Can I have purrs for my brother's cat, Geddy?

Old November 12th 12, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default Can I have purrs for my brother's cat, Geddy?

My bro sent me an email telling me that he hasn't eaten in more than 24
hours, and has been throwing up bile (yellowish slime). He has an
appointment to visit a vet this afternoon (he actually found one near
him that is open on Sunday!!!!!)... we are both hoping that its just a
hairball, hopefully he will not need surgery...

Later in the day he sent me
"Just got back. After probing, prodding, poking, blood, urine and an
x-ray (all reluctantly, and under protest, provided by Geddy, not me) it
seems he may have a lower intestinal/colon blockage. The Dr isn't
exactly sure. He got some fluids and some meds. Plus he got a shot of
Barium for a follow up x-ray first thing tomorrow AM. With the Barium
they should have a better view and understanding of the extent of
blockage. There is a chance he passes it tonight. They also saw a little
bit of gas, and yours truly doesn't want to be here for that expulsion.
More as it happens . . . ."

Getty is a silver tabby, and is his baby (especially since the divorce
and the kids growing up), and named after Bro's fave singer - Geddy Lee
(of the rock band RUSH). Geddy was a father's day present from his kids
(as he put it rather sarcastically at the time "just what I wanted,
another mouth to feed") and they have really bonded. He's a scaredy
cat, and hides in a kitchen cupboard whenever visitors (even me, the
crazy cat lady in the family) comes over. I think I've seen him twice:
once when he was hiding in the cupboard, and once when bro tracked him
down and brought him out for me to give chin skritchins to (he let me
give him 2 skritches before showing signs that he wanted back in his
hidey hole, so bro let him down).

Geddy is 100% indoor, so I don't think he's gotten into anything,
therefore the probability that the "blockage" is a hairball is pretty
good. I'm hoping that the additional fluids he was given and the barium
help it to pass, and surgery is not needed.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old November 12th 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/12/2012 9:20 AM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

(gentle snippage)

Geddy is 100% indoor, so I don't think he's gotten into anything,
therefore the probability that the "blockage" is a hairball is pretty
good. I'm hoping that the additional fluids he was given and the barium
help it to pass, and surgery is not needed.

Purrs on the way the vet can figure this out! Hopefully something simple.

Jill

--
The person who rows the boat seldom has time to rock it.
Old November 12th 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs coming from over the pond that he will recover soon and not need
surgery and if he does, may he recover quickly.

Old November 12th 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

Purrs are on the way.

--
Joy

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. --
Steven Wright

Old November 12th 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

Purrs from fellow scaredy cat Kotyo and hairball factory Sweety. I hope
he gets better soon.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old November 12th 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_3_]

Another update about Bro's cat, Geddy:

Nancy Lee

Second update from my bro about his cat, Geddy:
"Just got back from Geddy’s second set of x-rays. Much more definition was visible with the Barium x-ray. It is now more evident that it is just regular poop that has him stopped up. Dr. said it now looks like it has passed from the intestines and is now waiting in hiatus in the colon for the eventual exit. Dr. hopes it will be within the next 24 hours. Geddy looks happier now and almost wants to start begging for food, I can tell.

My bill came in way below your similar expenses, but there wasn’t any overnight stay. Plus this was during regular office times since this is a Banfield Pet Hospital and is situated within a PetSmart. They are open every day of the week with 3 DVMs splitting duties (yep, I said duty). They appear to be a national chain. You may want to check them out this Thanksgiving’s pet emergency. I’d seen them before whilst visiting PetSmart but didn’t think of them during my frantic search of weekend vet options.

I really blew it. I had the golden opportunity to crack what I think is perhaps the funniest pun ever. Here is what happens. The vet is this tiny young lady that has such a perky demeanor, as well as an unbelievably strong handshake for someone of her diminutive statue. She shows me Geddy’s abdominal x-ray and we are looking at what is apparently his prized possession for the last few days. She states that his poop is slowly making its way through the colon. In her professional opinion it looks like normal ****. Here is where I SHOULD have said, “Dr. it looks like I see something in his poop. I can’t exactly make it out but it looks like there is some lettering in there. Excuse me while I put on my reading glasses because I can’t read sh!t without them.” Would have made Ron White proud"

So the news is good - no surgery needed! I'm surprised that they have good vets at the Banfield/PetSmart near him, as they lack any ability to hire someone with competence and the tenacity to stick it out at the one near me, but I do live in a much smaller town than he does.
Old November 13th 12, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

I'm very glad to hear this good news.
--
Adrian
Old November 13th 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

I really blew it. I had the golden opportunity to crack what I think is perhaps the funniest pun ever. Here is what happens. The vet is this tiny young lady that has such a perky demeanor, as well as an unbelievably strong handshake for someone of her diminutive statue. She shows me Geddy?s abdominal x-ray and we are looking at what is apparently his prized possession for the last few days. She states that his poop is slowly making its way through the colon. In her professional opinion it looks like normal ****. Here is where I SHOULD have said, ?Dr. it looks like I see something in his poop. I can?t exactly make it out but it looks like there is some lettering in there. Excuse me while I put on my reading glasses because I can?t read sh!t without them.? Would have made Ron White proud"

Don't you hate it when you think of the best one-liner or comeback retort
AFTER the fact?

So the news is good - no surgery needed! I'm surprised that they have good vets at the Banfield/PetSmart near him, as they lack any ability to hire someone with competence and the tenacity to stick it out at the one near me, but I do live in a much smaller town than he does.

I'm glad he's not seriously ill.

Now, all you have to do is tell him: (wait for it...)

"Sh*t or get off the pot!"

--
Joyce

Old November 13th 12, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 11/12/2012 9:53 PM, Bastette wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

LOL Joyce!

I am glad that Geddy is getting better, but I am also glad that this
happened NOW instead of in a few weeks while Bro is away and Mom is
cat-sitting for him! Mom doesn't have any pets- well, she likes to
catch caterpillars in jars, feeds them until they pupate (hibernate in
cocoons), keeps them in the utility room over the winter (dark and
closed off from the rest of her apartment, on an outside wall so it
stays cooler than the rest of her apartment) and then brings them out to
"hatch" in the spring and then release them - but I don't consider those
pets since you can't really "pet" them, and you only have to care for
them for a few weeks before they pupate, and then it's just a matter of
waiting... If Geddy started puking up nothing but bile, Mom would have
panicked!!! Of course I would have helped her and taken Geddy to my vet
(providing it didn't happen on a weekend like it did with Barney last
year), whom I love dearly and have fairly reasonable rates...

Old November 18th 12, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

Me too.
I have vets available 24/7, 365/12. I would not have a vet that did *office
hours"
Tigger smashed his face up via a car on a Sunday. My Pearlie girlie whippet
popped her spleen on a Bank Holiday Monday.
My vet was available. Tigger got his jaw wired.
Pearl got her spleen removed. It wasn't much later, maybe 9 months when
she couldm't get up because her leg broke because the cancer had spread so I
let her go to the bridge under anaesthetic.

I would never have a vet that did office hours. If Boyfie was ill at 4 a.m.
I could phone and a vet would come to the surgery to .treat him. I doubt
he would like it, but he does it. He's on call all night.
I've only twice had to get my vets up during the night. Both times it was
for births going wrong with my goats.
If I was braver I could have done it myself probably but I was too afraid to
put my fingers into a goat's vagina in case I hurt her.