IS MY CAT BORED

Old January 12th 05, 08:57 PM
Toni&Nate

Default IS MY CAT BORED

My wife say's get her a companion,is this the answer.She plays allot but
also sleeps allot.At age nine is this the right thing to do since she
has been #1 all these years.

Old January 12th 05, 11:33 PM
Margaret

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:57:36 -0500, Toni&Nate wrote:

My wife say's get her a companion,is this the answer.She plays allot but
also sleeps allot.At age nine is this the right thing to do since she
has been #1 all these years.

It could cause problems. I suppose she's had a good physical checkup?
Vitamins, attention from you?

Is she an indoor cat, outdoor, or indoor/outdoor?

Unless the vet says she's sleeping an excessive amount, are you sure this is
really a problem? If you do try a companion, maybe another of the same age
and laziness would be better than a younger one that might pester her too
much. And give the companion a temporary try, ready to send him/her away at
the first sign of trouble....

Margaret
-----------
Old January 12th 05, 11:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-12, Margaret penned:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:57:36 -0500, Toni&Nate wrote:

My wife say's get her a companion,is this the answer.She plays allot but
also sleeps allot.At age nine is this the right thing to do since she has
been #1 all these years.

It could cause problems. I suppose she's had a good physical checkup?
Vitamins, attention from you?

Is she an indoor cat, outdoor, or indoor/outdoor?

Unless the vet says she's sleeping an excessive amount, are you sure this is
really a problem? If you do try a companion, maybe another of the same age
and laziness would be better than a younger one that might pester her too
much. And give the companion a temporary try, ready to send him/her away at
the first sign of trouble....

I tried to bring in a 1.5yo cat to keep my 4yo cat company. Suffice it to say
that this wasn't the best idea I ever had, especially because I tried to just
let them work it out without using any of the commonly known techniques for
allowing cats to slowly adjust to one another.

Honestly, though, I don't think they would have been able to get along. Oscar
was unused to unwanted attention. Eros desperately wanted to hang out with
Oscar. The more forward he was in trying to get Oscar's attention, the more
she shrank away. Eventually, she would not leave the underside of my bed. It
was a miserable experience for her.

If she plays a lot and sleeps a lot, she's a typical cat. Why do you think
she's bored? Does she engage in distructive behavior? Does she want more of
your attention than you can give her?

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 13th 05, 01:04 AM
Spot

I don't know that I would bring another cat into the house after 9 years.
It may go over like a nuclear bomb. When Skippi passed away I tried to get
another cat to keep Meowzer company at that time he was about 7 years old
and would have no part of it. For the other cats safety I had to find
another home for the new cat. 22lb Meowzer verses a 5lb cat it just wasn't
a match made in heaven and no amount of giving it time or seperation was
going to fix it. About 6 months later he tolerated a new puppy quite well
but he was having no part of another cat in his house.

Long naps and sleeping is normal for a 9 year old. Cats slow down as they
age it's part of life. As much as we'd like them to be playful and
energetic forever and never grow old it happens. Unless there is a physical
reason for the sleeping which a check up would reveal I don't know that I'd
chance it.

Celeste

Old January 13th 05, 03:57 AM
Judy

"Toni&Nate" wrote in message
My wife say's get her a companion,is this the answer.

The answer to what?

She plays allot but also sleeps allot.

She sounds quite normal to me.

At age nine is this the right thing to do since she has been #1 all these
years.

Just my HMO - I wouldn't consider doing so.

Old January 13th 05, 11:58 AM
June Mackenzie

Yes--cats need companionship! I think they're much happier even if they
don't outwardly show affection.

Bored kitten Harri Cat community 8 January 21st 05 04:15 AM
Photos - cold and bored cats Susan M Cat anecdotes 9 January 4th 05 04:08 AM