Serious Constipation

Old September 6th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Default Serious Constipation

DrLargePants wrote:
Our cat had her colon removed after a week of daily trips to the vet.
She just could not get anything to move and time was running out.
The vet sent us to a great surgeon at an emergency clinic.

Did she have issues with incontinence after the procedure ?

Urination was fine, but she did have diarrhea. We were warned of that
because the colon is what takes the water out of the feces. I was
actually glad to see the diarrhea, that things were moving through. All
we did was change to a clumping litter for her.

The vet said some cats' small intestines start taking over for the colon
and form solid feces. He seemed to think cats are a miracle! Sweeter now
only has occasional diarrhea.

Rhonda

Old September 6th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

Urination was fine, but she did have diarrhea. We were warned of that
because the colon is what takes the water out of the feces. I was
actually glad to see the diarrhea, that things were moving through. All
we did was change to a clumping litter for her.

The vet said some cats' small intestines start taking over for the colon
and form solid feces. He seemed to think cats are a miracle! Sweeter now
only has occasional diarrhea.

tbh I'd be glad to see him have diarrhea now! I don't think I could
cope with diarrhea 24/7 though.

Oddly enough the vet is now sugesting that he should go on a (higher)
fibre food and a different drug.

Old September 7th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

DrLargePants wrote:

Rhonda wrote:
Urination was fine, but she did have diarrhea. We were warned of that
because the colon is what takes the water out of the feces. I was
actually glad to see the diarrhea, that things were moving through. All
we did was change to a clumping litter for her.

The vet said some cats' small intestines start taking over for the colon
and form solid feces. He seemed to think cats are a miracle! Sweeter now
only has occasional diarrhea.

tbh I'd be glad to see him have diarrhea now! I don't think I could
cope with diarrhea 24/7 though.

You could cope -- it's far worse for the cat. All we have to do is use
scoopable cat litter and then it's about the same as urine in the litter
box.

Oddly enough the vet is now sugesting that he should go on a (higher)
fibre food and a different drug.

The problem with the fiber is that it may work well on new feces being
formed -- but the stuff already in him is probably rock hard. The body
pulls the fluid out of it. Is your cat getting sub-cu fluids to try to
hydrate it?

The only hope is really to get it hydrated and softened, and to get the
muscles of the intestine working. Sweeter's colon was so stretched that
the muscles would no longer work. I hope your cat is not at that stage yet.

Rhonda

Old September 7th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

The problem with the fiber is that it may work well on new feces being
formed -- but the stuff already in him is probably rock hard. The body
pulls the fluid out of it. Is your cat getting sub-cu fluids to try to
hydrate it?

The only hope is really to get it hydrated and softened, and to get the
muscles of the intestine working. Sweeter's colon was so stretched that
the muscles would no longer work. I hope your cat is not at that stage yet.

Well he's had another enema but is off his food and hasn't passed
anything since. He was fine until a week ago as well, thats what I
don't understand

Old September 7th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catman 07

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:06:44 -0000, DrLargePants
wrote:

Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
(googlegroups link he http://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

However in the last 6 months or so, he seems to be having to go back
to the vet for a clean out more and more frequently. The last time he
was at the vets for nearly a week, and he's been back now for less
than a week and seems to be suffering again (he's back to the vets
tonight).

We're trying to manage his condition with lactulose, and another
product which is supposed to force his innerds to contract and move
the stool along quicker (the name escapes me), but it doesn't seem to
be working at all.

I had a BIG problem with my own constipation and megacolon. The "cure"
for me was, and is: 1/2 tsp/day of epsom salts. That is: MAGNESIUM
SULFATE! My body absorbs what it needs from the gut and leaves the
excess Mg in the gut,which holds water. Mg is absolutely necessary for
proper muscle contraction, including the digestive tract, in cats as
well as humans. In your case, the BIG question to be answered is: does
magnesium SULFATE acidify the urine?! I'm sure you are aware of the
bad name Mg has regarding FLUTD in cats. There is serious debate
around this issue. From what I understand, crystals and stones of Mg
CANNOT form in acid urine. You can probably find the answer on the web
somewhere. If I knew that MgSO4 acidified urine, I would give the
epsom salts a try to treat my male cats severe constipation. Why not?
Hopefully, someone who knows more than me can answer that. Ask your
vet.
In humans, too much epsom salts causes severe diarrhea. I started
with 1/4 tsp/d and worked up from there. Not too much and not too
little, but just right is what you're after.The way I would do it for
my cat would be to dissolve 1/4 tsp in a cup of warm water, and then
add 1/2 tsp of that liquid to my cat's canned food.
Catman

This is all starting to sound worryingly like megacolon. I've heard
one of the solutions to this is to remove all or part of the colon.
Has anyone had any experience of a cat that has had this done ?

Here he is anyway:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=627125965

Old September 8th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

On 5 Sep, 16:06, DrLargePants wrote:
Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
(googlegroups link hehttp://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Well he's back from the vets. He's totally clear now but he's not
eating any food (still drinking though). I think he's had too much
lax at the vets as he' straining to poo all the time but not passing
anything.

Hopefully he'll start eating soon. Very worried

Old September 8th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

I would try warmed, meated baby food (without onion). I usually am able to
"jump start" my cat's appetite this way.
Gail
oups.com...

Old September 10th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

On 5 Sep, 16:06, DrLargePants wrote:
Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
(googlegroups link hehttp://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Much better today, eating and drinking normally and very chirpy. Just
need to wait and see if he can pass solids normally.

Old September 15th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

Last year our cat was suffering with serious constipation
(googlegroups link hehttp://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Well he's much better now: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=627125965

He seems to really dig liquid paraffin, so he's passing solids OK so
far.

Fingers crossed....