Try This at Home from The Daily Cat

Old April 4th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Try This at Home from The Daily Cat

Cats just love to sit in boxes. Feline behaviorists aren't sure why, but
they know it's true. The next time you get something by mail order, put the
box on the floor for a few days and let your cat leap in and out. You'll be
amazed at how much she'll enjoy a simple cardboard box.

Even ordinary cat toys can have the allure of catnip if you store them in
the same container where you keep the catnip. Every time you take the toy
out, it will be infused with that heavenly scent. When kitty has finished
his play session, pick up that special toy and place it back in the catnip
jar for next time.

The next time you feel like giving your cat a treat, make her work for it.
Show it to her, and then slide it under something or toss it across the room
so she must do a little work to get it. Cats have been working for their
food for thousands of years, and they don't mind at all!

Most cats enjoy a little face-to-face conversation-as long as it's not
in-your-face. Place yourself at cat's eye level, a few feet from your cat,
and just look gently into kitty's face. Say his name and whatever else comes
to mind. Go ahead and use your "cat voice," because studies show cats do
prefer a softer, higher-pitched voice. Most cats love the direct attention,
and will gradually maintain this kind of contact for longer and longer
periods.

Catnip loses its potency over time. Good catnip, the kind that will drive
your cat wild, should smell minty and fresh. To keep kitty's catnip toys
fresh, store them in a plastic container and take them out for a special
play session two or three times a week. When your cat is finished playing
with her catnip toy, put it away for next time. This will also mark the
catnip toy as something special, and avoid catnip boredom.

What's the best way to keep cat hair off your couch? Brush your cats
regularly -- at least once a week. Brushing has so many other advantages,
too: it helps control hairballs, keeps your cat's skin healthy. keeps
kitty's coat smooth and free from mats (those little clumps of fur that
sometimes form), and gives you both a chance to cuddle and bond.

Toys may be a lot more enticing when they disappear under something. Lay out
an old towel or a piece of newspaper on the floor, and slowly pull one of
kitty favorite toys under cover until the toy disappears. Let it pop out
again, then sneak back under. It's just like chasing a mouse into the grass!

Cats take in as much information by smelling things as we do by reading the
newspaper. Give your cat something new to "read" every day by putting
something unfamiliar down on the floor for him to smell. It can be as simple
as tossing your junk mail on the floor for 15 minutes or setting your
grocery bags down for a good cat scan before you put away the shopping.

Many cats like a bit of salad to nibble on. Growing a pot of grass for your
cat will satisfy this craving, and will help keep kitty away from your
houseplants. Many pet supply stores and farmers' markets sell pots of "cat
grass," or you can simply grow a pot of backyard grass indoors for your cat.
(Make sure you don't use any pesticides or chemical fertilizers on your
kitty's salad.)

A while ago, we ran an article that suggesting getting a plastic cover for
your toilet paper holder if your cat likes to unroll the paper. But several
readers had trouble finding the covers. Daily Cat reader Todd says he made
one himself. "I use kitty litter that comes in a plastic container, one of
those with the handle on the top. I cut off the top and bottom, leaving me
with a roughly six-inch-wide piece of plastic. Imagine what a thick rubber
band looks like, but it's a rectangle, not a circle. I then cut this in half
from top to bottom on each of the two long sides. I now have two roughly
equal lengths of plastic, each one resembling a U if you turned them
sideways. I took one of them, put double-sided mounting tape on the long
edge of one side and taped it to the top of my ceramic toilet paper holder.
I now have a plastic cover that fully covers the toilet paper, is flexible
so I can easily get the paper out and, in all honesty, doesn't look all that
bad."

Why not get your cat some new ceramic or stainless steel bowls? Plastic food
and water dishes harbor bacteria, even after they have been washed. In
addition, some cats develop allergies to plastic and can end up with pimples
on their chin. Be sure to wash your cat's dishes every day.

If you live an apartment building, consider letting your cat play in the
hallway now and then. She may find the change of scene and scent very
intriguing. This must be supervised time, of course. Choose a time when
there aren't a lot of people coming and going, and make sure all the doors
to the stairwell, garbage room, etc., are closed. Now prop open the door to
your apartment so your cat can get back to the "safe" territory of your home
whenever she wants to. Let her explore on her own as you stand there and
encourage her. Maybe even toss a few treats just outside the door. You can
simply let her explore while you watch, or you can toss toys down the hall
for her to retrieve.

When you're making the bed, fluff up the bedspread a few times so your cat
can get underneath and watch it float gently down around him. Making the bed
can be a fun game for you both.

