Why is FeLV contagious?

Old June 27th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default Why is FeLV contagious?

"calvin" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 4:20 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
"cybercat" wrote:
"Matthew" wrote:
I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
this meant to be sarcastic

hahaha!

Didn't this "person" say he would not respond to us and a few others again

snipped

YAWN

Old June 28th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

What is that kids song?

Oh her we go, oh here we go, oh here we go AGAIN!
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"calvin" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 2:48 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Matthew" wrote:
I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
this meant to be sarcastic

hahaha!

If you're laughing at his grammar, yes it's hilarious.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shot to the heart. I am so wounded by the grammer
nazi. Help I am dying here!! Calvin tried to make a funny but doesn't
realize that some one that makes grammer comments still wets the bed.

You want Phil to send you a crayon poster with the information that is a
simple Google look up that has actual up to date reliable sources AND NOT
BLOGS.

Here I will save him and us the headache. If you don't understand these 3
TOP sources. PAY A VET

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_leukemia_virus
http://felineleukemia.org/

Now go away

Old June 28th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On Jun 28, 12:49*pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
... My company is my choice. *No matter how "bad"
cybercat can be she is helpful also. ...

'Cybercat' is female? I thought only males on the internet
were that nasty. My mistake, thanks for the correction.
Old June 30th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jun 26, 7:13*pm, calvin wrote:
Is it a virus?

Yes. The V stands for virus.

How contagious is it? *Is one drink from the same
water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?

Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
while the carrier lives on?

Thanks for any answers.

At one link that Matthew shared, it takes you to this one (it's an FeLV
+ FAQ):

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resou...hure/felv.html

That one explains how it *can* be transferred, how it *can* affect
cats, and other things I hadn't thought of. Every cat is different.
Perhaps your older cat was already ill, and coming into contact with
the stray overtaxed her immune system?

I'm very sorry to hear you lost her.
Old July 1st 09, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"calvin" wrote in message
Is it a virus?

FeLV = [Fe] line [L] eukemia [V] irus.

How contagious is it?

Depends on the age of the cat. Kittens and cats 4 mo are very susceptible.
Older cats are highly resistant. The older the cat the more resistant they
are- its a phenomenon called "age-related resistance".

Is one drink from the same
water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?

Possible but highly improbable in that time frame- especially at your
deceased cat's age.. It takes a lot of virus and prolonged, intimate
contact to establish a persistant infection.

Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
while the carrier lives on?

Highly improbable. Persistently infected cats usually don't begin to develop
clinical signs for many months- or even years in many cases.

Your FeLV+ cat had nothing to do with your deceased cat's death.

Old July 1st 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On Jul 1, 3:24*am, "Phil P." wrote:
"calvin" wrote:
[...]

Thank you for these responses.
Old August 2nd 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alida

On Jun 28, 2:04*am, calvin wrote:
On Jun 27, 11:55*am, "Matthew"
wrote:

I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet *was
this meant to be sarcastic"Granby"

So which is it? *Am I supposed to believe the internet, or not?
Last time you said no. *This time Granby says yes. *Why not
just answer my questions, if you can?

a href="http://www.bytobyshop.com"nike dunk/a
a href="http://www.bytobyshop.com"nike shox/a
a href="http://www.bytobyshop.com"nike air max/a