AAAGGHH!!

Old October 28th 03, 10:28 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default AAAGGHH!!

As much as I love a good firework display, it is now getting ridiculous over
here in Old Blighty. November 5th is our traditional fireworks' night (Guy
Fawkes'Night) but over the last few years the number of days each side where
fireworks are being set off seems to be ever extending. Three nights on the
trot now I've heard fireworks exploding and I have no reason to think it's not
going to extend as far past Nov 5th. AAAGGHHH! Animals are frightened of these
things!

And the really nasty news report yesterday
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_832832.html?menu=news

"Hamster 'attached to firework and blown up'

Police and the RSPCA are investigating a report a hamster was blown up after
being attached to a firework with an elastic band by a group of teenagers.

The incident is alleged to have happened in Cambridge on Friday and witnessed
by a shopkeeper.

A spokeswoman for the society urged anyone with any knowledge of the incident
to contact either them or the police.

"We are investigating. On the face of it, this would seem to be an incident
that beggars belief," she said.

"It is obviously something we are very concerned about. It would seem to be an
horrific attack. We would urge anyone who knows anything about this to contact
us or the police. And we would urge any teenager who might have been with the
group who did this to come forward. All calls are treated in confidence."

Cambridgeshire police said they had also been informed of the incident. "We are
looking into the matter," said a spokeswoman. "I suspect it is more likely to
be a case for the RSPCA than for us, but we would certainly welcome any
information about it."

Ms Graves has told the Cambridge Evening News that four teenagers came into her
shop to buy Star Blast rockets on Friday. They then went next door to a pet
shop and bought a hamster.

"One of them asked: 'Have you got an elastic band?' so not really thinking, I
gave him one," Ms Graves told the newspaper.

"The next thing I knew, they went over the road, tied the hamster to the rocket
with the elastic band and blew it up. I was disgusted by it. If they do that
sort of thing to an innocent animal, you wonder what they are capable of. It
made me sick."

Story filed: 12:19 Monday 27th October 2003"

I despair at times, I really do.

helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$
do not post my correct 1 on *any* public forum - thanks

Old October 28th 03, 01:26 PM
Marina

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote
As much as I love a good firework display, it is now getting ridiculous

over
here in Old Blighty. November 5th is our traditional fireworks' night (Guy
Fawkes'Night) but over the last few years the number of days each side

where
fireworks are being set off seems to be ever extending. Three nights on

the
trot now I've heard fireworks exploding and I have no reason to think it's

not
going to extend as far past Nov 5th. AAAGGHHH! Animals are frightened of

these
things!

It used to be like that here around New Year's, but then the powers that be
passed a lawsaying fireworks can only be sold on certain days of the year,
or by special permission, and it has been a little more quiet since.

And the really nasty news report yesterday
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_832832.html?menu=news

"Hamster 'attached to firework and blown up'

That is incredibly obnoxious. I hope the teens get caught and have fireworks
strapped to their crotches and set off.

--
Marina

Old October 28th 03, 03:54 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

That is incredibly obnoxious. I hope the teens get caught and have fireworks
strapped to their crotches and set off.

Yup - definitely do not want such low-lifes with the ability to procreate :-/

Cheers, helen s

Old October 28th 03, 06:07 PM
Sherry

You and the kitties have my sympathy. I really hate fireworks. Some child
always ends up getting hurt, they frighten animals, caause grass fires and
they are the last tool some obnoxious teenager needs to wreak havoc with.
I wish on the 4th of July here the fireworks would be limited to public
displays set off by professionals.
Old October 28th 03, 07:10 PM
Shirley

The festival of Diwali (Hindu/Indian festival) was celebrated this
weekend so that would probably account for all the fireworks (in my
area) for the last few days.

I wish the firework manufacturers would concentrate more on the visual
and less on the auditory aspects of fireworks off soapbox.

--
Shirley
see my cats at

Old October 28th 03, 11:28 PM
polonca12000

That's just horrible! I do hope someone stops them before they do it again.
Sadly,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
snip "The next thing I knew, they went over the road, tied the hamster to

Old October 28th 03, 11:32 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Marina wrote:

It used to be like that here around New Year's, but then the powers that be
passed a lawsaying fireworks can only be sold on certain days of the year,
or by special permission, and it has been a little more quiet since.

In many places in the U.S. (and particularly here in Southern
California) fireworks are limited to public displays. Although private
parties do still manage to obtain a few, illegally, it depends upon
where they live whether the police turn a blind eye or not. (Mostly
"not", here - and if you wonder why, refer to our news for the past
week, and imagine what might happen if everyone set off their own
fireworks on the Fourth of July!)

And the really nasty news report yesterday
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_832832.html?menu=news

"Hamster 'attached to firework and blown up'

That is incredibly obnoxious. I hope the teens get caught and have fireworks
strapped to their crotches and set off.

I'm inclined to agree with your viewpoint, Marina. I think we have
become far too "understanding" of criminal behaviour. Whatever traumas
in their childhoods may cause people to behave in such anti-social ways,
it shouldn't excuse the pain and trauma they cause to others! And
"corrective" institutions do nothing to modify behaviour (except for the
worse), because they're just prisons by another name. No government has
the financial resources to really TREAT inmates for what are
(essentially) the mental illnesses that sent them there, so maybe
"making the punishment fit the crime" isn't such a bad idea.

--
Marina

Old October 28th 03, 11:35 PM

Sherry wrote:

You and the kitties have my sympathy. I really hate fireworks. Some child
always ends up getting hurt, they frighten animals, caause grass fires and
they are the last tool some obnoxious teenager needs to wreak havoc with.
I wish on the 4th of July here the fireworks would be limited to public
displays set off by professionals.

They ARE, in much of the United States - although there are always some
people who manage to get hold of them illegally, and set them off.
Where do you live?
Old October 28th 03, 11:42 PM
Jean H

That is Bl---y awful horrific, makes you wish you could get your
hands on them, how the hell have they been brought up Jean P.

Old October 29th 03, 01:03 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:28:13 +0100, "polonca12000"
wrote:

That's just horrible! I do hope someone stops them before they do it again.
Sadly,

I hope so too -- if they get away with this they will try something
more horrifying next time. I've read that in "the old days" they used
a whipping post and I have wondered several times (on occasions like
this) if it should still be used.