There is no substitute for talking to your veterinarian. If you suspect a
there's a problem, give your vet a call. Cats are very good at hiding their
illnesses, so by the time you notice a change, your cat could be really
sick. If it's enough to make you worry, it's enough to make you call the
vet. Don't be afraid to ask him or her questions.

Encourage your cat to play by accepting her play overtures whenever you can.
You know from your cat's body language when she wants you to toss a toy or
chase her around the house or tickle her with a feather. Take her up on the
invitation, and you'll both get more exercise and have a great time
together!

Time to put up the Christmas tree? Make sure the bottom branches have
cat-safe ornaments -- cardboard or plastic -- with no sharp edges and
nothing that will break. Cover the water dish you set the tree in, because
kitty can get sick if she drinks from it. If your cat likes to climb the
tree, keep her away by scattering pine cones around the base -- it's
festive, seasonal, and best of all, cats won't walk on them.

Keeping your cat's litter box spotlessly clean is the best way to head off
out-of-box eliminations. It will also keep your house smelling fresh and
keep your cat happy and healthy. Boxes should be scooped at least once a day
and emptied and washed periodically. How often that is depends on the litter
you use, but a good general rule is that if the box still smells after you
have scooped it, it's time to empty, wash, and put in new litter. It's just
not fair to expect your cat to use a stinky box.

Make sure your cat has a soft, sunny spot for his nap. Most homes get full
sunlight in about the same place every day and your puss will notice that.
She will be eternally grateful if you make sure there is a couch,
upholstered chair, bed, window perch, tall cat tree, or snuggly cat bed in
that spot. Sleeping in the sun is a cat's idea of heaven.

Is it a struggle to get your cat into her carrier? It should not be so
stressful for kitty, or for you. And there may come a time when you have to
get her out of the house quickly. It's simple to teach your cat to get into
her carrier. Start by leaving it on the floor and open all the time, so it
becomes a nice little bed for your cat. Now, toss in a treat and, as your
cat goes in after it, pair the action with a word: "inside" or "carrier"
perhaps. Praise her and just leave the door open. Toss in a treat once a
day, paired with the word. Eventually, you'll be able to say the word first
and then toss in the treat. As your cat gets the idea, close the door for
very brief periods and then open it again. That wasn't so bad, was it?

An older cat will really appreciate it if you raise her food and water
dishes off the floor a few inches. Many pet supply stores sell low racks for
pet dishes. They make things much easier on your cat's neck and back.

Teach your cat to fetch. This may be easier than you thought, or it may be
impossible, but you'll both have fun trying. Throw a small toy for your cat,
and when he pounces on it, call him to you with the enticement of a little
cat treat. If he brings the toy to you, give him the treat. Then toss the
toy again and say "fetch." He'll catch on after a few more repetitions, and
the play will become its own reward. If he drops the toy and just comes
running over for the treat, you go get the toy, toss it again, and try
calling him again with a treat. He may catch on, or you may end up fetching
the toy.

Daily Cat reader Lisa Walker writes:

"I have a great solution for cats on the countertops. I've been using this
one for years to train my many cats, and it's a no-fail, no-harm solution. I
use spray adhesive on some old newspapers and lay them open, sticky side up,
on the forbidden counters and tables. The cat will only jump onto this
sticky surface a couple of times before he stops! The paper can easily be
picked up and relaid when you need to use the counter, and this solution is
useful even when you aren't there to enforce the law. Cats just don't like
the tacky feeling on their paws, yet once the adhesive is dry, it won't
stick enough to harm your kitty -- it will just creep him out."

Cats crave routine. Serve your cat her daily meals at about the same time
each day, and schedule regular play time and regular cuddle time. You'll
soon find you're both looking forward to the routine.

Daily Cat reader Helen Grace writes:

"I have a beautiful male three-year-old cat. For months he would pee in the
corner of the bedroom carpet and anywhere else in the bedroom. I broke the
cycle by mixing a whole bottle of 100 percent lavender essential oil with
water and spraying it every five weeks on his favorite spots. Now my cat
never pees on the carpet."

A short piece of toilet paper tied to a string makes a great cat toy. Make
the toilet paper "fly" in slow circles just above your cat's head and watch
her go crazy hunting that "bird." This is a one-time-use toy -- just throw
it away after the play session -- but it's so cheap that who cares?

