One mean kitty... help!

Old August 16th 05, 05:02 PM

Default One mean kitty... help!

Hey guys... I've got a situation on my hands that may well cost me a
roomate.

About 6 weeks ago I moved into a house with a friend. I've 2 cats, she
has one. Mine are Chiana and Dargo, hers is Snowball. Chiana is just
over 2yrs old and Snowball is about 7yrs old. The first three weeks the
cats where in a get-to-know-ya stage, lots of apprehension and sniffing
but no violence. But lately the problem is Chiana has established
herself as queen of the house and doesn't mind physically enforcing
that position. She's guarding most of the house and kitchen where the
food is and will chase Snowball back into my roomates room. He's afraid
to try and pass her. He's going periods without food and access to the
pet door. His litter box is the great out doors and last night, rather
then try to deal with Chiana he opted to poop in my roomates bath tub.
Ummm.. my roomate is ****ed. Mostly at me because she doesn't believe
I'm doing anything to 'discipline' my cat and stop her from being a
bully.

When I see Chiana making an aggressive move towards Snowball I
intervene with a yell, or loud clap. But obviously I won't be able to
stop her every time. I need advice as to how to go about getting Chiana
to coexist with Snowball.

Any suggestions would be apreciated!

Old August 17th 05, 04:24 AM
blkcatgal

Sounds like the 2 cats weren't properly introduced. You can't throw 2 or 3
cats together and expect everything to go smoothly. It's best to separate
them from one another (separate rooms) for about a week or so, slowly
letting them get use to the different smells, sounds, etc. When I got a new
kitten, I kept the kitten separate from my other cat for a week, slowly
introduced them to one another and only left them together alone after a
month had passed and I thought they would be okay without killing each
other. I would suggest that you search the internet for info on how to
introduce cats to one another. There's some good info out there. You may
have to start all over and begin the introduction fresh. Good luck.

S.
oups.com...

Old August 18th 05, 05:37 AM
Kalyahna

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey guys... I've got a situation on my hands that may well cost me a
roomate.

About 6 weeks ago I moved into a house with a friend. I've 2 cats, she
has one. Mine are Chiana and Dargo, hers is Snowball.

Yay, a Farscape fan!

Chiana is just
over 2yrs old and Snowball is about 7yrs old. The first three weeks the
cats where in a get-to-know-ya stage, lots of apprehension and sniffing
but no violence. But lately the problem is Chiana has established
herself as queen of the house and doesn't mind physically enforcing
that position. She's guarding most of the house and kitchen where the
food is and will chase Snowball back into my roomates room. He's afraid
to try and pass her. He's going periods without food and access to the
pet door. His litter box is the great out doors and last night, rather
then try to deal with Chiana he opted to poop in my roomates bath tub.

A re-introduction is in order, and to do it properly, your roommate is
either going to have to put up with her cat pooping in her tub, or get
herself food and water dishes and a litterbox or two for her bathroom so
that her cat CAN use the box and CAN eat and drink without being targeted by
Chiana. Perhaps Chiana and Dargo can be fed in your room so that if she
continues resource guarding, she'll just guard your room (where her food is)
instead of trying to guard 75% of the house.