OT Disenfranchised!!!!!!!!! (rant)

Old November 5th 04, 12:47 PM
jmcquown

There are three different head lamps on Amazon.co.uk; items 71388,
64268
and 64269. The first one is with a LED, so it might be such a small
one
you are talking about, but unfortunately there is no pic available
of it
on Amazon. The other two look like they had halogen-lamps.

101 uses of a head-mounted LED light... cycling :-) I kid you not.
When I'm cycling during hours of darkness, I have two "normal" front
lights on the bike (each has five *big* white LEDs so as well as
being seen, they give enough illumination for me to see the road in
front), two to three rear LEDs (red ones, here in Old Blighty, and I
have one steady and the others flashing), I am also swathed head to
foot in acres of reflectives & reflectives on the bike too. Then.. I
have a small white LED attached to my helmet. It is *excellent* - It
*really* gets me noticed. I think it's a bit of the WTFIT (What The
F**k Is That) factor. As a result, the entire Unfit Family have
helmet mounted LED lights for use during hours of darkness as well as
lights & reflectives on selves & bikes.

So if you hear of reports of low-flying UFOs in Norfolk....

Cheers, helen s

Thank you for making yourself seen! If it hadn't been for the reflectors on
the back of a bicycle's peddles (and that's ALL that was reflective) I could
well have run over a cyclist the other (rainy) night. He was swathed in
grey and black! What on earth was he thinking?? Answer: he wasn't (or he
has a death wish).

Jill

Old November 5th 04, 06:36 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I bet if you ever get hit by a car, the driver will swear he didn't see
you. (I sincerely hope this never happens). Baggy has a red LED on his
collar which flashes when he moves.

Ah yes, the SMIDSY (sorry, mate, I didn't see you) routine. Happens too often
I'm afraid, but not to me personally - so far :-)

I find the odd "**Oi!!!**" combined with a direct stare at the driver (eye
contact essential) and pointing with my finger directly at said driver, can
have a wonderful effect on gaining the attention of the unobservant
motorist.Mind you I do also say thank you (verbally or by friendly wave) when a
driver has shown courtesy. I find that courtesy works wonders - and I do
believe that if I am a courteous cyclist, aknowledging courtesy shown to me,
the driver may just be courteous to the next cyclist :-) I much prefer to keep
the "**Oi!!**" moments to an absolute minimum.

I'm not sure what effect the sight of me in fluorescents, reflectives and lit
up like a Christmas tree has on the mental well-being of my cats though... or
the neighbours ;-)

Cheers, helen s
(fatbirdonabike)

**$om $

Old November 6th 04, 02:29 PM
Adrian

Melissa Houle wrote:
Sigh.... The election is the main reason I haven't been around much,
recently. John Kerry was one of us, folks--a cat person. The people
have spoken, yes, but it's going to be a looong time before I'm
resigned to losing a potentially great president. And I believe he
would have been one of our better presidents, even if he was
intermittently a VERY frustrating candidate. To all cat lovers
across the various waters, I'm sorry. We really DID try. This has
been the most passionate election of my adult life. But we're still
stuck with the same C student Evangelical. What was so hard on
Election Day was watching the returns, believing Kerry would pull
ahead at any minute, but it kept not happening.

I was wondering if John Kerry was a cat person. Do you know how many
cats he has?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.