Daily Cat reader Susan Mills writes:

"I was raised with a female Siamese cat, whom my mother trained to jump up
into her arms. When I got my current cat (also female and Siamese), she was
so active that I decided to try to teach her the trick. To my surprise, it
was easier than I expected. It's simply a matter of encouraging her with
treats to first stretch up and take increasingly larger leaps as she grew.
Now almost seven years old, she will leap into my arms whenever she wants a
kitty treat and eat it from my hand while I hold her. I don't know how many
cats can be taught this, but it's a fun way to interact with your cat."

Cats prefer to eat their food at room temperature or slightly warm. But if
your cat doesn't finish off a whole can of cat food in about 20 minutes, the
rest should be stored in the refrigerator. So how do you warm the cold food?
Try stirring in a few spoonfuls of hot water (stir it well, so there are no
hot spots in the food). You can also microwave the food, but start by using
the low "defrost" setting for just 30 seconds. Your cat doesn't want the
food to be hot, and neither do you -- cat food sometimes explodes in the
microwave when it gets hot.

Clean your cat's food and water dishes with hot, soapy water and rinse
thoroughly every day. You wouldn't want to use dirty dishes for your own
food and water, and neither does your cat.

Warts, bumps and lumps are usually nothing to worry about, but sometimes
they can be the first sign of cancer in pets. Regularly give your cat a full
body rub, and you'll know what's normal and what's not for his body. If you
find anything unusual, call your vet.

Sing a duet with your cat. The next time he meows, answer him back in your
best imitation of his sound. As his meow changes, change yours to match.
Your cat may decide to exchange only a word or two, or he may try to teach
you a whole song. Cats love this kind of attention, whether it's face to
face or across different rooms in the house.

The bolts that hold together a cat tree tend to loosen up over time, making
the tree wobbly and unstable. Once a year, take out your wrench and tighten
up all the hardware on your cat's tree. You may have to partially take it
apart to make sure everything is tight and secure, but your cat will really
appreciate it.

It's OK to tell kitty when she's doing something wrong, but never hit or
swat at your cat. There's no need to yell, either, since cats have excellent
hearing. Instead, if your cat is doing something wrong, make a sound like a
cat hiss -- and only use that sound to express your displeasure with your
cat. She'll soon learn that when you make that sound, she should stop what
she's doing.

Make up a song about your cat. My friend Maryjean Ballner (author of the
book Cat Massage from St. Martin's Griffin) calls this "voice massage." Cats
really enjoy the melodic quality of singing (no matter what your voice
sounds like), the face-to-face attention when you sing to them, and the
repetition of their name as part of the lyrics.

Chat with your cat using your "cat voice." Don't even try to deny that you
have one, because we all do. And research has shown that cats really like to
hear a soft, high-pitched voice and respond with pleasure and affection.

Location matters when it comes to your cat's litter box. Put it someplace
that's easy to get to (not in a dark and cold basement, for example, deep in
a closet, or outside in the garage) and in an area that is not too busy.
Your cat feels vulnerable in the box, and may not want to use it if there is
always a lot of action going on around her.

Never give a cat aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil), or any
other anti-inflammatory medication made for humans. Cats lack the enzymes
needed to metabolize these drugs, and they can be life-threatening. If your
cat accidentally ingests one of these drugs, seek veterinary care
immediately.

Cat toys that move in unpredictable ways are more stimulating than toys that
follow a regular pattern. You provide the motion for the most unpredictable
toys, of course. But when you're not home, toys with erratic movement are
more likely to excite and entertain your cat.

Cats are very stoic animals, and they often don't show they're sick until
things have really gotten bad. That's why any sudden illness, change in
eating habits, or change in behavior needs immediate veterinary attention.
This is especially true for older cats.

Daily Cat reader Hazel writes in that when she looks after her friend's cat,
the visitor is often nervous when meals are served (she's afraid Hazel's
resident cats might steal her food) and therefore tends to eat erratically.
Hazel solved the problem by making sure each cat in the house has a
"sanctuary" spot where he can eat alone. One cat has his meals served under
a bookshelf in the hallway, one eats in an elevated storage crate in the
lounge, and so on. This way, every cat feels secure at mealtimes and enjoys
his food.

Got a shy kitty? Give her a safe haven in every room, so that she can always
be in the same room with you without being exposed. Small cardboard boxes
with low sides work well. You can start by covering part of the box with a
towel, so she can get into her "tent" and be invisible.

There are many reasons why a cat will change litter box habits, but very
often a physical problem is the culprit. It's important to always check out
the medical reasons first, by taking your cat to the vet for a check-up.

