Question for tech-oriented humans

Old December 10th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Dan M

Default Question for tech-oriented humans

Gandalf and Will both graciously supplied me with their archives of old
r.p.c.c messages. I've imported them into a database, hopefully merging
them into one larger archive.

I know that I still have some work to do before the database will be
ready for prime-time; however, I do have it far enough along that it
might be a good idea to have some other observers look over the results
for problems I've missed.

All of the messages are in a single MySQL table. If anyone would like to
review what I've got I'd be glad to e-mail you an ASCII dump (via
mysqldump) of the database.

Dan
Old December 10th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

On 10 Dec 2008 21:11:01 GMT, Dan M wrote:

Gandalf and Will both graciously supplied me with their archives of old
r.p.c.c messages. I've imported them into a database, hopefully merging
them into one larger archive.

I know that I still have some work to do before the database will be
ready for prime-time; however, I do have it far enough along that it
might be a good idea to have some other observers look over the results
for problems I've missed.

All of the messages are in a single MySQL table. If anyone would like to
review what I've got I'd be glad to e-mail you an ASCII dump (via
mysqldump) of the database.

Dan

Did you get the disk from me yet?
Old December 10th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Amelia T Cat

Did you get the disk from me yet?

Yes, I did. Thank you sending it! I also had a major brain fart - I got
archives from you and Gandalf, not Will and Gandalf. I'm sorry, my mind
must be slipping faster than I thought.

I've read your archive and Gandalf's into a database. I still have to do
some additional processing on the message bodies to deal with Unicode and
characters with values 127. For the most part, though, I think it's in
decent shape. I'm almost ashamed of the Perl code that does the parsing -
it's ugly, brute-force stuff, but it gets the job done.

Dan
Old December 10th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Dan M

And if anyone wants to take a look, the MySQL table layout and a link to
the dump file can be found at
http://newton.catfolks.net/cgi-bin/w...essingProjects

Dan
Old December 11th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee

"Dan M" wrote in message
And if anyone wants to take a look, the MySQL table layout and a link
the dump file can be found at
http://newton.catfolks.net/cgi-bin/w...essingProjects

Dan

Wow-0-wow, unka Dan! Datz uh Lotta stuf!
Dere are uh lotta \n dat ar problee carrotz.
Kin yu get rid ov dem by feedin dem tu rabbit-bunniez?

--
Pitô.ônya

Old December 11th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Amelia T Cat

Wow-0-wow, unka Dan! Datz uh Lotta stuf! Dere are uh lotta \n dat ar
problee carrotz. Kin yu get rid ov dem by feedin dem tu rabbit-bunniez?

--
Pitô.ônya

Yes, Pi2nya, it would be quite easy to get rid of them. They're actually
newline characters (what you're probably used to as carriage return/line
feeds) to keep the line breaks in the database at the same place they
occurred in the original text, but it would very easy to take them out as
well.

Dan