OT - How Do You Cope?

Old September 26th 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_3_]

Default OT - How Do You Cope?

When you are really, really ill or hurt, what steps to you take to help? Do
you go the everything has to be quiet, lights darkened, like in the bed and
try to nap. Or do you go the exact opposite - wanting as many activities
around as can distract your mind from you own problems. Which do you think
is better and why do you believe that/

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old September 27th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

In article ,
"CatNipped" wrote:

When you are really, really ill or hurt, what steps to you take to help? Do
you go the everything has to be quiet, lights darkened, like in the bed and
try to nap. Or do you go the exact opposite - wanting as many activities
around as can distract your mind from you own problems. Which do you think
is better and why do you believe that/

What tends to help me is something of a combination - alternating
between being busy and getting what I can done, and resting for a while
whether that be napping or meditating or gentle stretching. I don't
generally get that much done, but it helps chase away the 'I can't do
anything' gremlins that just make depression worse. Going either way
solid is, I believe, going into the realm of escapism and burying issues
that need to be faced (if only to tell them to F off) which is...
crazymaking.

Snuggle time with the kitties, of course, is mandatory.

--
minnow ^..^

http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old September 27th 10, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
CatNipped typed:
When you are really, really ill or hurt, what steps to you take to
help? Do you go the everything has to be quiet, lights darkened,
like in the bed and try to nap. Or do you go the exact opposite -
wanting as many activities around as can distract your mind from you
own problems. Which do you think is better and why do you believe
that/

Depends what is doing the 'hurt'.

Sometimes lying in a dark, quiet room by myself is the best thing ever, but
sometimes going out into the wild blue yonder is what I need to do.
Sometimes, doing so with alot of friends, sometimes one really good friends,
sometimes by myself. Sometimes jsut realising life goes on is the practical
slap in the face i need, sometimes I need some time out, sometimes I need to
be comforted and 'fussed'.

I can't say that any one way is right, it depends on what (or who) is the
cause of my pain.

Yowie

Old September 27th 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 27 Sep, 07:45, "Yowie" wrote:

Depends what is doing the 'hurt'.

Sometimes lying in a dark, quiet room by myself is the best thing ever, but
sometimes going out into the wild blue yonder is what I need to do.
Sometimes, doing so with alot of friends, sometimes one really good friends,
sometimes by myself. Sometimes jsut realising life goes on is the practical
slap in the face i need, sometimes I need some time out, sometimes I need to
be comforted and 'fussed'.

I can't say that any one way is right, it depends on what (or who) is the
cause of my pain.

Yowie

I agree. If my foot is injured and I can barely walk, I lie up with
some painkillers and a good book. If I'm feeling low, I go for a long
walk in the countryside; I've found it's impossible to watch ducks and
stay miserable. If I'm worried about doing something that worries me,
I plan for it, and do it as soon as possible. If I'm bereaved or
feeling lost, then books, TV, writing or simply doing some
fundraising / volunteering all provide temporary distractions from the
pain.

Jeanette
Old September 27th 10, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

epends, if its a migraine, quiet, as dark is no longer an issue, lol, or i
puke uncontrollably, for all other illnesses, including cold/flu/viruses to
regular ongoing pain, i don't have much choice in the matter, we mst work
seven days a week, on really bad days dh goes alone, when he is ill as long
as dh can drive he gets me there and i do all of it with a visual check from
him, being self employeed means you don;t get to be really "n bed" ill very
foten, Lee

Old September 27th 10, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
When you are really, really ill or hurt, what steps to you take to help?
Do you go the everything has to be quiet, lights darkened, like in the bed
and try to nap. Or do you go the exact opposite - wanting as many
activities around as can distract your mind from you own problems. Which
do you think is better and why do you believe that/

--

I fell and broke my nose. The first thing I wanted to do was hide from the
world. My entire face still hurts and sleeping with an ice pack on your

But I go about my business, cooking, cleaning, doing normal stuff. I washed
my car. I water the plants. Scoop Persia's litter box and make sure she's
taken care of. And she's been a good nurse-cat. I was worried at first
she'd tap me on my broken (ouch!) nose but she hasn't. She just curls up
next to me and doesn't touch my face.

Pamper yourself. Soak in a nice bath. Don't feel the need to do everything
all day long. Try to relax. I'm not saying climb into bed and stay there,
just take a nap now and then.

Jill

Old September 27th 10, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Jill,

there is good news/bad news where your nose is concerned, i have broken mine
several times, it usually doesn't take the whole year for the constant
aching pain to stop, one day you will realise that you are breathing and
blowing your nose with out pain, but if you bump it in any way, the pain is
just as you experienced when you broke it without the crunching sound and
brusing, good luck, it really does suck,

Old September 27th 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2010-09-26 5:34 PM, CatNipped wrote:
When you are really, really ill or hurt, what steps to you take to help? Do
you go the everything has to be quiet, lights darkened, like in the bed and
try to nap. Or do you go the exact opposite - wanting as many activities
around as can distract your mind from you own problems. Which do you think
is better and why do you believe that/

Like the others - it varies. If it's largely physical, such as my feet
or knees acting up, I try to rest up, take my medicine, distract myself
with books or dvds and keep my temper. I find it very easy to be
bad-tempered if something hurts, or, in the opposite situation, if I
don't really feel that bad, but I'm supposed to stay home quietly so I
don't spread germs or something, but I'm bored and whiny.

I definitely find that at the worst times, making myself keep a routine
- proper eating, sleeping, and religious activities - helps, and so does
reaching out to others in some way, volunteer work, visiting with
friends etc.

Of course, when I'm feeling really terrible, that's exactly the time
when I don't want to make the effort to do this sort of thing, because I
think I can't, and I also think I can't do some kind of easier version
of maintaining a good lifestyle - making sure that I have the proper
balance in my physical, mental and spiritual life even if I can't eat
out or cook big meals; in general, do things the way I used to when I
was better.

--
Cheryl P.
Old September 27th 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"moonglow minnow" wrote
"CatNipped" wrote:

When you are really, really ill or hurt, what steps to you take to help?

What tends to help me is something of a combination - alternating
between being busy and getting what I can done, and resting for a while
whether that be napping or meditating or gentle stretching. I don't

Same here. I'm on vacation until Friday. Every hour or so I get up and do
a little something. I'm currently filtering out some stuff in my garage to
donate (freecyle) to a local church daycare. They operate a volunteer setup
3 days a week where for a very small fee you can drop off 6mo-5YO for a few
hours. Folks who use it give back 1 day every 2 weeks or something like
that. (Yes, they have primary licensed persons there as well). Anyways,
provides a little socialization while also giving 'Mommie' (or Daddy
sometimes!) a little 'me' time. Current call is for things they can use in
crafting.

So. I'm filtering out cloth ribbons, large buttons (too large to be
dangerous swallow items), fabric scraps, yarn, old playdough (added some
water to one and seeing if it is workable), plastic bottles with lids, epsom
salts, vegetable based food coloring, stray magazines, whatever else comes
to mind.

Every 2 hours I have to lay down for 15-20 mins. (neck acting up just now).
Nap or read, depending on how I feel.

Old September 27th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^^=[_3_]

I cope with my constant leg/knee pain,[ both feel like they are broken,]
by taking my pain meds [not often enough my dh says] and sleeping and
then
going online and watching watching TV. Works for me. Wish I could take a
nice hot bath but my knees won't bend enough to let me into the tub, so I
have to rely on a shower, which thankfully has bars to hold onto.
Love,
Kyla