Coping with a missing pet

Old October 14th 04, 01:56 AM
KellyH

Default Coping with a missing pet

I've read the missing cat posts here and in other forums, and I'm always
vicariously worried for the poster. I've never dealt with this situation
before. Well, once for half and day, and I thought that was torture. It
turned out Dash(RB) was in the house the whole time.
I'm going crazy with worry about Antonio. How do you handle this? I've
done just about everything I can think of. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I
can poke around some yards that back up to our condos. I feel awful, like I
let Antonio down. :*(

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old October 14th 04, 03:18 AM
Dan M

KellyH wrote:

I've read the missing cat posts here and in other forums, and I'm always
vicariously worried for the poster. I've never dealt with this situation
before. Well, once for half and day, and I thought that was torture. It
turned out Dash(RB) was in the house the whole time.
I'm going crazy with worry about Antonio. How do you handle this? I've
done just about everything I can think of. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I
can poke around some yards that back up to our condos. I feel awful, like I
let Antonio down. :*(

Those of us who have experienced this are familiar with how terrifying
this is. However, from the description it sounds like you certainly did
not let Antonio down. It was his choice to make the door dash.

I'd recommend that you check out the various web pages that cover the
ways a kitty's behavior changes when he gets outside. And if you get a
clue as to where he might be hiding out, I'd recommend placing traps as
soon as you can.

I remember a few years back when DD got out of the house and was missing
for most of a day. Nancy stayed at home to keep an eye out for her. I
went to work, but it was a waste - I spent all day thinking about the
missing kitty.

Old October 14th 04, 03:51 AM
Singh

Please, PLEASE do not blame yourself! You will only torture yourself needlessly.
Your worry proves that you are human and humane, but kicking yourself will only
get you a sore caboose. Continue to search, check your local shelters for cats
of Antonio's description, and have a word with whomever is your Higher Power.

How we deal with losing a pet is unique to the person, but the best way is to
talk about it with those who understand that this is not some lower life form
you're concerned over. It is a living being who is capable of thought and
feeling, albeit different from the way we twolegs do it. For instance, had I
known about this group when our Fritzie crossed over last year, I would not have
ended up in the middle of the mall with a bag full of makeup that I didn't know
how it got in my hands... but that's the subject of another talk show entirely.

Please remember that a cat is by nature a curious little person, and curious
little people often wander. That is NOT a symptom of you letting them down. It's
Mama Nature's way of helping them follow the hunt and provide for themselves,
and the kittens if they're mama-cats. Antonio is being a cat, and he lost his
way. I know how dear he must have become to you, and I am as sad about this as
you must be; my first kitty, Ginger, ran off in natural curiosity just days
before he was neutered, and not a trace of him was to be found in our very small
town. because of this, I feel your anguish over this, and spent a long time
kicking myself too.

Groups like us will be here and we'll rejoice with you when he comes back, and
grieve with you if he does not. Everyone who reads your message will be sending
their purrs and prayers from all over the world! And above all, if you do have a
Higher Power, rely and trust in Him or Her that when Antonio returns it is by
the Divine Grace, and if not then God/dess will care for him and heal your
heart. And we will all be here to help.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old October 14th 04, 04:07 AM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:51:51 -0400, Singh
yodeled:

Please, PLEASE do not blame yourself! You will only torture yourself needlessly.
Your worry proves that you are human and humane, but kicking yourself will only
get you a sore caboose. Continue to search, check your local shelters for cats
of Antonio's description, and have a word with whomever is your Higher Power.

snip I'm glad Baha answered so eloquently because just the thought
of this makes me so so upset I can't think straight, but I wanted so
much to say something consoling to you. I can only point to what she
said, and say, "Yeah." Please don't beat yourself up, and we'll keep
up the purrs.

Theresa