*Bowel Problems!*

Old November 26th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
OwnedByTheKitty

Default *Bowel Problems!*

Hi everyone!
I hope I am doing this correctly. I'm new here and not sure how this
works but I am very worried and need some advice? support? Or
something.

I have a 14 year old male DLH kitty named Smokie. It has been almost 2
days since he has moved his bowels. He's acting normal in every other
way. Has urinated ok, is eating, cleaning himself and playing as
normal. He has no other medical conditions that I am aware of. I gave
him some petromalt hairball remedy this evening as well as 2 finger
fulls of vasoline. I was wondering if I should be worried? Or is 2 days
not a long time?

Sorry to ramble, I am just very upset. Smokie is like my baby and I am
get upset when something like this happens.

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer
(Smokie's Mom! )

Old November 26th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Some cats only go every other day, but it sounds as if your cat isn't
one of those. Since he has long hair, I would guess he has hair balls
and that is what is backing him up. It is good that you have already
dosed him with hairball remedies. Also try Temptations for Hairball
treats. They come in a foil pouch. The cats love them and they work
really well.

Old November 28th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, OwnedByTheKitty exclaimed (26-Nov-06 4:51 PM):
[...]

Two days isn't terrible, but it's definitely something to pay attention
too if he's more regular. I'd keep with the petromalt and vasoline, and
if he goes another 24 hours without passing anything, give your regular
vet a call. Could be a hairball backing him up. How long ago did you
give the petromalt and vaseline? It can take some time to work.

My cat sometimes gets constipated (5 days!) but Laxatone, available from
the vet, usually clears that up. Also, make sure he's drinking
sufficiently. If he's getting only dry, try feeding him some canned food.

And, keep an eye on him. If he's going to the box and straining to poo,
but nothing's happening, definitely make a vet appointment.

jmc
Old November 29th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
OwnedByTheKitty

Hi all! Thank you for the great advice. It was very helpful. I'm
estatic to report that he is back to normal now. I get teased something
awful for keeping track of his potty activity but it's important, I
think...you'd do it for a baby, so why not a fur baby, right? =]

I'm keeping up with the petromalt and vasoline. Petromalt once a week
and a small finger of vasoline daily...he loves vasoline and gets
excited to see the jar come out. LOL, but he runs from the
petromalt...I put it on his paws and he HATES it.

Thanks again so much to all!
Hugs, Jennifer