I have 32,000 saved posts...

Old November 30th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

Default I have 32,000 saved posts...

On Nov 29, 5:22*pm, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
In article ,

*"Granby" wrote:
You and Dan were the ones I was thinking about so, you guys figure it
out....ain't whatcha know, 'tis who ya know!!!!

Well, I'd be glad to get ahold of Gandalf's data, but if Heather wants
it as well I'd also be glad to get a copy from her.

I can also put the raw data online for download once I've got a copy.

Dan

Anything that would help with putting the website together would be
greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for the original, but a copy
would be nice.

Heather
Old November 30th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

On Nov 29, 8:42*pm, "Mme. Anaïs ^..^" wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:36:18 -0800 (PST), 's
nimble, little paws typed:

Although I wouldn't want to be responsible for the care of this, it
would be VERY helpful for me to have a copy, since I'm the one putting
the rpcc website together. *Sometimes I spend hours looking things up..

* * * * Heather, IMO, Dan is the person that should have the data inasmuch as
he has both the knowledge and equipment to archive it; as he said,
he'll be glad to give you acceess to it.
--
Purrs,

* * * * Mme. Anaïs

* * * * * * * * “I love cats because I take pleasure in my home; and little by
little, the cats become its visible soul.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

* * * * 11/29/2008 8:40:17 PM

I'm in perfect agreement with you on that. In fact, as I said in an
earlier message, I wouldn't want the responbility of the master
archive. I would appreciate a copy though.

Heather
Old November 30th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Adam[_3_]

Mme. Anaïs ^..^ wrote:
If nobody else is able, I could do it.

I can see where it would be more convenient than searching through
Google Groups' stored posts, but what other advantages would there be?

Google Goofs has a HORRIBLE, unwieldly (non-thread) format and adds
lots of crap to the posts. It's possibly the worst detractor to Usenet
in 30 years. It discourages newbies from learning how to use a real
news-reader and see how Usenet was made to be read and used.

But what else is there for most NG archives?

Dump Mozilla and get a real news-reader and you'll see the
difference.

What would you recommend?

No offense, but Dan has the equipment and knowledge to safely archive
these and then re-distribute them.

Unanimous agreement on that!

Adam
Old November 30th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

I really appreciate anyone who can save this many posts, be it FIVE years of
15, it as was said, part of our history and it is fun for me to check back
and read things that went on before. Thank you all who save our history, it
truly is appreciated.
"Lucy" wrote in message

On Nov 29, 9:03 am, Adam wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Back in 2003, I started saving posts, because I just didn't have time
read them; I'm not very good at reading meow chat.
So now, many years later, I have over 32,000 saved posts. Once I
started
saving a thread, I saved all of it, until there were no posts, to the
best of my knowledge.
I would like to pass them along to somebody, long and deeply involved
with RPCC, who can keep them, and perhaps pass them along to others.
If nobody else is able, I could do it.

I can see where it would be more convenient than searching through
Google Groups' stored posts, but what other advantages would there be?

Adam

Oops! I sent a blank message by mistake. I guess I should wait till
I have my first cup of coffee before trying to reply to messages. :-)

Although I wouldn't want to be responsible for the care of this, it
would be VERY helpful for me to have a copy, since I'm the one putting
the rpcc website together. Sometimes I spend hours looking things up.

Heather

I was thinking of that, Heather. This is our history, and it would be a
great thing for you to have.

Julie

Old November 30th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:19:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 29, 3:40*pm, John Ross Mc Master
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:36:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Nov 29, 9:03 am, Adam wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Back in 2003, I started saving posts, because I just didn't have time to
[...]

You want a copy? I'll send it to you. Just email me and ask.
Unlike Gandalf, I don't care if you're not in the USA.- Hide quoted text -

I would love a copy! It would really be helpful for me.

Thanks!

Heather

I'll get your address and mail you a copy with instructions on how to
use it.
Old November 30th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:28:26 -0500, Adam wrote:

Mme. Anaïs ^..^ wrote:
If nobody else is able, I could do it.

I can see where it would be more convenient than searching through
Google Groups' stored posts, but what other advantages would there be?

Google Goofs has a HORRIBLE, unwieldly (non-thread) format and adds
lots of crap to the posts. It's possibly the worst detractor to Usenet
in 30 years. It discourages newbies from learning how to use a real
news-reader and see how Usenet was made to be read and used.

But what else is there for most NG archives?

Dump Mozilla and get a real news-reader and you'll see the
difference.

What would you recommend?

Forte Agent with Giganews.

No offense, but Dan has the equipment and knowledge to safely archive
these and then re-distribute them.

Unanimous agreement on that!

No actually. Anyone can do it. All the stuff from early 2003 on is
still on the Giganews server. You can get it all for free with the
Giganews free trial.
Download a cracked Agent, then set it up with Giganews, then get all
headers for this newsgroup.

Adam

Old November 30th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mme. Anaïs ^..^[_4_]

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:28:26 -0500, Adam's nimble, little paws typed:

Google Goofs has a HORRIBLE, unwieldly (non-thread) format and adds
lots of crap to the posts. It's possibly the worst detractor to Usenet
in 30 years. It discourages newbies from learning how to use a real
news-reader and see how Usenet was made to be read and used.

But what else is there for most NG archives?

Unfortunately nothing but the premium news-servers who may - or may
not - have some, but not all pasts postings. When Google bought
Deja-News, they destroyed the best Unsenet archive extant! When Dan
tried to re-create the Orient Express adventure (which went on for
months and had thousands of posts) it was impossible, even with his
scripts, to remove the munged HTML that Google injected, much less to
restore them in the order posted.

