--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs

little, the cats become its visible soul.â€
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

11/25/2008 12:06:21 PM
Old November 25th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Amelia T Cat

The safest way for a Windows user to try out Linux is by booting from a
live-boot CD, like maybe Knoppix. The computer then runs off the CD or
DVD. It's not as fast as running from the hard-drive but it would allow
you to try it out without hurting your Windows installation.

Amelia
Old November 25th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred[_2_]

Mme. Anaïs ^..^ wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:34:16 -0600, Cory's nimble, little paws
typed:

Can join these two partitions to create a 40+ GB hard drive

Before I get to this, let me give Anti Sylvia some advice:

Linux is a geeky boy-toy that is much more at home in a professional
environment than the home. (FWIW, I know a little something about
Unix - Linux is a "flavor" of Unix - since it was what we learned on
when I took my MS in computer Science in 1989). Unless you want to
take up a new hobby, avoid it; it has a definite learning curve, and
AFAIC, few benefits for the home user unless you want to learn more
about computing (Windows allows anyone to use a computer, even if
they know nothing about them, a boon to many in the work force). And
I am less than thrilled with the dual-boot loader that I have on one
of my extra machines. It's buggy.

Well, with much respect I beg to differ. Today's linux is nothing
like anything that was around in 1989, or even 2000. Just like
today's Windows doesn't look like Windows 3.1. I was a system
manager on 25 UNIX System V computers back in 1985 when Apple was
just coming out with this thing called a Graphics User Interface, or
GUI which lead to the windows interface that so many people are using
today. With Ubuntu Linux, and most Linux systems today, you can
actually have your choice of a number of GUI Desktop systems and all
the software you could imagine and then some. If there's a learning
curve, it's mostly about learning to deal with the choice that you
have. You will probably never have to use the command line, (the DOS
like text interface), if you don't want to. It is available however
for users who want the power that it gives.

Don't believe that crap about Windows' vulnerability. I built my
first computer in 1983, and have run both Unix and DOS/Windows since
1985. I have NEVER had a virus, trojan horse, worm etc. etc. on ANY
of my machines, at home or at the office, though some run 24 hours a
day! All it takes is a proper firewall, a good anti-virus program
and (most important) that the human practices safe computing. In my
years of experience, Windows doesn't "catch" problems, people do!

If you don't have years of experience and don't want to have to buy
anti-virus programs and do maintenance on your system all the time,
you can just get Linux for free and forget about all that stuff. The
learning curve there is Window$' not Linux.

Old November 26th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mme. Anaïs ^..^[_4_]

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:34:16 -0600, Cory's nimble, little paws typed:

Meowmee haz 250 biting giggaz in hu pooter, an olny bowt 39 ar yuzed.
kud she twy Linux?
Wud hur hab tu throw windoz owt da windo, ur kud hur keepz it tuu?

Dan's suggestion of running linux off of the DVD (i.e. not installing
it) is the best idea, although as I said, you'll have a bit of a
learning curve and no real gain, unless you want a new hobby.You will
notice nothing different except that a lot of your present software
won't run on it, and you'll certainly need a new email and
newsreader....

If you have the windoews or a Norton Or Zone Alarm firewall enabled;
run a good anti-virus (Norton or AVG), enable all of the safety tools
in your browser, turn on automatic updates and practice safe
computing, you will never have a problem, unless you click on
tinyURLs,respond to email from unknown or suspicious senders or the
like. I've been online in one form or another since 1983, and have yet
to have a virus, worm or the like infect any of my systems, at home or
in the office....

Tuu bad yu dun't lib kloze, yu kud hewlp fix da sketti bakka da PC.

Get an assortment of these at your local radio shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103326
they're great fot keeping stuff neat.

They also sell a ridged tube with a slit running down its length so
that you can then stuff all of the cables in it.
--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs

little, the cats become its visible soul.â€
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

11/25/2008 8:28:10 PM
Old November 26th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Adam[_3_]

Mme. Anaïs ^..^ wrote:
Tuu bad yu dun't lib kloze, yu kud hewlp fix da sketti bakka da PC.

Get an assortment of these at your local radio shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103326
they're great fot keeping stuff neat.

They also sell a ridged tube with a slit running down its length so
that you can then stuff all of the cables in it.

That's http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103809 and
it also has another use: it's great from keeping cats and kittens from
chewing on electric cords, because it's too thick to bite.

Adam