Dilema...

Old January 20th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Dilema...

I'm considering applying to the RSPCA to become an Inspector. However, I
have a moral dilema. The RSPCA does good work. However, having done my
research, it is also a very contraversial organisation in that it will
euthanaise healthy animals for lack of homes, (70,000+ last year) and
there have been situations where peoples pets have been euthaniased by
mistake because of RSPCA policies that are in place, as well as seizures
taking place in unwaranted circumstances.

One of the comments that was made to me by an inspector who I used to
ride my horse with, was that after a while the animals euthanised become
just numbers and you detatch from them and they cease being anything
other than statistics. I know I *CAN* euthanaise animals - I've had to
on several occasions, but they have always been animals that were
suffering from incurable medical problems and not healthy animals.

I don't agree with the RSPCA feral cat policies (trap and euthanaisia),
and would find it exceptionally difficult to destroy a perfectly healthy
animal - I would go as far as to say it's against my spiritual and moral
beliefs. However, you also act as an animal advocate, and get to do a
lot of good - rescue of cruelty victims and the like.

I don't know how I feel about the job at the moment. I really don't. i
know that during training you are required to slaughter cattle & to
euthanaise healthy cats & dogs to prove you can do it and are *up to the
task*. Killing cattle and live stock, I can deal with. Pet animals are a
whole different ball game.

On one hand, I want to get involved with the whole *get animals out of
bad situations*, and I'd be very good at it because I have a lot of the
esential skills required for the job. On the other hand, I've never
heard a good word said about the RSPCA and their euthanaisia/destruction
policy is a toughy.

The floor is open. I'd welcome some discussion on this, as I really an
torn. As i said, I've not made up my mind one way or the other.

Helen M

Old January 20th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:7d3d63ffd20d377e3c4a644d840788f3.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
[...]

I can understand your problem. I don't have any advice to offer. I don't
think I could do it, but I understand why you are considering it. I wish
you the best, whatever you decide.

Joy

Old January 20th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen this is going to be the hardest choice you every can make. On the
one hand you can do good by getting those animals abusers off the street.
On the other hand you have to watch the one of the nasty secrets of
societies come true daily.
I could not stand by and watch healthy animals be put down for lack of
space when I know there is a chance for them to surivive if society just get
off its lazy good for nothing ass and cough up money to help.

The good verse the evil which might be done with good intentions. Helen if
you take this job you better be ready for an emotional roller coaster. This
job will tear you up and spit you out if you are not ready and I am not
talking about your skills. It will effect you and your family. If you make
it in this job I will say you are stronger than me and I hope you do well in
it.

Old January 20th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-20, Helen Miles penned:

I don't know how I feel about the job at the moment. I really don't.
i know that during training you are required to slaughter cattle &
to euthanaise healthy cats & dogs to prove you can do it and are *up
to the task*. Killing cattle and live stock, I can deal with. Pet
animals are a whole different ball game.

I find this part disturbing. Isn't the pet overpopulation problem not
nearly as bad in the UK as in the US? Does this mean that they're
purposely keeping healthy pets available just so their trainees can
euthanize them?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 20th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I find this part disturbing. Isn't the pet overpopulation problem not
nearly as bad in the UK as in the US? Does this mean that they're
purposely keeping healthy pets available just so their trainees can
euthanize them?

Unlike the National Canine Defence League and Cats Protection who never
destroy a healthy animal, The RSPCA is NOT a no-kill organisation. They
routinely euthanaise companion animals. The trainees have to euthanaise
those that are on "death row" and who are being pulled because their
time is up.

Helen M

Old January 20th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:
[...]

Helen, I think there is absolutely no question that you would be a
wonderful, valuable asset to the organization. I've read your posts for
years and I know you to be a highly compassionate person who has a
brain. You're perfect for the job.
But I don't know whether the organization would be good for *you*. I
guess you're the only one who can find out. Purrs for the right
decision for you.
I volunteer with an organization that I truly believe in and support
their policies. And I found that I can only work day-to-day for four
months at a stretch. Then I get crazy and have nightmares and have to
slack off and just do fundraising kind of stuff. I also thought I was
going to help with euthanasia in the very beginning. That didn't work.
I couldn't do it.

Sherry

Old January 20th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Personally, I would not even consider it. I have no time at all for the
RSPCA, would never give them even a penny of my money and would be happy to
discuss it with you on private mail.
You've said half of it already. Hey, that's such a good idea to get you to
kill some healthy animals, eh, and somehow that makes you able to be.. what?
Kind and caring like the RPCA. snort

Tweed

Old January 20th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:7d3d63ffd20d377e3c4a644d840788f3.76411@mygate .mailgate.org

I'm considering applying to the RSPCA to become an Inspector. However, I
have a moral dilema. The RSPCA does good work. However, having done my
research, it is also a very contraversial organisation in that it will
euthanaise healthy animals for lack of homes, (70,000+ last year) and
there have been situations where peoples pets have been euthaniased by
mistake because of RSPCA policies that are in place, as well as seizures
taking place in unwaranted circumstances.///

Thanks to everyone for the input. I had a very long conversation with
someone who knows me very well, and isn't afraid to "say it how it is".
Having talked it through with her, I don't honestly beleive that I'd be
able to look at myself in the mirror and believe I was doing a good
thing for animals by working for the RSPCA. I'm going to stick an
organisation that has the same values on the lives as animals as I do
and find another job. Thanks for helping to clarify things folks.

At the risk of sounding flaky, I think that if I did 1/2 the stuff that
I've been told I'd have to do in training, I will quite simply have sold
my soul to the devil.

Helen M

Old January 20th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Helen, I think organizations like this are necessary, and I'm *very* glad
that there are people who can do this - if it weren't for them the
overpopulation of companion animals would cause horrible consequences for
them. However, I don't think it's a good idea for you. I think it would
break your heart and be deeply disturbing for you. You *might* get to a
point where you could euthanize a healthy animal and still sleep at night,
but I don't think you'd *want* to get to that point (or at least I
wouldn't - I would feel I had lost something, some part of my soul that I
couldn't get back again).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped