Purrs to the people in SE Asia

Old December 29th 04, 04:37 AM
Mathew Kagis

Default Purrs to the people in SE Asia

Death toll keeps climbing. News gets worse. I've seen footage of places I
spent time in when I was there. (Spent a winter in Thailand in '94/'95)...
Spots around Krabi, Rai Lay & Ko Phi Phi .... are just GONE!!! Can't
imagine what's going on in the Maldives.... 6 meter waves hitting islands
who's highest point is 3 meters above sea level. Purrs, prayers & hopes
going out to all who are there.

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old December 29th 04, 05:09 AM
Dee

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Mathew Kagis wrote:

Death toll keeps climbing. News gets worse. I've seen footage of places I
spent time in when I was there. (Spent a winter in Thailand in '94/'95)...
Spots around Krabi, Rai Lay & Ko Phi Phi .... are just GONE!!! Can't
imagine what's going on in the Maldives.... 6 meter waves hitting islands
who's highest point is 3 meters above sea level. Purrs, prayers & hopes
going out to all who are there.

While purrs and prayers are lovely thoughts, the people of South East Asia
need our donations of cash and supplies really badly right now. Don't
think that you can't afford to contribute, no amount is too small. You
you can start by checking out some of the following sites:

unicefusa.org
www.doctorswithoutborders.org
www.MethodistRelief.org
www.WorldVision.org

Dee

Old December 29th 04, 05:59 AM
Mathew Kagis

While purrs and prayers are lovely thoughts, the people of South East

Asia
need our donations of cash and supplies really badly right now. Don't
think that you can't afford to contribute, no amount is too small. You
you can start by checking out some of the following sites:

unicefusa.org
www.doctorswithoutborders.org
www.MethodistRelief.org
www.WorldVision.org

Dee

Has been done. Still doesn't feel like enough.

Me, as well... hope the little I could afford does some good.

Old December 29th 04, 04:29 PM
Karen

"Sherry " wrote in message
Don't
think that you can't afford to contribute, no amount is too small.

Well, thanks for that thought. We are in a pinch right now financially,

and my
first thought is, "I can't afford to send anything right now."
But I look around at how bountiful my life really is compared to them, and

it
is almost obscene.
So I sent a donation. Not very much by anybody's standards but I hope it

helps
someone.
Sherry

When you consider a lot of these people affected make *maybe* $2.00 a day,
it probably is a lot by their standard. I just wish I could do more than
what I do. Up to 69,000 dead now estimated. As bad as I feel for the
toursists, I feel even worse for those who don't have anywhere to go to to
get out of it.

Old December 29th 04, 06:01 PM
CatNipped

"Melissa Houle" wrote in message

Karen Chuplis wrote in message
in article twqAd.15542$Y72.6461@edtnps91, Mathew Kagis at

wrote on 12/28/04 10:37 PM:

Death toll keeps climbing. News gets worse. I've seen footage of

places I
spent time in when I was there. (Spent a winter in Thailand in

'94/'95)...
Spots around Krabi, Rai Lay & Ko Phi Phi .... are just GONE!!! Can't
imagine what's going on in the Maldives.... 6 meter waves hitting

islands
who's highest point is 3 meters above sea level. Purrs, prayers &
hopes
going out to all who are there.

It's awful to see all the emails and posts of people looking for fathers

and
sons and daughters and in laws that they have not heard from since

Christmas
It is truly horrendous.

I'm afraid that for some, purrs are far too late, and for others, a life
raft would be of more immediate help. It's a horrendous tragedy. Donations
to the Red Cross and any and all relief organizations are urgently needed.
I stayed out of the US bashing thread, but I have to say, I'm embarrassed
that my country has only coughed up 35 million for aid in this monumental
disaster thus far when just days ago, we spent 53 billion on a missile
defense test that completely fizzled. If we want to improve our
international image, leading the way in disaster relief would be an
excellent place to start, as help is going to be urgently needed for a
long
time.

I agree. Just after I finished bragging about my country it does something
shameful like this!

Hugs,

CatNipped

/rant mode off,

Melissa

Old December 29th 04, 06:41 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , CatNipped at

wrote on 12/28/04 10:37 PM:

[...]

Then it is just up to us citizens to donate to the organizations that need
to get supplies over there! That is what is really the country, not just our
government.