Dump Mozilla and get a real news-reader and you'll see the
difference.

What would you recommend?

Some people like Agent; I never have. I like and use Dialog; it is
VERY customizable, and has a very strong and capable killfile; you can
even use scripts in it, as well as score and then color specific
posters and threads in different colors (e.g. in busy groups, I have
the threads in which I have posted show up in navy-blue; people who
are pests in light grey and so on). I NEVER see cross posts and it can
even killfile all google posters, which I am thinking of doing. If you
get it, I'll give you my killfile for cross posters. There's a
tutorial online, and it's free: http://www.40tude.com/dialog/index.htm

No offense, but Dan has the equipment and knowledge to safely archive
these and then re-distribute them.

Unanimous agreement on that!

Adam

--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs

little, the cats become its visible soul.â€
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

11/29/2008 11:12:01 PM
Old November 30th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Well, maybe I was wrong about that. Anyway, appreciate your saving all
those posts and the way in which you saved them. When Dan gets it
altogether, it will help the one doing the website as well as anyone who is
trying to reconstruct things that happened on rpca.
"Granby" wrote in message
We don't too often have ego trips here. Sometimes people head butt over
silly things but not that often.

Old November 30th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 06:41:29 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:

I'm a long time lurker here.

Back in 2003, I started saving posts, because I just didn't have time to
read them; I'm not very good at reading meow chat.

So now, many years later, I have over 32,000 saved posts. Once I started
saving a thread, I saved all of it, until there were no posts, to the
best of my knowledge.

I would like to pass them along to somebody, long and deeply involved
with RPCC, who can keep them, and perhaps pass them along to others.

I would have to send them on a USB jump drive; it would only work with a
PC.

The program can be run right off the USB jump drive, or be copied to a
hard drive.

I have used an old newsgroup reader program called Agent Forte; I got it
10 years ago, and it was old then.

But it keeps the posts in 'thread order', by date, with the author's
name, etc. I has been a very good program for reading newsgroups.

Recently, I have lost the entire saved contents of two other newsgroups,
including a huge number I had saved on rec.pets.cats.health+behav.

I am afraid the program may be deteriorating, and I do not want to lose
all the posts I saved on RPCC, as well, before I can pass them along.

And, once saved on another hard drive, they could be passed to other
people, using a jump drive.

Discuss this on the group, and pick one person you all feel would a good
person to send this irreplaceable history of this wonderful news group.

My E-mail address is good, but I don't want to receive E-mails from
individuals wanting the data; I want the person chosen by consensus in
this open forum.

If things should get ugly, and I certainly hope that doesn't happen, I
will withdraw my offer; permanently and irrevocably. I can, and I WILL.

So no Ego Trips, please. Lets keep this discussion positive.

Thank you.

Gandalf

I would prefer to keep it within the USA.

I have a USB jump drive

I think I was reading RPCC for awhile before I started saving the posts,
but I don't know for how long. Perhaps as long as a year or two. I
almost never posted.

The first thread I saved is titled 'Alone on Easter Island', and was a
continuation of another thread I sadly did not save. It is dated April
20, 2003, and has 190 posts in the thread.

Sadly, at first I only saved threads that I didn't have time to read;
later, and I don't know when, I just decided to save the threads that
were interesting to me. Doubtless, for as many posts as I saved, (and
it's more like 35,000) there may be an equal number that I didn't save.

But, at least I have the ones I did save in an easy to read format.

I have to get a bigger USB drive: my 'archive', and the software that
contains it, is too big for my 128meg jump drive.

I could have bought one pretty cheap on Black Friday, but I just didn't
think of it

It sounds like the consensus is that it should go to Dan M., and I
agree.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my comments about 'ego trip', but
I have seen things get really ugly when one person has something, and
several, or many, people, think THEY should get it. I just didn't want
to get caught in the middle

Even on RPCA, the group I do read and post on a fair amount, I have seen
a LOT of really nasty sniping at people, and that is what I was thinking
of.

I have not seen that here, and I'm sorry for my unnecessarily harsh
comments and 'conditions'.

If I had several 'extra' USB jump drives, I would not mind sending
multiple copies, but I don't.

And I want to get this sent before the holiday mail rush too; I would be
very, very upset if it got lost in the mail, and I lost the saved posts
on my computer, too.

I have copied this program with all the saved posts, from computer to
computer, and through several upgrades, and now I am having trouble with
it. I should have acted earlier, but there never is enough time, is
there?

This is a great group, and I am sorry I have not contributed to it over
the years I have been reading it.

But, at least I saved part of it, and now I can pass it on to someone
who is far, far more knowledgable about computers than I am; perhaps he
can devise an easy way to make it available to more people, or even to
everyone.

Gandalf ---just a lurker here.

Old November 30th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Lee, Stormmee's human, is really interested in reading this. May help her
push to get back on line. The more I think about this, the more I am glad
you took the time to save these things and you are willing to let Dan save
them for us. Thank you again.
"Gandalf" wrote in message
[...]

Eilish Could Not Be Saved Jannie Cat health & behaviour 8 November 25th 08 03:31 PM
this saved my kitty! pattys Cat health & behaviour 2 April 20th 05 02:48 PM
Saved Kitten Karen Cat anecdotes 6 November 19th 04 11:51 AM
We were saved....... Mischief Cat anecdotes 4 November 5th 04 08:00 PM
Another cat saved by declawing. He Who Walks Cat health & behaviour 121 May 31st 04 09:11 PM