Cats don't need to have food available all day. Don't feed your cat more
than the daily amount your vet has recommended -- no matter how much she
asks. Break the daily ration down into two or three small meals, and that's
it. Your cat may howl, but that's habit talking, not hunger. Pudgy cats are
definitely not healthy cats.

Do you spend most of your evenings on the couch watching TV? Sit on the
floor instead, and play with your cat while you watch. You and kitty will
enjoy the commercial breaks a lot more if you spend them playing together.

Cats love rituals. Get into a routine where your cat has a few minutes of
special snuggle time every day, perhaps when you come home from work or
after you finish your dinner. Sit down in the same place each time, call
your cat over to you, and just scratch her behind the ears, talk to her, or
do whatever else she likes. Soon you'll both be looking forward to your
special time together.

When your cat reaches out with his nose to sniff something you're holding,
hold it down for a moment and let your kitty examine it (unless it's
something dangerous to the cat). One way cats learn about objects in their
world is by sniffing, and there's no harm in letting a curious cat explore
interesting new smells. Everyone likes to check out new things, including
your cat.

Grow some catnip in your garden. The bright green leaves and purple flowers
are lovely additions to the foliage, and catnip is easy to grow (it's in the
mint family, after all!). Just make sure you don't spray any pesticides near
the catnip crop. Your cat will appreciate a few fresh leaves all summer, and
you can cut down the plants and dry them in the autumn for a home-grown
winter supply.

Looking out the window is like watching feline TV for your cat, especially
if your window faces a yard or garden. Give your cat a comfy spot to enjoy
the view at the window with an easy-to-attach perch, a carefully placed cat
tree or even a folded towel on a wide windowsill.

After washing your cat's litter box, dry it in the sun if you can. The
direct sunlight actually kills many germs, and the fresh air gives the box a
cleaner scent without adding perfumes -- which most cats hate. Apartment
dwellers can dry the box on the windowsill (make sure you have secure
screens, so the cat and the litter box don't fall out the open window).

Keep the lid closed on your toilet bowl. Even if you don't use "drop-in"
cleaners (which are toxic), residue from toilet cleaning products can still
make your cat sick if she decides to drink the water. Cats can also fall
into the bowl, and may have a very hard time getting out. If your cat drinks
often from the toilet bowl, or seems to prefer it, it's a sign that she
wants cleaner, fresher water. Change the water in her dish more frequently,
or consider a feline fountain.

Looking out the window is like cat TV, especially if your window faces a
yard that has birds, squirrels, and other fascinating critters. Make sure
your cat has a comfortable place to sit by the window and watch the world go
by. Place a tall cat tree by a window that faces a tree. Or you can get a
window perch that attaches to your windowsill.

Many cats like to be picked up and held, but usually they only like it for a
very short time. The instant your cat begins to fuss or struggle, put her
down. (Some really can't bear the feeling that they've lost control, and you
should respect their wishes.) Always support a cat's hindquarters when you
pick her up. A comfortable way to hold her is to rest her against your body
with her front paws on your shoulder and your arm under her rump.

Cats have evolved to get their energy from protein, not carbohydrates, and
can survive without any carbohydrates in their diet. Look for cat foods that
have more meat products than grain products to satisfy your cat's unique
needs.

Old April 4th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 04:56:39 GMT, "Matthew AKA NMR"
yodeled:
(snip)

Most cats enjoy a little face-to-face conversation-as long as it's not
in-your-face.

In WHOSE face? You can't mean not in MY face. Here is what I usually
see when I wake up in the morning:
http://image18.webshots.com/18/3/2/5...3tyFxoF_ph.jpg

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old April 5th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:51:56 -0400, Kreisleriana
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 04:56:39 GMT, "Matthew AKA NMR"
yodeled:
(snip)

Most cats enjoy a little face-to-face conversation-as long as it's not
in-your-face.

In WHOSE face? You can't mean not in MY face. Here is what I usually
see when I wake up in the morning:
http://image18.webshots.com/18/3/2/5...3tyFxoF_ph.jpg

LOL! Thanks for the laugh!

Old April 8th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 04:56:39 GMT, "Matthew AKA NMR"
yodeled:
(snip)

Most cats enjoy a little face-to-face conversation-as long as it's not
in-your-face.

In WHOSE face? You can't mean not in MY face. Here is what I usually
see when I wake up in the morning:
http://image18.webshots.com/18/3/2/5...3tyFxoF_ph.jpg

Had to smile. Cats are banned from my bedroom as I'm a poor sleeper and
they'd be sure to wake me.
They seem happy to sleep downstairs.

Tweed