Cat Carrier Size?

Old January 13th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat Carrier Size?

On Jan 12, 9:36 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Take a large towel wrap it around them gives you some protection drop
furball in. It does several things one keeps them from seeing what
coming tow gives them a place to hide while in the carrier also soaks up
in urine that they might lose when in there

Also leave the carrier out all the time let them get used too it so it is
not a scary place. You can also feed the furball in their so he gets used
to it

wrote in message

On Jan 12, 9:12 pm, "cindys" wrote:
wrote in message

I should mention that the small Petmate carrier is 19" X 12.5" X 10"
for my 15-16 lb cat. Too small?

-----
I don't know what are the dimensions of my cat carrier, but it is a size
"large." This is the one I use for my cats that weigh 11 to 14 pounds. I
also have a "small" carrier, which I used for Molly (of blessed memory).
She
weighed 10 pounds, and it was a good size for her. I currently use the
small
one for Daisy who weighs 9 pounds. Again, the small one is a good size
for
Daisy. I don't own a "medium," so I can't say if it would have been
large
enough for my 11 to 14 pound cats or not.
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Well, I tried standing it up with the opening facing up, and tried
dropping the cat in with both ends first, but no dice. He had other
ideas and braced himself on the edges and wouldn't go in. I will try
again. The other problem is that at 15-16 lbs. he's too heavy for me
to carry, and I need to be able to put the carrier on the seat of my
mom walker so it needs to be not too big. If I put some ham on the
other end he might climb in for it. Maybe if I cut off his tail...just
kidding...LOL!

My cat left another "present" on the bath rug again last night. He had
done it before when I looked in the bathroom to allow my mom to eat in
peace. I guess this his way of letting me know he wasn't pleased with
my efforts to get him into the carrier. I will have to close the
bathroom door now after I use it, as I will try and see if he can fit
into it again today...LOL! The little ****!!!
Old January 16th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 12, 10:13 pm, "cindys" wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message

... Take a large towel wrap it around them gives you some protection drop
furball in. It does several things one keeps them from seeing what
coming tow gives them a place to hide while in the carrier also soaks up
in urine that they might lose when in there

Also leave the carrier out all the time let them get used too it so it
is not a scary place. You can also feed the furball in their so he gets
used to it

-------
Exactly my answer. What I do is bring out the carrier a few days in advance
and leave it standing on end with the door open. Amanda doesn't pay much
attention to it after it's been there for several days. When the time comes,
I drop a towel over her, grab her, dump her in, and close the door. By the
time she's extricated herself from the towel, she's secure in the carrier.
One of my friends puts her cat in a pillowcase and puts her cat inside the
carrier in the pillowcase. It takes longer for the cat to wiggle out of the
pillowcase than the towel. This procedure is easier to carry out with the
large carrier, although Amanda is small enough that she would fit in the
small carrier (if she cooperated).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Ok, I tried that but with the pillowcase and it worked. Got the cat in
but it's really too small for a 15-16 lb. cat. They said 19" but it's
really only 16.5" long on the bottom pan of the carrier. Sending it
back and getting another a bit larger. Called Petmate and they said
this one was good for up to a 20 lb. pet, and the other only 10 lb.
The little stinker left me another "present" on the bath rug as a
thank you gift for trying to get him into the carrier all afternoon.
Guess he didn't appreciate all my efforts...LOL!
Old January 19th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

wrote on 12/01/2008 :
OK, never having a cat before I didn't know what to get. The medium
sized ones seemed to large at 24 X 16.6", so I got the small whose
measurement seemed larger than it actually was. My cat is large at
15-16 lbs. and he didn't much like me seeing if he would fit in there.
Seemed it was too small, but I didn't get a chance to see if I could
get his tail in, as he hightailed it out of there. The sides aren't
that easy to get closed with the cat in there either. It's the Petmate
small taxi.

Ok, so I finally get all the clasps closed on the sides, and figure I
will just drop him him from the top. He didn't much like that idea
either, putting him paws firmly on the top to stop from going in head
first. Tail first I had the same problem with his back legs. I think
the soft sided ones are easier but they seemed to small too. What size
should a cat this size have? He just needs to go about 2 bocks or so
when I have to take him to the vet.

When you all stop laughing can someone please help me out here...;-).

Mine looks too big but the cat has plenty of room. If they have to
spend time in the thing then maybe the larger the better. It is
awkward to carry any distance though and tbh I think maybe I should
have bought a smaller one which would have been more manageable for me.
But am I just thinking of myself ?

--
Count Baldoni